PDA

View Full Version : Need Racquet Help Badly!!!!!

Andy Zarzuela
03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey guys,
Perhaps you guys can help me choose a racquet that is best for me. I hit the ball very flat and hard. I'm very strong. My style of play is to hit hard and hit winners. I do not have the spin to prevail in long rallies against experienced players. I win by going for my shots. My absolute favorite company throughout the years has been Yonex, but I've come to conclusion that their racquets are just not for me. They are geared towards more top spin oriented players. I've played with the following Yonex racquets: Yonex RD Power 6 long, Yonex Super RQ 500, Yonex URQ 1700, Yonex URQ 1500, Yonex MP-5i HS, Yonex RDX 500 (mid and midplus and H.D) Yonex MP-2i. A tad too light and a tad too much power. It is a very nice racquet. However, I do not hit enough topspin to stay in the points. Most recently, I've been playing with the Yonex Nanospeed RQ 7. It was a tad too light and a tad too powerful for my hard hitting flat strokes. It is a very nice feeling racquet, great touch and serving. I just hit my normal shots long. I know something there is something better that would suit me better. Most recently, I purchased a Yonex RDS001 Mid since I remembered enjoying hitting with one of my friend's RDX 500 mid. It's a nice racquet, but I cannot seem to find the sweetspot that well at all. I can play ok, but I guess I'm accustomed to Midplus and Super Mid plus racquets since I was young. So I do not think I will be going the Mid route anytime soon.

With that said, I want to add that I am getting very depressed with my game lately. I am losing to players who I would easily beat a year ago. To their credit, they have improved, but I have worsened by several levels. I know technique and practice have a lot to do with it, but I think a smart equipment change can only help me. I am not confident with my current equipment. My coach has always told me that confidence in your equipment is VERY VITAL in order to play your best! I cannot seem to play near as well as I was a year ago. I played my best tennis when I was playing with my Liquidmetal Instinct, but I broke 3 of them. I wanted to go back to Yonex after that, so I figured Yonex would have some similar sticks. I believe my best bet is to find something with a dense string pattern. I've come to realize that I need something that suits my style of play, not something I picked just because it is my favorite brand. What do you guys think about the Head Classic Midplus? Would that be a good frame for me? I think the 102 would be more forgiving than a midplus version of a Prestige racquet. Plus, it'll give me the extra bite and control I need to hit my shots. I guess this is why Lindsay Davenport and Maria Sharapova have 18 mainstrings in their racquets since they both hit a very flat ball. Any other recommedations are appreciated.

tennis_nerd22
03-01-2006, 03:13 PM
hmm, just a question... you said sharapova doesnt use much spin, which is why her racket has 18 mains? i thought shes a heavy top spin hitter?

sorry to get a bit off topic, i was just wondering

*edit* i checked her racket, its 16 mains, so my question is answered (prince 03 white)

Kevo
03-01-2006, 03:21 PM
I hit hard and flat most of the time, and I can tell you that string selection can make a big difference. Maybe you could list what you string and tension you are using in your current frame(s), and I could make some suggestions. BTW, I currently hit with the RDX 500 mid and I only know one person in our 4.0 league that even attempts to hit the ball as hard as I do, so I have some experience with the frustration that can accompany watching your favorite forehand fly straight as an arrow into the back fence. :-)

DANMAN
03-01-2006, 03:28 PM
I recommend the Liquidmetal Prestige Mid or MP or the Volkl DNX10 MP or the VEMid. All of these are low powered 18x20 rackets that should suit you.

Andy Zarzuela
03-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Sharapova uses a custom O3 white with 18 mains and her inner hoop as well as the top O ports are painted pink. Her racquet is custom just for her by prince. She old hornet she used before (with the newer hornet cosmetics then the More Attack, and then the Prince Shark) her previous racquet, in other words, had 16 mains. This is a totally different stick that probably suits her game better. Here's a pic:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/56927510.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=AAAB1D3D22B8F28CC6D271540841CDEE

tennis_nerd22
03-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Sharapova uses a custom O3 white with 18 mains and her inner hoop as well as the top O ports are painted pink. Her racquet is custom just for her by prince. She old hornet she used before (with the newer hornet cosmetics then the More Attack, and then the Prince Shark) her previous racquet, in other words, had 16 mains. This is a totally different stick that probably suits her game better. Here's a pic:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/56927510.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=AAAB1D3D22B8F28CC6D271540841CDEE

oh ok, thanks for the info mate :D

bee
03-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Head Prestige LM Mid strung with Klip Legend 16 natural gut, 55#, Babolat string savers.

I think this racquet performs much better with natural gut. I get all the spin I need despite the dense string pattern. This setup might give you a nice change and help you enjoy the game again. And, it's very easy on the arm. I never could get used to the Yonex head shape.

I have a Head Classic Midplus. Played with it for several years. It's a good racquet but not a lively as the LM Mid. Have played with the Classic Mid and I'd have to say the same thing...feels somewhat clunky compared to the LM Mid.

Lots of folks on the board don't like the LM Prestige, but I've found it to be the best racquet I've played with. String it with gut and you've got a weapon!