PDA

View Full Version : Wilson nPro Open - Swingweight?

netman
03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
I have a Wilson nPro Open in for demo. Here are the specs I have been able to measure.

Beam - 23-26-23 Double Taper using a ruler and eyeing it (Not a flat 26 as some have stated here)
Weight - 10.9 oz strung
Balance - 7 pts HL strung

Anybody know the spec beam width and swingweight spec on this frame?

BTW, its shaping up as a real winner. Whereas I found the nPro Surge to be an awful racquet, rigid. no feel and brutual on the arm, the nPro Open is shaping up to be a really nice, 11oz player-tweener. Has a a cushioned feel. Hits a lighter ball than I like, but you can really put some wicked spin on both serves and groundies. I could put serves on a dime anywhere in the service box and generate big power with a relaxed, full swing.

Looking forward to some more play testing in actual match conditions.

-k-

kerplunker
03-02-2006, 06:41 PM
pictures...

Midlife crisis
03-02-2006, 10:14 PM
TW kindly asked me to playtest this racquet about two weeks ago so I got to use it for seven or eight days. The one that I had was 312 grams strung with 17 gauge Wilson Sensation, and was 7 points HL. I had it along with a Pure Drive Team and a Hybrid Hornet, which has the O-ports only for the mains.

The swingweight is very close to that of the Pure Drive Team, which it should as that racquet weighed 317 grams and was also 7 points HL. The main difference is that the Pure Drive Team feels as if it had more twistweight, so if that impression is true the nPro Open must be more heavily weighted in the upper throat area.

Of the three, this was clearly my favorite racquet. It has what I described as a "classic" feel of a racquet from the '80's, with a smaller but really well defined sweetspot that was very and vibration free. To me, it was a racquet with no outstanding features, but no weaknesses either other than that it had the thickest beam but the smallest head width, and this was the only racquet that I shanked balls on when trying to serve the spinniest kick serves I could, or when trying to hit extreme topspin groundstrokes.

I played a couple of competitive sets with this racquet and in one session got pounded pretty badly by a guy whom I'm normally pretty competitive with. My normal racquet is much heavier and higher powered, and even though I tried to compensate by swinging harder, my opponent said my shots didn't have the usual bite so he had more opportunities to take it to me. I have to admit that to my eyes, the shots didn't look all that much different but I'm too old to be swinging that hard for so long, compounded by being run all over the place. This person is a 4.5 to 5.0 counterpuncher, and our usual matches are me swinging away while he stands on or inside the baseline and hits them back on the rise with little spin but really good placement.

Ahh, I should have taken some pictures. The outside of the racquet is predominantly black, with the lime green and white on the inside of the hoop and throat. It's not particularly pleasing to my eye, but then I never noticed the color when playing with the racquet.

netman
03-03-2006, 02:58 AM
pictures...

Pretty much identical to the nPro Surge except has some extra black scrawl lines on the green and white parts.

-k-

netman
03-03-2006, 03:00 AM
TW kindly asked me to playtest this racquet about two weeks ago so I got to use it for seven or eight days. The one that I had was 312 grams strung with 17 gauge Wilson Sensation, and was 7 points HL. I had it along with a Pure Drive Team and a Hybrid Hornet, which has the O-ports only for the mains.

What were your findings on the Hybrid Hornet?

-k-

Midlife crisis
03-03-2006, 11:47 AM
What were your findings on the Hybrid Hornet?

-k-

I posted in your other thread, here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=88931

In summary, I played probably more effective tennis with it, but didn't like playing that way.

JDC
03-18-2006, 06:50 AM

The swingweight is very close to that of the Pure Drive Team, which it should as that racquet weighed 317 grams and was also 7 points HL. The main difference is that the Pure Drive Team feels as if it had more twistweight, so if that impression is true the nPro Open must be more heavily weighted in the upper throat area.

Of the three, this was clearly my favorite racquet. It has what I described as a "classic" feel of a racquet from the '80's, with a smaller but really well defined sweetspot that was very and vibration free. To me, it was a racquet with no outstanding features, but no weaknesses either other than that it had the thickest beam but the smallest head width, and this was the only racquet that I shanked balls on when trying to serve the spinniest kick serves I could, or when trying to hit extreme topspin groundstrokes.

I played a couple of competitive sets with this racquet and in one session got pounded pretty badly by a guy whom I'm normally pretty competitive with. My normal racquet is much heavier and higher powered, and even though I tried to compensate by swinging harder, my opponent said my shots didn't have the usual bite so he had more opportunities to take it to me. I have to admit that to my eyes, the shots didn't look all that much different but I'm too old to be swinging that hard for so long, compounded by being run all over the place. This person is a 4.5 to 5.0 counterpuncher, and our usual matches are me swinging away while he stands on or inside the baseline and hits them back on the rise with little spin but really good placement.

Ahh, I should have taken some pictures. The outside of the racquet is predominantly black, with the lime green and white on the inside of the hoop and throat. It's not particularly pleasing to my eye, but then I never noticed the color when playing with the racquet.

How did you get them to let you playtest it?

bluegrasser
03-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Midlife - what racquet do you normally play with ?

Midlife crisis
03-18-2006, 12:03 PM
How did you get them to let you playtest it?

TW contacted me via the email I used to register my account here, and asked me to demo some racquets for them and do a write-up. It was out of the blue and totally unexpected.

Midlife crisis
03-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Midlife - what racquet do you normally play with ?

Well, my "normal" racquet just cracked. It is (was) a Prince Triple Threat RIP, a granny stick, 28", 115 sq. in. headsize. I add nearly three ounces to it to get it up to between 12.5 and 12.8 ounces, about 8 points HL, and string it up tight with a polyester string.

Quite different from an nPro Open!