PDA

View Full Version : Bab PD+ bad volley stick

Ezekiel
03-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi iv been using the PD + for bout 3 weeks or so and i have to say.... its a very bad stick for volleying. Very often the frame would twitch when i return a medium/fast paced ball. The frame the frame feels it doesnt have enough graphite on the frame. I just recently switched back to my RDX 300 and found it way more solid. Volleying was much easier

what are your opinions?

ChipNCharge
03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi iv been using the PD + for bout 3 weeks or so and i have to say.... its a very bad stick for volleying. Very often the frame would twitch when i return a medium/fast paced ball. The frame the frame feels it doesnt have enough graphite on the frame. I just recently switched back to my RDX 300 and found it way more solid. Volleying was much easier

what are your opinions?

Leander Paes uses a PD and he sure doesn't seem to have any problems volleying with it.

smittysan89
03-02-2006, 06:23 PM
add some lead. Its just not stable and is lighter. IF you want it to be more stable add some weight to it.

Ezekiel
03-02-2006, 06:25 PM
add some lead. Its just not stable and is lighter. IF you want it to be more stable add some weight to it.

i cant add lead tape because it will be to heavy

ffrpg
03-02-2006, 06:29 PM
I was watching the 5A boys tennis tournament down here last year and one of the top players happens to be using a Pure Drive. He's also a serve and volley player and he hit some pretty amazing volleys with that stick. From what I've read on this messageboard, the PD is suppose to be a frame that sucks at volleys. After watching that tourney though, I've realized that it's really more about the player than the racquet itself. I'm sure if you played with the PD for a couple months, you'll get a better feel for how the racquet plays at the net.

smittysan89
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I was watching the 5A boys tennis tournament down here last year and one of the top players happens to be using a Pure Drive. He's also a serve and volley player and he hit some pretty amazing volleys with that stick. From what I've read on this messageboard, the PD is suppose to be a frame that sucks at volleys. After watching that tourney though, I've realized that it's really more about the player than the racquet itself. I'm sure if you played with the PD for a couple months, you'll get a better feel for how the racquet plays at the net.
the acctual volleying is the player but the power level, control, and stability is often the racquet.

AngeloDS
03-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Watch Leander Paes as someone posted, amazing volleys. Not only this, but again the PD is a very good volley stick. I volley pretty well with it, but I'm strung down near 51 lbs.

Possibly string your racquet higher or lower.

Ezekiel
03-02-2006, 09:08 PM
the acctual volleying is the player but the power level, control, and stability is often the racquet.

yea though im not concerned about the power etc its just that its not stable and solid enough. since im only 14 if i add lead it will be a bit too heavy plus with my leather grip it adds bit more weight so i cant afford to put lead. Maybe when im older and stronger i will. Thanks for the replies though
But now im satisfied with my RDX 300 :D

Ezekiel
03-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Another reason why i dont really like the PD+ iis because of the woofer system. I just tap back a moderate/fast pace server and unexpectedly it goes out. I know i hit it softly but i think its due to the woofer because the strings can move freely enabling more power to the shot. I think maybe i have to string it higher tension.

AngeloDS
03-02-2006, 09:45 PM
The woofer system is only effective in 50-55 range, so I'm guessing you string in that range. String it higher if you want to get rid of the effects of the woofer system.

What do you mean by not stable? Possible things why you're not stable -> Small grip (make it bigger), weak forearms (make them stronger).

Ezekiel
03-03-2006, 12:51 AM
maybe the grip is small beacuse i have small hands?
I may have weak forearms because im asian? :P i'll drink lots of milk -.-
i strung it at 55. before. I strung it up higher with bb original but i didnt like the feel of it, and its bit too stiff. Shoud'v realized these things earlier..... o well

back to old rdx

NoBadMojo
03-03-2006, 07:05 AM
many people think the PD+ is a lousy volley frame. I dont think anyone would argue with a straight face that the PD+ is a touch frame with good feel....many need precise ball feel to volley well as the volley is not a power stroke. who know what Paes has under his paintjob and how the masters have tweaked his setup

DXS
03-03-2006, 08:23 AM
many people think the PD+ is a lousy volley frame. I dont think anyone would argue with a straight face that the PD+ is a touch frame with good feel....many need precise ball feel to volley well as the volley is not a power stroke. who know what Paes has under his paintjob and how the masters have tweaked his setup

Those people that say that, can't volley. I have no problem with touch shots either.

-ds

Cruzer
03-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Many people look for any reason to slam the PD+. But that's why there are dozens of different racquet choices available. Many have played with racquets that they disliked for one reason or another. I used a PD+ for 5+ years and found it be a very good racquet for volleys. A good volley is the result 95% good technique and 5% the racquet irregardless of whether you are using a PD+ or a frying pan.

Freedom
03-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Just practice a lot. And work out a bit.

TennisMD
03-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I tend to agree with thse who site technique as a key factor. However in my experience the Bab PD+ is fantastic on serves and this sets up alot of easy volleys. I had great success with this rkt and only strayed when concerns for arm safety became manifest.

joe1987
03-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I stung mine at 60lb. The woofer was mainly gone but sometimes I wondered how i hit the ball way out after tapping the shot back lightly.

tonysk83
03-03-2006, 06:20 PM
I've been using pd+'s for awhile now and can't take them anymore. Best serving stick I have ever used, my serves are killer, but I can't sacrifice my volleys for serves. I am a big volley player, I wouldn't call me a serve and volley, but I will end up at the net before the other play 9 times out of 10. The pd is not the greatest stick for volleying at all. My liquidmetals were so much better. Sure, some players can volley great with it but I just can't. After demoing an o3 tour my volleys improved drastically.

Ezekiel
03-06-2006, 03:14 AM
some think its good but why get good when you can get better?