PDA

View Full Version : Can you just resting the crosses???

Jay Welvaert
02-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Hey, I just broke a cross of technifibre E- Matrix in 3 days and I was wondering if I could just restring the crosses because I have luxilon in the mains and that was just a waist of money having the string job for 3 days and paying like 15 bucks for the string job. I string at 64 and if I can restring just the crosses will it be at a different tension that before because of the mains losing tension when you take out the crosses? Also is it safe for the frame because if its not I dont want to restring it? Also any recomendations if I can restring the crosses that will make it safer for doing it?

Thanks, Jay

NoBadMojo
02-29-2004, 02:37 PM
when i break a string, i cut all the strings before going home if possible. i wouldnt leave just lux mains strung at that high of a tension in there w. a broken string, but i am thinking people may differ on this. Ed

Jerry Seinfeld
02-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Jay,

Don't do it! :shock: The risks clearly outweigh the rewards on this one.

Take the stick back to the stringer and tell him you need a more durable cross. Ask him if he would be willing to give you a discount since it was only strung 3 days ago. To keep a regular customer, he may throw a discount your way. Just depends on his philosphy. If you were my customer I'd provide some discounts to help you find the best string combination. Part of my motivation would be earning your loyalty and I'd hope you'd refer friends and teammates my way.

Good luck!

Gaines Hillix
02-29-2004, 04:43 PM
It's not really recommended, but if you were stringing for yourself you could do it. The catch is you need to get your racquet back on the machine asap. The racquet will be under a lot of stress with a broken cross. You would need to get it mounted on the machine and then cut out the rest of the crosses alternating from the head half to the throat half and then restring the crosses right away. For durability, a solid core nylon syn gut is better in the crosses than a multi in a hybrid.

David Pavlich
02-29-2004, 06:56 PM
If a customer asked me to do it, I'd say no. However, it's your racquet and if you wish to risk it, then give it a go.

But my advice is no.
David

coachrick
02-29-2004, 06:59 PM
I've done this quite a few times with Kevlar mains(usually at a lower tension). Agree that the rackets needs to be machine mounted ASAP unless the mains are at a low tension and the crosses aren't creeping. If the frame distorted at all when the strings broke, quickly cut the mains to equalize the stress. Would be more interesting for a 'self-stringer' to run home and install something that's been sitting around looking for a home. Wouldn't expect Matrix to last long as the cross in a poly hybrid--wouldn't expect it to last long as mains in any case.

Loud
02-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Is all that work really worth saving the mains? I would just cut them out and pick a more durable cross the next time.

joe sch
03-01-2004, 06:19 PM
I have done it many times *but* if you are playing a light new technology frame with higher tension stringing, ex 11oz airshell at 60+ lbs, then I would recommend cutting all the strings asap after the break since the stress may break the frame before it normally short lifespan :wink: Back in the wood era, patching breaks was more common since stringing was more expensive especially for some of the better natural gut jobs. Here is a TAD imperial which show a good examples of a patch job http://www.woodtennis.com/strings/imperialTADpatch.jpg

norcal
03-03-2004, 06:42 AM
I've done it many times w/ kevlar and now poly mains with no problems. I usually do it when pressed for time (like yesterday I had only 20 mins to string and get to the court so didn't have time for a total restring); normally I will do the whole job....don't like the way the mains lose so much tension....