PDA

View Full Version : Need Volkl Historian: C7 Pro

louis netman
02-28-2006, 09:31 PM
I recently acquired a new cond C7 Pro from these message boards and it's really quite a sweet frame. I've been hard-pressed to find another. It's dark red with black trim with typical "fishnet" graphics of that time period. It says "fusion frame" on the throat. Some guy in England has a "C7 Pro" for sale. However, it's black with yellow trim and says "precise frame" on the throat. Does anyone know what the difference, if any, is? All replies are very much appreciated!

galain
03-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Louis

The red black and yellow c7 is the 'C7 Comp' from what I understand. I have one of these and quite like it. I don't really know how it differs from the 'C7 Pro' though. When I bought it, the Voelkl line up consisted of the C10, C9 (wild orange and black graphics, lighter than the 10 and 7), C8 (white and lighter than the 10 and 7), C7 (the red one you mention - heavier than the others except for the 10).

I don't recall a C6. After that, IIRC, Voelkl were promoting their 'Hotspots' - the V5 down to the V1. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Michael Musok
03-01-2006, 06:35 AM
I owned and played with both. The older C7 (red & black) was a much more solid frame than the newer one. As I remember them now, I kind of wish I never sold them.

03-01-2006, 06:58 AM
The Red "Classic C7 Pro" has fiberglass in the layup. The black/yellow "C7 Pro" had kevlar but no glass in its layup and played/felt only slightly stiffer and IMO was a bit less dampened. Both are seriously good frames and IMO way better than any C10 or VE10. I have a black/yellow C7 Pro as my second stick after my Fischer VT98 Pro - the only other frame I've ever tried that I like more than the C7 - and that's a LOT of frames.

03-01-2006, 07:01 AM
The Red "Classic C7 Pro" has fiberglass in the layup and the Fusion Frame which had a 'kidney bean' cross-section. The black/yellow "C7 Pro" had kevlar but no glass in its layup and a Precise Frame (elliptical x-section like the C10)IMO it played/felt only slightly stiffer but had about the same power level and IMO was a bit less dampened. Both are seriously good frames and IMO way better than any C9, C10 or VE10. I have a black/yellow C7 Pro as my second stick after my Fischer VT98 Pro - the only other frame I've ever tried that I like more than the C7 - and that's a LOT of frames! A great overall player's stick!

Red C7 dropped around 1999 and was replaced by Black C7 until 2002 when it too was dropped.

NoBadMojo
03-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Volkl back then offered 3 beam shapes..Precise Frame, Fusion Frame, and PowerFrame. The precise frame shape is still around and what is typically found on 10series frames as point of reference..it's the simple kidney shape. Back then Volkl was tweaking profiles and beam shapes in an effort to get more power rather than using stiffer materials. The Power frame was a wider beam with a diferent profile, and the Fusion frame incorporated elements of both the Precise Frame and Power Frame. I played C8Pros for about 5 years and they were Fusion frames and were a bit more powerful than the c10 inspite of being flexy, thin beamed, lightweight, and a 18mains pattern. I think all of the c series frames were terrific frames back in their day. They were also subject racquet fatigue. The newest c series frames (with the newer graphics and hologram stickers) seemed to alleviate the early fatigue. Rotating 5 frames, I was only getting 2-3 years out of my C8's..when a flexy frame fatigues, you're pretty much screwed i think

NoBadMojo
03-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Volkl back then offered 3 beam shapes..Precise Frame, Fusion Frame, and PowerFrame. The precise frame shape is still around and what is typically found on 10series frames as point of reference..it's the simple kidney shape. Back then Volkl was tweaking profiles and beam shapes in an effort to get more power rather than using stiffer materials. The Power frame was a wider beam with a diferent profile, and the Fusion frame incorporated elements of both the Precise Frame and Power Frame. I played C8Pros for about 5 years and they were Fusion frames and were a bit more powerful than the c10 inspite of being flexy, thin beamed, lightweight, and a 18mains pattern. I think all of the c series frames were terrific frames back in their day. They were also subject racquet fatigue. The newest c series frames (with the newer graphics and hologram stickers) seemed to alleviate the early fatigue. Rotating 5 frames, I was only getting 2-3 years out of my C8's..when a flexy frame fatigues, you're pretty much screwed i think