PDA

View Full Version : DNX 8 Users and Demo'ers

whodat
02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
I am currently using the Tour 10V-E MP--modified grommets. After reading your threads and doing some thinking, I decided to give the DNX 8 a whirl because I wanted a bit more pop on my serve. I was impressed with its power from the ground and on the serve. However, I could not generate the type of kick that I normally hit with my VE, granted that the demo used 16g NXT whereas I hybrided 17 Klip Legend. I have only played with it on a limited basis though. I have also played previously with the Pure Drive until my wrist started hurting. My questions are:
1. Has anyone hit with the DNX8 long enough to believe that it will less likely cause wrist and shoulder problems?
2. Should I demo/wait longer for more extensive reviews of this racquet or go ahead and dive into the frenzy of the DNX8 rave?
I have a tournament this weekend and would like to use my own gut setup if I decide to go with this racquet, but I would like some inputs. Thanks.

bagung
02-27-2006, 11:15 PM
i also ordered dnx 8 based on all the reviews i read.. how do you compare the dnx8 and the pd?

vin
02-28-2006, 07:28 AM
I don't think the DNX 8 has been out long enough to really tell how arm safe it is, but I find it very comfortable. I've played with it about 10 times and have yet to experience a harsh feeling from it. I can't say the same for some frames with much lower flex ratings.

I have a somewhat sensitive shoulder that was dislocated and fractured. Sometimes harsh or extended length rackets will cause some discomfort, but not the DNX 8.

I tried the T10 VE MP for a few weeks and did get good spin with it, but I get more spin with the DNX 8 without a doubt. Spin comes easy for me with most rackets though.

Hope that helps. :)

whodat
02-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Vin.

The PD and the DNX8 if you compare side by side they look like paint jobs of each other. Their specs are almost the same except that the DNX swings a bit lighter. I liked the PD when I first played with it but after about three months, I noticed that my wrist was starting to hurt. I never had elbow or shoulder issues with the PD however. If the DNX8 alleviates this problem then I would seriously consider buying this racquet.

vin
02-28-2006, 11:29 AM
No problem.

I hit with the PD a few years ago and there's three things I remember.

1. I hit great serves.
2. It was suprisingly comfy for groundies
3. It made my wrist hurt pretty bad if I mishit a volley.

I guess the woofer grommets only work when you hit the strings. :)

NoBadMojo
02-28-2006, 02:17 PM
I had a hit today with a fellow TP who is also a Tour Trainer using the PD Standard. We hit a bunch of frames including the DNX8 (DNX8,9,10, PD, and T10MPGen1). He told me he would email me a brief summary comparing the DNX8 to the PD Standard, and I will create a thread and post his email into it.

saf
03-01-2006, 09:37 AM
NoBad,

If you get a chance, tell me his thoughts on the DNX 9. I really like mine and am contemplating a switch. I've got it weighted up to 343 grams.

Thanks!

NoBadMojo
03-01-2006, 10:44 AM
saf,
sorry hoss but he didnt hit the DNX9. wouldnt be his thing..he's more of a rip the felt off the ball from the backcourt sort of guy and the DNX9 isnt that sort of frame if you know what I mean? <although it is certainly good from the backcourt as you might agree>. sounds like you've got your DNX9 frames playing like the 10VEMP's?

tom4ny
03-01-2006, 12:04 PM
the thing that i like so much about my t10mpve is the driving 'heaviness' that i get with my groundies and serves with their low spin away bounce. i have not been able to replicate that with other volkls. i might get the same pace, but not the same trajectory or bounce. i suspect that the dnx8 will be the same. i'd have fun hitting with it but i'd be back to my current frame. the dnx9 intrigues me tho.

p.s. a wise man once said 'look at what your ball does AFTER it hits' he's a smart guy and if you can find him hanging around here, he'll give ya some good pointers.

NoBadMojo
03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
wonder who said that? thanks man for the comp.
tom i agree..that frame does really allow you to hit a penetrating ball. the gen1's I use do the same especially hitting sliced BH's and that's why I keep hanging on. Seems like that is the trademark of the 10series frames and the Precise frame. So far the DNX9 doesnt do that for me..sliced BH's kind of seem to get stuck in the stringbed and too much of the energy gets converted to spin rather than forward momentum...but the DNX9 does some other stuff better..it's all about tradeoffs.
Tom I think you have supported me in a couple other threads, and I want you to know that I appreciate it. I dont even revisit those attacking treads..i just say i am leavng and i do as what crappy people have to say doesnt interest me or bother me, and i dont even read what they write anyway...

saf
03-01-2006, 07:01 PM
NBM,

Yes, I do have the DNX 9's weighted to play like the VEMP's. I really like a lot about the VEMP's, however, I seem to be a little lost on my doubles (volley) game with them. I seem to like the volley quite a bit better with the DNX 9's. I think the weight changes the way the frame plays dramatically. Much more power behind the balls. I think it is better on stretched slice bh's with the additional weight.

They are similar, but I need more match play to yield precise results. Match play's a little tough to come by now with my hectic schedule. I think the ball spins a little more and takes a BIT more a of a vertical trajectory with the VEMP's, however, I think the 9's ball might penetrate the court a little quicker. If I was a clay courter, I think I'd probably be sticking to the 10's. However, I realistically play 5-6 matches a year on clay and even at that most of those are doubles. Too, how much spin is enough spin for a hard court and an aggressive players game??? Like you said, it's all about trade off's, and I need to see which one is going to give the most positives to my game.

Time will tell how much I like the 9, but it's intrigued me so far.

Hope all is well and good luck with your experimentations. Keep us posted...

saf
03-01-2006, 07:02 PM
NBM,

Yes, I do have the DNX 9's weighted to play like the VEMP's. I really like a lot about the VEMP's, however, I seem to be a little lost on my doubles (volley) game with them. I seem to like the volley quite a bit better with the DNX 9's. I think the weight changes the way the frame plays dramatically. Much more power behind the balls. I think it is better on stretched slice bh's with the additional weight.

They are similar, but I need more match play to yield precise results. Match play's a little tough to come by now with my hectic schedule. I think the ball spins a little more and takes a BIT more a of a vertical trajectory with the VEMP's, however, I think the 9's ball might penetrate the court a little quicker. If I was a clay courter, I think I'd probably be sticking to the 10's. However, I realistically play 5-6 matches a year on clay and even at that most of those are doubles. Too, how much spin is enough spin for a hard court and an aggressive players game??? Like you said, it's all about trade off's, and I need to see which one is going to give the most positives to my game.

NoBadMojo
03-01-2006, 08:03 PM
NBM,

thanks saf. you too. thanks for sharing your game. these are all good choices i think. and i enjoy what i've been using for the last 4 years, so i'm not really looking as much as just havin fun hitting diff stuff. . since you shared yours, i have fun with the challenges of being an aging hardcourting all courter now playing pretty exclusively on the dirt and battling the young guys who just stay back and blast. not my best surface, but my body thanks me....since you are a TP, anything you can do to help your back and knees and hips and eyes and skin if you teach outside is good....those are the first to go if you've got good stroke production. if you teach a lot outside, pls get yourself some really good sunglasses and wear them always along with some serious spf...even when it isnt very sunny...later on, Ed

saf
03-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Great advice. I just had my big 30, so it's time for me to stop worrying about my tan and the bleached hair and take the sun issue a little more seriously. This summer I will be getting into the big hat thing and probably sun glasses.

Boy, I wish I had a clay court to teach on. Maybe if I every get enough money I can build one in my back yard. It's so much more foregiving on the legs and back. I've had two knee surgeries (during my college playing days) and the last year or two my lower back's been getting to me from standing so much. I've been going to swimming 2 times a week for work outs. A lot of stretching and strength training seems to help too.

It's good to hear the sun advice. I think in 20 years my body will be in much better shape if I take it seriously now.

Thanks...

vin
03-02-2006, 12:18 PM
I wish I had the luxury of worrying about my eyes and skin in March!

Hey Mojo, on the topic of protecting your eyes, do you wear sun glasses when you play matches? I tried those blue lense Bolle Compevision glasses last summer and had a tough time adjusting to them. When it gets warm enough to play outside, I am going to try them again.

NoBadMojo
03-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Vin and saf,
No....i really cant wear sunglasses for playing maches but always wear them when I teach even though I fog and sweat them up. I've seen too many older TP's w. really poor vision (especially the light eyed ones) from burning their retinas in the sun.
I borrowed the BolleVision things once...the ball does stand out i think, but i'm not a believer in over focusing on the ball ..fixation ain't good I dont think. I'm surprised that people never seem to mention the Bollevision glasses around here..i guess nobody uses them