PDA

View Full Version : NoBadMojo etal, Volkl Question

Richard Pur
03-01-2006, 05:57 AM
Ed,

It's taken me a long time, but I may be near in my search for a new racquet. My problem is that I've have a couple injuries that have sidelined me for extended periods of time, but as per your recommendation from long ago, I demoed the Tour 10 VE MP as a replacement for my Wilson FPK 95. I think this one is as close as I've come and think you were right on.

The VE MP volleyed effortlessly, served pretty well for me and was very forgiving on groundstrokes (better than the FPK in that respect). There were some errant shots (some of you say that there is a hot spot), but I attribute those to my inconsistency and could also raise the string tension to help there. I totally controlled the court (doubles) for a set and a half, until.....

The one issue, possibly major, I had with the racquet was it for some reason it seemed to swing a little heavy for me. I suppose some working out could help there, but the couple headpoints I'm losing from my FPK and the Pro X1 (that I've been demoing for a long time now) seems to be a bigger impact than I thought possible. I added some lead tape to the grip and that seemed to help a little.

I was also demoing the PS 6.0 95 at the same time and that went fairly well, but I think I've determined that the PS 6.0 95 is a little too demanding for me. What I need is a mix of the 6.0 and the Tour 10 VE MP. To me the VE MP sweetspot was HUGE and I could get by with less if it meant I got a little more maneuverability in return.

You know from my using the FPK that having the stiffer throat and flexible head is preferable. And I prefer a more open string pattern, but not totally against trying an 18 x 20. Which of these Volkl racquets might fit the bill?

- Tour 10 VE Mid (I figure from what I've seen on the board that this 93 Sq. In. racquet might play like a standard 95).
- DNX 9
- Tour 9 VE MP 16 x 19 (I've seen your comments about this maybe being to stiff, but if it's flexible in the head, I may not care).
- Tour 10 Gen II

If someone gave me one racquet and it was the Tour 10 VE MP and said play with it, I think I could. But I like to play with racquets stock and was just hoping that one of the racquets listed above makes that little difference. Hopefully these racquets are not giving up too much stability compared to the 10 VE MP.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Rich

jonolau
03-01-2006, 06:02 AM
If you have a chance to demo a T10VE Mid, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how smoothly and effortlessly it handles groundstrokes. Volleys would definitely be a breeze.

vin
03-01-2006, 06:09 AM
Both the T10 VE Mid and the T10 Gen 2 should be easier to swing than the VE MP, particularly if you hit a lot of spin.

In my opinion, the Gen 2 plays a lot like the VE Mid, but with more power and a bigger sweetspot.

According to Mojo's DNX 9 review, it is also similar to the VE Mid, but with a "little more of everything".

The VE 9 is not very popular here, but I like it. It swings easier than any of the rackets mentioned here. It does have a firm feel, but I didn't find it to be uncomfortable. It doesn't have as much power as I'd expect. If you're seriously considering anything in this swingweight range (~310) and are looking for some power, try the DNX 8. Despite it's 69 flex, it's more comfortable than the VE 9.

NoBadMojo
03-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi Richard...nothing quite like the UltraFPK I agree but glad you think I hooked you up with the best match possible. Nobody makes frames with a thick throat and thin beamed head anymore <i dont think?> so nothing is going to feel the same.
You've some good options here and I've got good news and less than good news
You can just keep your 10VEMP's
-if yours has MidPlus designation in red on the frame, the ones with black designation swing lighter, so you coud get the liter ones
-you can trim away uneeded bumper material from these and they will swing markedly faster. i did this to mine. they will obviously be quite a bit more headlight, but the FPK's I had were extremely headlight in spite of what others have said. are yours?
You should demo the DNX9 when they become available. Like the FPK and 10VEMP it's stiffer in the throat and flexier in the head, but you dont get the loosey goosey feeling like you get with the 10VEMP..you get the more precise feel like with the UltraFPK's. I also noticed the DNX9 was terrific for hitting those kickers like I could with the UltraFPK..it's also much better from the back court and is easy to swing fast in comparison. check out the specs. very cool paintjob too i think. bad news is no DNX9 until summer
So you've got good choices. I think I have a 10VEMP around here with the modified bumper and it's the one w. the black MidPlus if you are interested in buying one already modified. best, Ed

kinsella
03-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Please note the "sticky" on lowering swingweight by adding weight to the handle end of a racquet: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74681

Maybe from your layoff your arm got a little tired. Plus, you were hitting with two dissimilar racquets in the same session, which can throw off your timing and location of the sweet spot. Good luck finding something you like as well as your old friend.

AndrewD
03-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Richard,

Like yourself, Im not a fan of modifying racquets to any great degree. I prefer to find something that fits my requirements and then only tinker with string tension, string type or grips (sometimes swap the leather for a synthetic if I want an overall lower weight but a bit less head light).

That being said, if swingweight is the major problem you're having with the t10mpVE then following Ed's suggestion to trim the bumper is a wonderfully effective remedy. I've been playing 2 of the VE MPs for the past 6 or so months, both with the bumper trimmed and I can say that it does make a world of difference, to the point where, occasionally, I find them to swing almost too lightly. In an ideal world I'd have a couple fully modified and a couple less so (eg, trimmed to 9 instead of 10 o'clock). No stuffing around with lead tape just swingweight and I can choose whichever suits me on the day. Admittedly, most days I'd prefer the fully modified ones LOL.

As to the hotspot, that's something I'll admit to complaining about . However, the more I hit with the VEmp the less of a problem it is. If you hit very late and chop at the ball or prepare early and take a full swing you'll have no trouble controlling your shot. It's when you're in-between (which is where I, personally, think most intermediates fall) the short, punchy stroke and the long, full stroke that you get into trouble. Catch it late but complete a full follow-through and the ball is likely to fly. Catch it late but check your swing, as you would a half-volley or volley, and you'll be fine. There's enough flex to allow you to 'feel' the ball into position if you're late on the shot just so long as you don't overswing. On volleys, the best contact point is in the upper half of the head.

Richard Pur
03-02-2006, 07:27 AM
NBM,

Thanks as always for your input. I may wait for the DNX 9 to come out, but in the meantime will demo the VE mid, the 9 VE and the Gen II. If one of those really work out, I may go that route. Interms of the triming of the bumper on the 10 VE MP, do you trim the bumper width-wise (face-to-face) or length-wise (from 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock)? I don't really have the option of doing that with a demo though.

Although I hear great things about the 10 VE Mid, I rely a lot on blocking returns back (especially when coming to net after returns in doubles), and a denser string pattern may sap some of the power on those returns? Of course maybe less string tension could help with that right? This is the main reason I need a great volleying racquet. I may hit one or two groundstrokes in a whole doubles match.

As for my FPK, the last time I measured, it was approximately 8+ points headlight light ( and that is with a replacement synthetic grip). It may be moreso now with additional scrapes on the bumper.

Kinsella,

I did add a little lead to the handle (and at the same time built up the grip from a rectangular shape). It did make the racquet more maneuverable. I could have maybe put more on, but unfortunately I have to return the demo.

Thanks Again,

Rich

NoBadMojo
03-02-2006, 08:21 AM
aye Rich,
The VEMid is not one of those forgiving frames on service returns I believe you will find, but I think you will be able to volley well with it. It's more of a frame wich you have to swing rather than block on service returns.
The way I trimmed the bumper is from the throat up to as high as where you need the protection from scraping <perhaps the 12th grommet down from the racquet tip>. I realize this is where many people add lead for stability, but i had no probems in that area by removng weight.
Let us know how you make out if you like.

hacker
03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Ed,

It's taken me a long time, but I may be near in my search for a new racquet. My problem is that I've have a couple injuries that have sidelined me for extended periods of time, but as per your recommendation from long ago, I demoed the Tour 10 VE MP as a replacement for my Wilson FPK 95. I think this one is as close as I've come and think you were right on.

The VE MP volleyed effortlessly, served pretty well for me and was very forgiving on groundstrokes (better than the FPK in that respect). There were some errant shots (some of you say that there is a hot spot), but I attribute those to my inconsistency and could also raise the string tension to help there. I totally controlled the court (doubles) for a set and a half, until.....

The one issue, possibly major, I had with the racquet was it for some reason it seemed to swing a little heavy for me. I suppose some working out could help there, but the couple headpoints I'm losing from my FPK and the Pro X1 (that I've been demoing for a long time now) seems to be a bigger impact than I thought possible. I added some lead tape to the grip and that seemed to help a little.

I was also demoing the PS 6.0 95 at the same time and that went fairly well, but I think I've determined that the PS 6.0 95 is a little too demanding for me. What I need is a mix of the 6.0 and the Tour 10 VE MP. To me the VE MP sweetspot was HUGE and I could get by with less if it meant I got a little more maneuverability in return.

You know from my using the FPK that having the stiffer throat and flexible head is preferable. And I prefer a more open string pattern, but not totally against trying an 18 x 20. Which of these Volkl racquets might fit the bill?

- Tour 10 VE Mid (I figure from what I've seen on the board that this 93 Sq. In. racquet might play like a standard 95).
- DNX 9
- Tour 9 VE MP 16 x 19 (I've seen your comments about this maybe being to stiff, but if it's flexible in the head, I may not care).
- Tour 10 Gen II

If someone gave me one racquet and it was the Tour 10 VE MP and said play with it, I think I could. But I like to play with racquets stock and was just hoping that one of the racquets listed above makes that little difference. Hopefully these racquets are not giving up too much stability compared to the 10 VE MP.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Rich

I'm in the same boat with you. I have a Tour 10 VEMP that I really like, but the swingweight just feels too heavy and it gives me problems. I got a great deal on a Tour 9 VE and gave it a shot and it's much easier to swing. I didn't have a problem with the stiffness at all and I have a tender arm. I was going to give the Tour 10 Gen II a try.

Richard Pur
03-07-2006, 04:48 AM
Hacker,

I think I will be demoing the Tour 9 VE myself, as well as the Gen II.

NBM,

I tried the Tour 10 VE Mid, and even though I may not have the game to use this for the long haul, I really enjoyed playing with it. There is definitely no free power here. Especially for someone like me who isn't used to a denser string pattern. I couldn't generate pace on the block returns just as you said, but it enjoyed just about everything else. It was nice to hit with a thinner beam racquet again. The demo was strung with Head Perfect Control 16 at mid range. I would think that there is a string that could get me a little more power, and at a lower tension. That could really be the difference for me. I didn't find the sweetspot too demanding (for a 93).

Anyway, I was also playing with the Maxply during the same session, and even though I started out strong with it, the racquet was just a little too stiff for me. I like a little more dwell time. And when I was in a groove on the VE Mid, the sound was awesome. Looks like I may be honing on a Volkl (don't know which one).

Thanks,

Rich

NoBadMojo
03-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Richard, since you seem to be taking your time with a racquet change, I really suggest you try the DNX9 when it comes out this summer. It's a VEMid with more juice and a bigger sweetspot. It's a bit firmer, a bit thicker beamed, but it isnt going to penalize you like the VEMid can and still has a nice soft feel.