PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Benefits

Artful Spinner
06-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Hmm, so i've read many posts as of lately... and I am becoming quite confused between the benefits from the hybrid combinations. Such as, poly (mains) gut (crosses), or vice versa.... Could someone please clarify what each is "meant" to do? and what would be optimal for more spin/feel. Also, if anyone has tried the poly 5-star from luxilon.... how has that gone? =P

Thanks much,
A fellow string destroyer....

NoBadMojo
06-15-2004, 04:44 PM
poly mains and gut crosses = soften the harsh hit of poly but still have durability. personally i think putting gut in the crosses is a huge waste of money when you can use a cheap soft syn gut.
gut mains and poly crosses = tame the power of gut and increase durability and also get much of the feel of the gut
gut mains and cheap syn gut crosses = dramatically reduce the cost of an all gut stringjob w.o losing much of the playability of gut
hope this helps. ed

jings
06-15-2004, 06:35 PM
So much of hybriding is up to the individual and their racquet. NBM's comments are certainly true in general, but until you've experimented you won't really know what feels best for you. If you do break strings often then you have a great chance to experiment regularly. Have fun with it.

bsandy
06-16-2004, 11:18 AM
I use two different hybirds . . .

Gut in the mains and ALU Rough, gives me all the power of gut, most of the softness, twice the duability of good synths, and some spin from the ALU rough.

TIMO 18 and Bab razor, spins the ball like nothing I've ever seen, but takes a toll on my arm, bacause I have to smack it and it is still pretty firm.

I'm a big fan of rough strings in the crosses. They just sit there, they might as will add a little friction.

. . . Bud

borisboris
06-16-2004, 11:32 AM
:lol: It's great having your own stringer. I've been experimenting w/ various hybrid combo's and having a blast. TRIAL & ERROR is how we progress thru life. I like putting cheap syn gut in the X's with poly = cheaper and can't tell the difference. I just hybrid nat gut + Gosen Bio Gut Poly. The "SOFT POLY" is to help the $ of gut and deaden the feel and power of GUT. It worked - I strung the X's higher by 4 lbs. Still had ULTRA POWER. Research this board and all your Q & A's will be answered. :twisted:

Artful Spinner
06-17-2004, 01:51 AM
I guess there's some work to go for me... with the whole hybrid deal... hehe. Thanks guys =]