PDA

View Full Version : Excellence vs. Perfection

SystemicAnomaly
03-02-2006, 02:39 AM
The following rune is for all you perfectionsists out there.
This was prompted by statement seen in another Tennis Tip thread.

Excellence

Excellence is willing to be wrong,
Perfection is having to be right.

Excellence is enduring,
Perfection is fleeting.

Excellence is spontaneous,
Perfection is control.

Excellence is risk,
Perfection is fear.

Excellence is striving,
Perfection is demanding.

Excellence is acceptance,
Perfection is criticism.

Excellence is powerful,
Perfection is anger & frustration.

Excellence is freeing,
Perfection is stifling.

Excellence is giving,
Perfection is taking.

Excellence is confidence,
Perfection is doubt.

Excellence is flowing,
Perfection is pressure.

Excellence is journey,
Perfection is destination.

Tim Tennis
03-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Perfection is not accepting anything less which leads to excellence.

- Websters - Def of perfection - an exemplification of supreme excellence.

Sounds like they are interrelated to me.

SystemicAnomaly
03-02-2006, 03:25 AM
It's a difference of mental outlook = attitude...

The verses above speak of striving for excellence rather than demanding perfection of oneself. Perfectionists tend to be frustrated or dissatisfied much/most of the time whereas those who strive for excellence are free to enjoy the learning process. Quite a different outlook altogether.

I, for one, am a reformed perfectionist. Back in the day, I could only enjoy my tennis on those rare occasions when I was "in the zone" and my game was near-perfect. Most of the time I was very self-critical and very frustrated and did not enjoy the experience most of the time at all. This attitude was usually counterproductive; it did not lead to a sustainable excellence.

Perfectionists are notorious for not completing tasks that they feel that they cannot perform perfectly. Believe me, striving for excellence is a much better modus operandi than perfectionism.

Tim Tennis
03-02-2006, 05:40 AM
It's a difference of mental outlook = attitude...

The verses above speak of striving for excellence rather than demanding perfection of oneself. Perfectionists tend to be frustrated or dissatisfied much/most of the time whereas those who strive for excellence are free to enjoy the learning process. Quite a different outlook altogether.

I, for one, am a reformed perfectionist. Back in the day, I could only enjoy my tennis on those rare occasions when I was "in the zone" and my game was near-perfect. Most of the time I was very self-critical and very frustrated and did not enjoy the experience most of the time at all. This attitude was usually counterproductive; it did not lead to a sustainable excellence.

Perfectionists are notorious for not completing tasks that they feel that they cannot perform perfectly. Believe me, striving for excellence is a much better modus operandi than perfectionism.

Very interesting. I can't disagree with that. I think a lot of it boils down to just what kind of expectations we impose upon ourselves and how realistic or unrealistic they are. To me an excellent day on the court would be 3 double faults, 6 aces, 4 serve return winners and 6 unforces errors and of course winning in 2 sets. A perfect day would be 0 double faults, 12 aces, 12 serve return winners, 0 unforced errors and I played so well my opponent just quit and went home after the first set. Oh baby, now that would be a perfect day.

I love this one. "Perfectionists are notorious for not completing tasks that they feel that they cannot perform perfectly." That fits me to the "T". My wife can testify to that. The easiest little "fix it" chores around the house end up being major projects that I screw up anyhow. Or maybe that is my subconscious providing the "perfect solution" for getting out of these little jobs so they don't cut into my tennis time.

CrazyScheiner
03-02-2006, 10:23 AM
In all honest, I know that I strive for excellence because I believe in one thing.

I don't care whether I win or lose now, because tennis is tennis, no matter how you look at it. That's why it would be nice to get to States, because I can play tennis more and with better people.

While if I was a perfectionist I would be like:

"I will win so we will definitly go to States. Nothing will stop me."

Amone
03-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Really? I thought that example was confidence or perhaps hubris. I know I do that, and I am nowhere near a perfectionist. (If I was, I'd probably not enjoy tennis as much, nor would my strokes be so instinctive)

AngeloDS
03-02-2006, 05:46 PM
I should show this to a girl on the tennis team who strives for perfection. She's an alright player but she puts herself down too much expecting to hit like me or hit like the other girls or whatever.

This is really good!

I'm not sure what I would place myself in. I strive to get better, but I never strive to hit a perfect shot. I've seen so much tennis in real life that I don't know what perfect is really.

And even more on Television. I don't see anyone really hitting perfectly or doesn't seem perfect atleast to me.

mucat
03-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Excellence is having prime rib steak for breakfast,
Perfection is having Anna Kournikova for breakfast.

ATXtennisaddict
03-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Perfection is driving me to losses. Thanks for this thread, it's telling me to not fear when I play. Lately I've been scared of taking chances and not taking full swings and playing free-spiritedly and enjoying myself out there. I need to get back to the times I was striving for excellence.

I want the Wins dang it! :)

SystemicAnomaly
03-05-2006, 11:00 PM
... I need to get back to the times I was striving for excellence.

I want the Wins dang it! :)

Uh-oh! Remember, it's the journey not the destination. ;)

Pomeranian
03-05-2006, 11:14 PM
That would be horrible if people aimed for perfection. Imagine, they hit a clean winner and then they say, damn it, that ball could have hit right on the line and with more pace and spin. But of course to improve, you can't be completely satisfied with yourself. Being completely satisfied means you have no more goals to achieve. If you have no goals, your improvement would likely stop.

ask1ed
03-05-2006, 11:38 PM
You don't see people pouting and getting angry when they win the point, only when they lose the point. You can play a great point and still lose it. You can play a great match and still lose it. It's a cop out to pout just because you lost, even though you are playing well for the most part. It's our way of punishing ourselves for imperfect results.

raftermania
03-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Excellence is objective
Perfection is subjective

jackabee
03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Excellence is confidence,
Perfection is doubt.

I like this one - have to agree with it somewhat but I also do think that if you can get the right balance of perfection to excellence than you will always be a great player!

lucky leprechaun
03-06-2006, 05:43 PM
That would be horrible if people aimed for perfection. Imagine, they hit a clean winner and then they say, damn it, that ball could have hit right on the line and with more pace and spin. But of course to improve, you can't be completely satisfied with yourself. Being completely satisfied means you have no more goals to achieve. If you have no goals, your improvement would likely stop.

Perfect results need not be perfect shots. As far as hitting a winner on the line being "perfect" and 2 inches from the line as "excellence", to me both results are "perfect" because the perfect desired result in tennis is, winning a point through a clean winner or a forced error. That to me is perfect tennis. When in actuality has anyone ever been ****ed off at themselves for hitting a winner or forcing an opponent into an error? Not me. Nothing wrong with trying to play perfect tennis, in fact that's what you should go for. :mrgreen:

Bungalo Bill
03-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Perfect results need not be perfect shots. As far as hitting a winner on the line being "perfect" and 2 inches from the line as "excellence", to me both results are "perfect" because the perfect desired result in tennis is, winning a point through a clean winner or a forced error. That to me is perfect tennis. When in actuality has anyone ever been ****ed off at themselves for hitting a winner or forcing an opponent into an error? Not me. Nothing wrong with trying to play perfect tennis, in fact that's what you should go for. :mrgreen:

There is nothing wrong with striving for perfection or setting high goals for yourself.

What is wrong is when someone strives for perfection in a destructive way for both themselves and others. This happens when people think that perfection is a destination rather than a journey.

Enjoying a loss or at least trying to see what can be learned is difficult with the wrong perspective.