PDA

View Full Version : tennis elbow from Wilson n6.1 95?

GrandSlam Legend
02-27-2006, 09:44 PM
i have this pinching problem in my right elbow... that goes up the back out side of the bicep... it doesnt go down my forearm... it goes up behind my upper arm like under my bicep or something not sure what the muscle is??? not sure what it is... is that tennis elbow?

i dont swing hard and have good technique and just started getting it after i switched from a prince racquet to a wilson racquet...

i play ITF and ranked in the lower 500s and im afraid that ill miss tournaments and drop far...

mislav
02-27-2006, 09:50 PM
What strings and strings tension do you use?

Actually that same racquet model is like a cure for my early stage of a golfers elbow which started developing while using other sticks.

Could it be that you just strained a muscle? If that's the case it might heal itself after few days rest.

louis netman
02-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Sometimes the body requires an adjustment period when switching to different swingweights, flexes, etc...BTW, what Prince frame are you coming from?
If it doesn't clear in two weeks, I'd suggest experimenting with string setup..

Alafter
02-27-2006, 11:32 PM
DUDE!!!

I am having similar problem right now. Anyways, mine is at the elbow, some kind of muscle or whatever running between 2 bones, and the pinching happens at the back of arm (which is called tricep) just right above the elbow. The pinching only comes from time to time when my arm is fully extended (1 hand backhand, topspin serve).

Is yours like this too? I am about to go see a doc soon. Just writing in to sympathize.

Marius_Hancu
02-28-2006, 05:58 AM
pretty sure it's TE

check my signature here, educate yourself, don't risk your playing career:

Great fitness sites
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33800

esp the Elbow and Wrist Pain sections

also search and read "elbow" and "wrist" related threads in the Health forum

Marius_Hancu
02-28-2006, 05:59 AM
n6.1 95 is pretty stiff (68]
you might want to consider Volkl or Head
also, other strings (multis or nat gut), less tension
perhaps it's just the adaptation process, but it might be serious

FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

DSL
02-28-2006, 06:21 AM
It sounds like tennis elbow to me. I've been playing for years and never had tennis elbow until last week. For me it was strange. I switched from a stiffer frame strung with polyester at 62# and never had a problem. Now I am playing with a much more flexible frame strung with gut/polyester hybrid at 58# and can barely move my arm. Especially at your level I would recommend resting and/or switching back to your old frame. Maybe adding a little extra weight to your new racquet will help, but I would put your health first rather than risking having to take a lot of time of in the future to recover.

GrandSlam Legend
02-28-2006, 07:42 AM
ohhh... i thought it wasnt stiff cause the website says 65 stiffness in rating?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=PTO that's the prince ih ad previously and had no problems... but i thought i'd step up to a heavier more flexible frame so i can have stable volleys

i was thinking of getting a wilson prostaff 95 or a nCode n6.1 nTour 90

so i have tennis elbow? dangit... can doctors diagnose if you have it or not and give you medication??

sureshs
02-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Lowest recommended tension for NCode 95 is 50 lbs. You should try that.

bengy088
02-28-2006, 08:30 AM
thought i'd share a similar story. my junior used wilson racquet (about 11 oz) for years and didn't have problem at all, but once he tried to switch to a heavier (over 12 oz) head racquet, he had elbow problem days after. however, now playing with a lighter head racquet (mid 11 oz), he has no pain at all. i'm so glad that i didn't keep him "adjusting" to the heaveir racquet, which could've given him persistent tennis elbow.

imo, if your situation isn't too long, you may demo a racquet about the same or close to the weight as your previous one for a period of time, if the pain goes away, then you know for sure.

NoBadMojo
02-28-2006, 08:39 AM
thought i'd share a similar story. my junior used wilson racquet (about 11 oz) for years and didn't have problem at all, but once he tried to switch to a heavier (over 12 oz) head racquet, he had elbow problem days after. however, now playing with a lighter head racquet (mid 11 oz), he has no pain at all. i'm so glad that i didn't keep him "adjusting" to the heaveir racquet, which could've given him persistent tennis elbow.

imo, if your situation isn't too long, you may demo a racquet about the same or close to the weight as your previous one for a period of time, if the pain goes away, then you know for sure.

Great post Bengy and welcome to the board. Lots of people automatically advise people to go heavier when someone gets TE and that doors swings both ways and can make the problem worse. Or sometimes people get tennis elbow by leaving something lighter and stiffer to something heavier as your junior has done. Also missing the sweetspot with any frame doesnt help (even if the frame is flexy), and the sweetspot is much easier to miss on smaller headed frames than larger headed ones (maybe people can agree with that). You can get tennis elbow from any racquet...lots of guys using wood frames back in the day had TE...the flex on those was prob in the 40's and they were certainly heavy enough..the swetspot on those was hard to hit however. Having decent technique is a given. People should buy something they can swing fast enough...if they dont. they often end up forcing spin and forcing pace, and that's never good.

loubapache
02-28-2006, 08:45 AM
There is something about this racquet that is causing problems. It could be the combination of weight, stiffness, and choice of strings.

I have been using it for about 6 months and really liked how I play with it. However, about a month ago, I just started feeling tired after playing long matches with it. No tennis elbow but just tired, especially in the shoulder.

I was using a poly (M)/Syn Gut (X) hybrid so the first thing I did was to reverse the hybrid to put the poly in the cross because I hate string movement. This past Saturday, I played in a Pro-Am fund raising event and after 5 rounds of doubles (6 games each round), my shoulders still feel very tight today (Tuesday).

In the last 6 months, I have gone back a few times to my leaded Tour 95 which is about 0.5 oz lighter than the N6.1 95 and I did not feel tired with that racquet.

Now I am going to give the Maxply McEnroe a try. Once they get here, I am going to put a bout 6 grams of lead in the handle and put two over grips over the leather grip so it is a little more head light. I intentionally ordered one size smaller (4-3/8) so I can make the small modifications on the handle. It should be about 0.5 oz lighter than the stock N6.1 95 and I will see how that goes.

Marius_Hancu
02-28-2006, 08:45 AM
so i have tennis elbow? dangit... can doctors diagnose if you have it or not and give you medication??

of course, go to an orthopedic surgeon specializing in arm problems, he would tell you the correct diagnosis.

what we do here is just making assumptions.

medication doesn't help too much. read the links I gave you. it's mainly rest and proper equipment.

95 has a pretty high swingweight, if you're not strong ...

the Prince you had wasn't much better though (too light, stiff, not enough head light), but you're lucky with it for a reason or another ...

DADYO
02-28-2006, 09:46 AM
No, I know what you mean, it's not tennis elbow.

I had the EXACT SAME pain the first day I used the nSix-one 95 Team and it went away the day after.

legolas
02-28-2006, 10:15 AM
i strung my ncode 90 at 62 once, geve me elbow pain, but i have been stringing at 55m/52c since then, it works perfect

tarkowski
02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
No, I know what you mean, it's not tennis elbow.

I had the EXACT SAME pain the first day I used the nSix-one 95 Team and it went away the day after.

I don't think it's tennis elbow either. I've had both a bicep strain and tennis elbow. Wth tennis elbow (and golfers elbow), you will experience pain at the joint on the forearm side, not the upper-arm side. TE is on the outside of the joint, GE is on the inside.

With TE, one test you can perform is bend your arm at 90% and grip something - anything. Even with TE, your grip will probably be strong with minimal pain. Now, extend your arm so it gets more and more straight, and perform the grip squeeze again. With TE, your grip will be significantly weaker because you will feel a lot more pain.

If it's a bicep strain, generally extending or contracting your arm will have minimal impact. And the pain will be on the upper-arm side (near the joint), but not the forearm side.

With a muscle strain (bicep, tricep), rest and time will clear it up pretty quickly. WIth TE, you have your work cut out for you.

Tezuka Kunimitsu
02-28-2006, 03:41 PM
I had the same pain; I stopped playing for a week. Starting take med. to get the swelling down, a lot of ice, babied my right arm, and fixed my technique. Arm more straight and not stapping my wrist. The pain stopped, so I guess it was slight elbow tennis. I caught it really early and it was due to over using my arm by demoing a lot of different rackets.

ShooterMcMarco
02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
The only time i had elbow pain with that racquet was when i strung it with hurricane. I don't know if that was the cause, but I also think I had bad forehand technique. I switched back to a synthetic gut job afterwards so I won't aggravate it and cause the pain to resurface. Been over a year since, and I use a full ALU job and never had problems. So I guess it was my technique back then.