PDA

View Full Version : 1st time user of Nat Gut - hybrid = Buttery Ultra Power!!

borisboris
06-16-2004, 08:40 AM
:lol: Geez, just played the 1st rd of the Seattle City Champ 4.5 and decided to use my gut hybrid stick for the 1st time.

Prince Equipe 95"
Mains = Wilson nat gut 16 ga @ 58 lbs
X's = Gosen Bio gut Poly 16 ga @ 61 lbs

Wow - the power is tremendous, but it was too much. I clocked my 1st serves & the groundies were so soft on the arm. I was playing indoor on a 78 degree day & using Dunlop Grand Prix = the hardest ball in tennis.

I think the 16 ga would better suit the elements of the outdoors - wind - heavy air.

I was broken in the 1 set because of 3 dbls in my 4th service game = hard to serve w/ 16

I switched to my other Equipe that has Kirsch Competition 17 @ 58lbs and won the last 2 sets 4 & 1 = played soundly & the balls stayed in.

The Hybrid is really something else, I'll play w/ the gut in outdoor tourneys - it is so soft on the arm - I could play back to back 5 setters - but my legs would give out 1st :x

Just wanted to to give virgin gut users my experience.

a verrry large duck
06-16-2004, 10:27 AM
buttery powerful's right. And you still haven't got to the best part yet. I feel like my gut plays best after I've hit with it after 3 sessions. After that it settles into a REALLY CONSISTENT super playable consistent feel until it breaks. Cows sure know how to design tennis strings thats for sure.

tarheelbornjohn
06-16-2004, 10:31 AM
I also like the feel of gut, but even with ALU crosses I get a little too much power vs control. I know if I played with it for an extended time I would get used to it. I just can't stand the adjustment time and am happy with all poly. I see why pros don't like to change anything. When something is working, why change it.