PDA

View Full Version : So what do you look for from your racquet?

vkartikv
02-28-2006, 07:34 AM
In light of the resurgence of the popularity of the 6.0 85 (and other midsized frames) and NBMJs attempt to convert/upgrade us midsize users to MPs, let me ask this question:
What do you look for from your racquet? Are you just out there to have a good time? Are you really serious about what you do and use a racquet that has no feel but is more suited to your game? Or do you just ignore everything and use the same racquet you have used over the last 2 or more years?

NBMJ, I am not taking a dig at you but I see you take pleasure in members' posts about how they gave up their mids to move up (is it really a move upwards?) to MPS.

louis netman
02-28-2006, 09:23 AM
My category would be: "I need a racket that fits my style, feels pretty good, gives me some extra juice... and doesn't hurt my arm..." It will most likely be a fruitless quest, given the criteria..

Django
02-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Great question. Recent threads have really prompted a lot of thinking regarding the trade-offs for me of switching from a 12-ounce stick (currently the Volkl Tour 10 Gen2) to perhaps a lighter but stiffer racquet (the DNX8 or DNX9). And there ARE trade-offs, no doubt about it. Whatever racquet we currently use will allow us to do some things very well (crush forehands, rip serves, volley w/ controlled accuracy -- whatever) while not addressing other areas with the same impact.

So, to me, it comes down to that familiar dilemma that faces so many tennis players. Nick Bollitieri would recommend that rather than spend a ton of practice time correcting your weaknesses (your topspin backhand, for example) you spend more time perfecting your weapon (your down-the-line forehand winner, for example). Then, you build your on-court strategy around that weapon. (Sorry, Nick, I'm oversimplifying here, but the TW board will have to forgive me.)

The same may apply to racquet selection: Do you pick a racquet that emphasizes the strengths in your game -- or one that helps shore up your weaknesses?

There are times when a lighter racquet certainly would help me generate better racquet-head speed; and maybe better maneuverability would help w/ my weak returns of serve. But I'm not sure I want to give up the comfy Volkl 10-series feel for all those points when I move my feet, get there in time, set up properly, keep my eye on the freakin' ball, and confidentally strike a winner w/ 12 ounces of Volkl mojo.

But that's just me.