PDA

View Full Version : I tried my friend's ProStaff Classic 6.1si today...

ta11geese3
03-02-2006, 07:14 PM
wooow. I recently made a topic asking about tweener racquets, but man, I don't know about that anymore...

Normally I use a sub 10 ounce Pro Kennex 15g light. Previously I tried using his ps but all I got were a few mishits =[ But today I warmed up with it, adjusting my technique a bit to really use the racquet's weight, and wow!

Slices (when I hit them well... normally my slices suck anyways) were biting. Groundstrokes were so solid, so stable, even against my friend's hard hitting. I could hit really aggressively too. Volleys... =D they got soo much better o_o Serves I didn't really get to try out cause it got dark.

So overall, a good experience with it for an hour of hitting. Although my wrist does feel odd when i bend my hand towards my forearm. I'm sure that's because of bad technique though cause I've been getting that with my 15g also. Anyways I'll have to try it out some more before I make any decisions, but...

Tell me, why SHOULDN'T I get this racquet? There's all this talk about how player's racquets aren't for everyone, that even the pros use tweeners. Why wouldn't I want to use a heavier racquet?

Lately I learned that light racquets have to be stiff to have any power and not have that noodly feeling, but why is this 12oz stick so stiff?

Oh yeah. I rarely hit with 12oz+ racquets, and never for more than like 5 minutes (except today). Do you guys think that's part of the reason for my infatuation with this stick? Or is this racquet really that great? Do other player's racquets feel this great to? I was getting a rush swinging this racquet and whacking that green ball =p

(Also, what's the "si" at the end stand for?)

heh a lot of questions and thoughts but thanks guys!

Bora
03-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I played with that stick when I was a jr. When you hit the sweetspot, its amazing, but the sweetspot is quite small. If you are not "on" or rushed then you can find many mishits that barely hit the bottom of the net. It is a solid racquet though with excellent "plow through", meaning when you hit it right it really produces a very heavy ball.

I would recommend you try some of the newer players racquets, or even the Fischer Pro One, they are a bit more forgiving and they also reward good technique. There is nothing wrong with playing with a player's stick if you are an improving young one. For example, the Volkl Tour 10 Gen 2 has a much bigger sweetspot but gives you bit more of that new agey player's stick satisfaction. Its also easier on your arm.

thatballwas_IN
03-02-2006, 08:56 PM
The 6.1 classic is a great racquet.
You better have some decent form and decent strength or the racquet will be too much to handle though.
It POUNDS the ball... I liked this racquet the best of any Wilson I tried, and was thinking about using it, but I ended up with the
HEAD FXP Radical Tour which I think hits a similar ball.
It is a little lighter, and more flexible, both of which I like better anyway... but when you have time to set up and swing with the 6.1, it feels just like what Tiger must feel when he crushes one of the tee. Pure sweetness.

p.s. - wilson's "SI" = Swing Index ... means you need a very long/fast swing to use this racquet according to wilson

Should YOU use the 6.1 classic.... I doubt it. If you have been using 10oz racquets, that is about as drastic a change as you could make. I would demo some heavier racquets and play with them for a while to make sure your body can handle the change. Sometimes, a racquet with totally different specs can feel great one day, but then reality sets back in and you are stuck with a 12.7oz log of regret in your hand. Make sure it is for you before you sink cash on one. good luck with your search.

vsdtrek
03-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi,

It is a solid frame but the test is to see how it feels in the third set. I used one 10 years ago in a really tough match and my shoulder felt like mush for days afterwards. I even tried it again a few months ago and still found it too heavy. The 6.0 is an easier frame to use in my opinion and I personally am planing on going a bit lighter with some new PK 5Gs I bought.

Custom+Hybrid
05-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Missing the sweetspot on groundies is not as bad as missing the sweetspot on volleys though.

Mishit volleys on the Classic feel AWFUL.

Custom+Hybrid
05-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I think you should try it for a longer period of time.

A few months ago I was constantly switching from this racquet to a tweener and back again :P. Now I'm sticking with it.

To me, the 12 oz. weight feels more natural and using the stick stresses proper mechanics (so I will HAVE to hit beautiful shots).

OnyxZ28
05-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Holy dead thread revival!

louis netman
05-16-2006, 10:23 PM
It seems you've discovered what a bit more heft feels like upon solid ball contact. I don't think you'll ever go back to 10 oz rackets...There are tons of frames in the heavier weight category that will allow similar results with less injury potential. Bora mentioned a few really comfy ones. The 6.1 Classic is on the extreme end of the flex/stiffness scale with a stiffness index of 72.... There are many others in between. Remember that TE is an accumulative condition and many who suffer have acquired it over time. I developed an ongoing wrist condition by playing with a stiff racket like the 6.1 one summer. My wrist has not been the same since. Try to stay below 65 RDC stiffness and you should be good to go. Also, strings make a big difference too...

ta11geese3
05-16-2006, 11:43 PM
hahaha this is such an old topic! Onyx, what are you doing o_o

But yes, you're so right, I like my racquets with more heft now... even my 10 oz tweener is now leaded up to 11.5oz. That'll have to do while I demo some heavier racquets. I've been looking for some flexier ones, too, just to be safe...

I have to say, though, after playing with this stick some more, I don't think it's for me. It's harsh, and if not hit right groundstrokes have no depth =X And it feels heavy. Although, the way it plows through the ball is nice. I don't think my tweener can do that no matter how much lead I stick on it.

JediMindTrick
05-17-2006, 09:02 AM
hahaha this is such an old topic! Onyx, what are you doing o_o

But yes, you're so right, I like my racquets with more heft now... even my 10 oz tweener is now leaded up to 11.5oz. That'll have to do while I demo some heavier racquets. I've been looking for some flexier ones, too, just to be safe...

I have to say, though, after playing with this stick some more, I don't think it's for me. It's harsh, and if not hit right groundstrokes have no depth =X And it feels heavy. Although, the way it plows through the ball is nice. I don't think my tweener can do that no matter how much lead I stick on it.

Maybe you should try the nCode 95. This is the modern replacement and it has more pop, the same stability and plow through, it is a little bit lighter and less harsh. But most importantly try to play for more than an hour and see if your hand doesn't get tired.

tennisadict
05-17-2006, 12:28 PM
it`s not the same, the old one is better

ta11geese3
05-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I've tried it a few times. My brother uses it, so when my strings pop or when I get bored I just use one of his. It's a nice stick... don't know if it's what I'm looking for though. Plus, I don't want to use the same racquet as him XD

magister
05-17-2006, 05:22 PM
I had one years ago, and liked it, but had shoulder problems.
With Volkl rackets, no shoulder or elbow problems so far.

rounick
05-17-2006, 07:15 PM
So it's better but more hard work.If you really liked how it feels...
Ask yourself a question:would you go the extra mile to get the cutest girl in your class or would you rather settle for the easy-ugly one?;)

Puffdaddy
05-17-2006, 07:32 PM
If you liked to 6.1, you should try the 6.0 85 before deciding on anything.

ta11geese3
05-18-2006, 07:59 PM
If you liked to 6.1, you should try the 6.0 85 before deciding on anything.

Isn't that racquet... kind of too hardcore? >_>

@rounick- that's why I'm trying other players racquets... ones that are more forgiving, but still offer similar stuff.