PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Head sizes

Ash Doyle
03-01-2006, 10:15 AM
How do the Volkl 98 sq. in. headsizes compare to the Wilson 95 sq. in. headsizes?

I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I know that a Head 98 is basically the same as a Wilson 95, yet a Yonex 98 is closer to a Wilson 100. So how does the Volkl 98 compare?

I've never used a volkl, and am curious how they size their racquets.

NoBadMojo
03-01-2006, 02:56 PM
I'll take a stab at this since nobody seems to wish to. I think what is key rather than headsize is sweetspot size.
First of all I dont think we can actually measure how big the headsizes are and companies take some liberties with listing headsizes anyway
Holding up one racquet to another tells you nothing signficant. you may notice that one frame is slighty larger than another, but slightly can be huge as far as sq in's go and reveals nothng about the swetspot size
Since the question is comparing Volkl 98 headsize to Wilson 95 headsize, I think the difference in sweetspot size is similar to going from a MP headsize to an oversized frame from most companies with the Volkl sweetspot being far larger and extending farther up in the stringbed on most frames in comparison. This is if comparing the Classic 98Volkl headshape to the Classic Wilson 95Prostaff headshape.

gonzalocatalino
03-01-2006, 03:04 PM
I'll take a stab at this since nobody seems to wish to. I think what is key rather than headsize is sweetspot size.
First of all I dont think we can actually measure how big the headsizes are and companies take some liberties with listing headsizes anyway
Holding up one racquet to another tells you nothing signficant. you may notice that one frame is slighty larger than another, but slightly can be huge as far as sq in's go and reveals nothng about the swetspot size
Since the question is comparing Volkl 98 headsize to Wilson 95 headsize, I think the difference in sweetspot size is similar to going from a MP headsize to an oversized frame from most companies with the Volkl sweetspot being far larger and extending farther up in the stringbed on most frames in comparison. This is if comparing the Classic 98Volkl headshape to the Classic Wilson 95Prostaff headshape.

Totally agree with NBM, my volkls have bigger sweetspots than other racquets i have played (specially the 6.1`s)

Ash Doyle
03-02-2006, 10:13 PM
NoBadMojo, you could not have been anymore right about what you said. I got to play with a Volkl DNX 10 tonight and it was just as you described.

I've used a couple very aged Wilson 6.0 95 racquets for a couple of years now, and I decided to replace them with something new back in January. I went with a couple of Dunlop Mfil200s (the low sales price was just hard to pass up). After playing with them for a couple of months, I've never quite fallen into the swing of things with them. The DNX 10 felt instantly right tonight. It may only be a tiny tiny bit larger in headsize than either the Dunlops or the Wilsons, but the perceived sweetspot IS bigger. I was also surprised at the amount of spin I was able to get. Even with the 18x20 string pattern I was able to get the spin I had been missing since I began using the Dunlops. The grip shape is going to take some getting used to (especially on my 1H backhand), and I need to adjust to the higher degree of headlight-ness. So far, I think I'm sold. Which is just what my Dunlops will be as soon as I find a buyer.