PDA

View Full Version : Volkl DNX8 from a PureDrive users POV

NoBadMojo
02-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I had a hit today with my buddy Paul who is a TP and also a Tour Trainer. He uses the PD Standard.
I took a bunch of bats out on court and hit the DNX8,9,10, and my present T10MP Gen1's and we hit a volume of balls.
Paul hit the PD and the DNX8..here is what he had to say
<snip>
I tried the new Volkle racquet today (please fill in the type it was). I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how much control and power it gave me. The weight and balence was perfect and it gave me a very predictable hit off of it. After using it for several minutes I found that it has a great blend of balence and stability throughout it. I've demo'ed racquets in the past and usually I would have to take a few hits to get use to it, but not this one, it's a keeper! The stiffness of the racquet was not too great but just enough to allow for great feel of the ball and give great control. The sound of the ball off the racquet was pleasent; not high pitched, but rather soft which was how it felt. Great kudos to the boys at Volkle! Im a fan for sure!
<end snip>

Paul is a good guy and really knows his stuff. He is currently working with Justin Gimlestab and was training Ginepri before and when he made his big run. Paul has a training concept which is phone, fax, internet, and email based and his website is pisanitraining.com for those of you who are very serious about tennis or cycling fitness, and fitness in general. Yes, this is a blatant plug for my bud Paul Pisani.

scotus
02-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Paul hit the PD and the DNX8..here is what he had to say
<snip>
The stiffness of the racquet was not too great but just enough to allow for great feel of the ball and give great control.
<end snip>

It's understandable that DNX would not feel too stiff to a Pure Drive user, but would you say it is arm-friendly?

NoBadMojo
02-28-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure what your definition is of arm friendly. it's still a stiff frame, but it is comfortable for it's stiffness. I wouldnt suggest it to someone suffering from TE <or something>, nor would I recommend stringing it too tightly or with poly <but you shouldnt have to because it is controllable power>, i also wouldnt stick a leather grip on there.

jackcrawford
02-28-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure what your definition is of arm friendly. it's still a stiff frame, but it is comfortable for it's stiffness. I wouldnt suggest it to someone suffering from TE <or something>, nor would I recommend stringing it too tightly or with poly <but you shouldnt have to because it is controllable power>, i also wouldnt stick a leather grip on there.
Thanks for the update, NBM. Like you pointed out, the PD can be a rocket launcher strung low and I use it that way as a counterpuncher. I was curious what a really good PD user would think of it.

NoBadMojo
02-28-2006, 07:00 PM
yw jack. i think the DNX8 is a very versatile bat. it's a PureDrive with none of the down sides. FYI the one he hit was strung w. gut hybrid at around 57-58 (a powerful setup in this frame). he was getting better control out of this than with his usual PD and setup which is around 64-65 w. Bab Excel or around 60-62 w. ALU. I think around 60 w. a good multi would give him what he wants and needs out of the DNX8
Just to clarify, Paul is a more modern hitter ..He's a baseliner w. a 1HBH and hits it hard with lots of spin from both sides and can run all day. SW and open stanced. Good first serve. 2nd is exploitable.

bcaz
02-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Ed, thanks for the update. One thing you've said in the past that stuck with me is to heed how the ball behaves after it hits. You also like to play against the racquet you are demoing to test "heaviness," spin, etc. Since you know this guy's game, how did the DNX 8 compare to other sticks he's used when you hit with him?

vin
03-01-2006, 05:15 AM
So ... is he going to switch? :mrgreen:

I've been having a hard time putting a good fitness program together, I'll have to check this guy's site out.

Good question bcaz!

NoBadMojo
03-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Ed, thanks for the update. One thing you've said in the past that stuck with me is to heed how the ball behaves after it hits. You also like to play against the racquet you are demoing to test "heaviness," spin, etc. Since you know this guy's game, how did the DNX 8 compare to other sticks he's used when you hit with him?

yw Bcaz. Ths would be a bit misleading as the DNX8 has gut hybrid in it, and Paul has ALU and Excel in his PD's. Gut does special things after the bounce which synthetics can't do in my estimation so not possible to fairly compare. Poly does special things in the air IMO at the rsk of your arm falling off. We're going to string one up with his usual string and the right tension for him <since he is switching Vin> and will be able to tell better then.
Our opinion is that he wasnt having the control issues he has with the PD, the stringbed is far more predictable, power is similar on both serves and gs's, he vollied better with the DNX and had a better ball feel for creating angles and such, and the frame is a lot more comfortable to hit.
I think Volkl really took apart the PD in the lab and built a much better PD..the profile is almost identical.