PDA

View Full Version : Volkl, Babolat, need advice

jever98
02-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Hi there,

I am a bit confused about my racquet choice and was hoping for some advice from experts here in the forum.

About me:
I am tall (6'7"), probably not the quickest or slowest. Don't have a massive serve and can hit with somebody, but cannot generate pressure against pushers. Often, when I play pushers, I start pushing myself and self destruct. In matches, I seek the net if possible, as I don't seem to able to play tough enough from the back to finish points. Don't have masses of match practise, basically have been playing very rarely over the last 6-7 years and intensively over the last year.

My racquets to date: used to play with Head Radical.Ti MP, then very shortly Head Prestige LM MP, now for one year Volkl Tour 10 mid, strung at 55lbs with Signum Pro Poly Plasma 1.18 (very popular in Germany). Like the Volkl best, since it seems a bit flexier in the frame and I liked the feel better than on the Heads.
the weakness I see is that I have some trouble generating spin on my backhand (2handed) and have some trouble getting really threatening power going unless someone hits it hard at me. Also, when under pressure (late preparation), I tend to lose length, may be due to the relatively low maneurability of the racquet?

My new racquet:
A week ago, I got the Babolat AeroPro Drive, strung it with the same string at 56lbs. My impression: a lot of depth and spin(which I like), but I am struggling on my forehand, as the racket feels light and I miss the feeling of the racquet "guiding" me through the ball, as the Volkl seems to do.
For example, I struggle to return serves, as my timing seems to be off and I just seem to get to the wrong place, expecting a heavier racket. When playing against a harder hitting player, I wasn't doing badly, but yesterday I played a soft hitter and couldn't deal with it at all. Ended up switching to the old racket in the middle of the match....

Now for my question. What would you guys recommend? I am a bit unsure what to do:
- Up the tension on the Babolat?
- Put some lead on it?
- Stay with the old racquet?
- Or is there a perfect in between racket?

The last thing is that I am in Kigali, Rwanda (africa), so testing is a bit difficult ;-).

Thanks for any advice and for the patience in reading this post...

Cheers,
Jever

bcaz
03-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the forum, Jever --

Given your location, you don't have the same access to equipment many of us have. Your tennis struggles sound very familiar. You may be better off to modify your racquet, but regardless, please continue to visit, especially the Tips & Instructions forum. You may find some very good suggestions there -- not necessarily about your racquet, but ways to improve the way you play tennis. Peace ...

AngeloDS
03-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Lower the tension to about 52 lbs, take more lengthy and slower strokes (hit through the ball rather than increase your swing speed and brush up on the ball more). You don't need to swing hard or fast, and can still generate a good amount of pace.

Your arm will feel good, and you'll get good feel and pop.

Marius_Hancu
03-01-2006, 03:12 AM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

Go Tennis
03-01-2006, 04:15 AM
You need very good acelleration to use Babolat Drive line in perfect way. Maybe it's a little early, you have to improve your tennis before. Also you don't need a 1.18mm (1.23mm is good) string to help your game. Not if you want to became a very good player. You have to play with good strokes to feel mentaly strong, what you need most in tennis. Instead I prefer the first Tour 10 MP, I think you could demo the Gen2 and forget about the Aero Drive.

tennisnj
03-01-2006, 04:21 AM
ENOUGH already with your link posting! PLEASE! This is the reason why I've put your posts on ignore! What a welcome from the board to a new member: A response that has a link about one person's detailed opinion's about something. I don't care whose or what link it is, this forum is about conversing/conversation. As a teacher, I don't answer questions my students ask by putting a website or even the answer on the board, we discuss it! We all know you're a wealth of knowledge Marius, but the most knowledgable people don't always make the best teachers or people to express that information. You're like the teacher who gives the same book test EVERY year in math class, doesn't even bother to change the questions.

dave k
03-01-2006, 05:54 AM
i had the exact same problem with mine. i solved it by putting lead on the inside throat of the racket on both sides. that added some weight but kept the swing weight the same. i also use 17ga multi, nrg or nxt.

Bolt
03-01-2006, 06:53 AM
ENOUGH already with your link posting! PLEASE! This is the reason why I've put your posts on ignore! What a welcome from the board to a new member: A response that has a link about one person's detailed opinion's about something. I don't care whose or what link it is, this forum is about conversing/conversation. As a teacher, I don't answer questions my students ask by putting a website or even the answer on the board, we discuss it! We all know you're a wealth of knowledge Marius, but the most knowledgable people don't always make the best teachers or people to express that information. You're like the teacher who gives the same book test EVERY year in math class, doesn't even bother to change the questions.

I concur.

louis netman
03-01-2006, 08:00 AM
First off, don't be so hard on yourself. Your new Bab is a completely different animal, not only in terms of swingweight, but just about everything else. Just like a cafe-bike will not handle like a motocrosser, your Bab will react differently to the groove your body has developed with the T10. If you truly think the Bab is the one, then give it some time. Try to engage in some extensive workout sessions to get to know the racket before putting any money on your matches...

NoBadMojo
03-01-2006, 08:46 AM
welcome jever...suggest you listen to louis netman. he speaks the truth. give yourself some time with your new gear and you'll likely figure it out. sounds like you've made a good choice based on what you say. what a racquet gives you in one area, it takes away in another.

jever98
03-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi guys,

thanks for the advice. There are some questions I would like to add:
- If I decide not to stick with the Bob, should I may be explore the Volkl Tour 10 MP V Engine or GenII. If so, any ideas on which is nicer? From the few things I read, the GenII seems more popular?
- I was thinking of trying a hybrid stringing setup with the Polyplasma 1.18 in the mains and a Kirschbaum Super Smash Spiky 1.28 in the crosses. Those are the only strings I have at the moment. Any reactions to this?

Cheers,
N

DANMAN
03-04-2006, 10:47 AM
My suggestion to you would be not to switch to another Volkl if you like the one you have, unless you are going from the T10 Mid to a midplus. The Gen II is lower powered and more flexible than the T10VEMP. I felt I had much better control with the Gen II. I liked the V-Engine when serving and and the Gen II when volleying. I thought the pretty much evened out on groundies...sliced a bit better with the Gen II but ripped the top better with the VE.

jever98
03-05-2006, 10:33 PM
A little update:
Played with the AeroPro Drive again yesterday, and found that if I don't try to take as full a back swing as on the Volkl, I can hit the ball quite deep and long without too much effort. It seems to me that I just mustn't try to hit the ball as much as with the Volkl.
This seems to give me more options in terms of accelerating the ball, but I am not sure that I can keep playing like this, basically not trying to hit the ball fully. But I try and see what happens over the coming week(s) to my game with the racquet.

On another note, does someone have experience with the Tour 10 MP GenII and the AeroPro Drive in comparative terms? I would be curious to know how they compare in terms of power, etc.

Thanks
Jever

AndrewD
03-06-2006, 03:56 AM
On another note, does someone have experience with the Tour 10 MP GenII and the AeroPro Drive in comparative terms? I would be curious to know how they compare in terms of power, etc.

Jever,
I've played with both frames (more time with the Gen2) and you're really talking about apples and oranges. The APD is stiff, light and powerful. The Gen2 is heavier (although it does have a low swingweight), flexible and is the sort of frame you need to supply most of the power.

I found it easier to generate spin with the APD. You can certainly hit with a lot of spin using the Gen2 but it requires more effort. The APD worked well, for me, from the baseline and was pretty good on serve. However, at the net, I found it far too stiff to be comfortable and not supplying enough flex to provide good feel on the volley.

At the end of the day, although I could play quite well with the APD, I just couldn't take the overly stiff feel and didn't really need the extra power it supplied. The spin was very useful but I didn't think it outweighed the other factors.

If at all possible, you might like to try the Volkl t10mp v-engine (assuming it's available in your area). I went to that from the Gen2 and found it supplied the extra power I was looking for (I play on medium paced courts) without being too stiff, too harsh or taking away from my net game (my strength).

I'd also be a bit cautious about using a racquet that forces you to limit your swing, which it sounds like the APD is doing to you. Your natural swing plus a slightly lower tension will give you all the power you need in the Gen2 but you won't have to deal with the extra stiffness (and potential arm problems) of the APD.

Whatever you choose, let your natural style of play dictate the choice.