PDA

View Full Version : Pro Staff Original 6.0 95 TOO LIGHT?

snikkahz
03-02-2006, 10:34 PM
i've been playing with the original wilson midsize 85, version taiwan and st. vincent, for the past 8 months. i recently bought the 6.0 95 headsize because my primary racquet (st. vincent pro staff) cracked and i heard good reviews on the benefits of a 95 headsize. i have added (6 grams/6 inches on each side) of babolat lead tape on the 3 & 9 o'clock. however, after playing with it for the past week it feels significantly lighter and less stable than my past racquets. it doesn't feel to have that same solid, buttery feel. i recently looked at the TW swingweight ratings for 85 and 95 and realized that there is a great difference between the two (329 for the 85 and 317 for the 95).

what do some of you suggest i should to obtain that same solid, buttery feel i had with my past racquets? is the difference solely because of the difference in the swing weight? should i add more lead tape? if so, how much more and where?

BreakPoint
03-02-2006, 10:41 PM
The 95 is much more headlight and more flexible than the 85. Yes, try adding even more lead tape to the head to increase its swingweight.

KuramaIX
03-02-2006, 11:59 PM
that racket is so unstable even with lead

tennisee
03-03-2006, 01:16 AM
I have a 6.0 95 and I leaded it up so that it swings similarly to my PK Heritage C (swingweight 330). I too was surprised initially by how light the 95 swung considering its static weight, but I like it now with the lead. Increased swingweight notwithstanding, it still does NOT feel like a 6.0 85.

Go Tennis
03-03-2006, 02:53 AM
PS 6.0 95 weights 328g. For what I remember, the first edition was very stable (string range from 50 to 60lbs). The following editions I felt a bit unstable (string range from 55 to 65lbs) and told my friend to put 3g at 3 & 9 o'clock, you don't need more than that. It's a very nice stick.

foucapol
03-03-2006, 04:25 AM
The stringbed of 6.0 95 is not very stable in stock form. I would recommend adding weight 3g on 12 o'clock, 2-3g each on 11-1 o'clock (or, about 9gs 1 thru 11 o'clok). Adding weight on 3-9 o'clock makes it more unstable.

stevewcosta
03-03-2006, 05:17 AM
The 6.0 95 is just OK (great compared to the current offerings) and just doesn't feel substantial/solid enough to me. The 85 is much better although a bit small and has the best feel of any current racquet, that's for sure. Wasted a lot of $ trying to find something bigger w/good feel as well...doesn't exist unless I had a time machine set for 1985.

oldguysrule
03-03-2006, 06:09 AM
The 95 actually weighs about 346 grams. I put about 12 grams of lead at 10 and 2 to bring it up to about the same weight as 85. The balance was still about 8 pts headlight. So weight and balance are now about the same as the 85. It did not feel exactly the same but was much closer. I started the lead at the bottom of the pws bump and went up 6 inches. Worked for me. However, I developed a little TE. Don't know if it was the lead tape or the additional tennis I was playing, but I took the lead off and the elbow is just about normal without an extended layoff. I will probably experiment with the lead in smaller increments sometime this year.

rocket
03-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Apart from the obvious physical similarities, the 6.0 85 & 95 are quite different in terms of play, much like 2 brothers who look similar but show different temperaments. The 85 favors flatter strokes (not completely flat, but flat-ter), whereas the 95 plays better with a whipping motion & suits top-spinners fine.

Some of us, me included, thought that the 95 would play just like the 85, only with 10 sq.in bigger. I now don't believe that's the case. The 95 is a lot more head-light & is ideal for a spinny game; the 85 feels heftier as it's built to 'drive' the ball, in a flatter fashion. The 95 is more maneuvrable & easier to play with in all departments, but doesn't have the 'punch' or the sharpness that the 85 has. :cool:

That's my take on the 2 brothers.

allez
03-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Rocket is right on.

The n61 95 or the n61 tour 90 is better than the PS 95 in term of stability punch. The PS 95 just play a lot softer than its flex rating of 68 (more like 62).

rocket
03-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Rocket is right on.

The n61 95 or the n61 tour 90 is better than the PS 95 in term of stability punch. The PS 95 just play a lot softer than its flex rating of 68 (more like 62).

Thanks dude! I agree that the 95 plays softer than its flex rating. Someone mentioned that its upper hoop is more flexible...

bee
03-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Lost interest in the PS 95. Had to add a lot of lead tape to make it feel solid and powerful. Switched to Head Liquid Metal Prestige Mid which feels stable and solid without extra weight added and plows through well. String it with natural gut.

Ronaldo
03-03-2006, 09:03 AM
i've been playing with the original wilson midsize 85, version taiwan and st. vincent, for the past 8 months. i recently bought the 6.0 95 headsize because my primary racquet (st. vincent pro staff) cracked and i heard good reviews on the benefits of a 95 headsize. i have added (6 grams/6 inches on each side) of babolat lead tape on the 3 & 9 o'clock. however, after playing with it for the past week it feels significantly lighter and less stable than my past racquets. it doesn't feel to have that same solid, buttery feel. i recently looked at the TW swingweight ratings for 85 and 95 and realized that there is a great difference between the two (329 for the 85 and 317 for the 95).

what do some of you suggest i should to obtain that same solid, buttery feel i had with my past racquets? is the difference solely because of the difference in the swing weight? should i add more lead tape? if so, how much more and where?

Snik, feel your pain. Posted for years that the 95 feels too light compared to the 85. Much prefer the nCode 6.1 or HPS 6.1 Tour to the PS 6.0 95.

buder
03-03-2006, 09:29 AM

I think the 85 is easier to swing because the smaller head seems to cut through the air with less resistance. The problem with the 95 is that there is not enough mass in the head -- so adding lead to 10 and 2 would help. But, why bother? The upper hoop is dead and, IMO, not worth saving. I tend to side with mojo on stability issues: all these racquets are stable in the sweetspot, and if you're missing the sweetspot (and getting too much shock) than lead may not be the issue. You can add some lead or you can just get a Volkl Tour 10 G2 and get a larger sweetspot for the virtually the same swingweight.

BreakPoint
03-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Rocket is right on.

It's true that the PS 6.0 95 plays much more flexible than its flex rating. Sometimes I feel like it plays more like a racquet rated at 60. :eek:

BreakPoint
03-03-2006, 01:37 PM
However, I developed a little TE. Don't know if it was the lead tape or the additional tennis I was playing, but I took the lead off and the elbow is just about normal without an extended layoff. I will probably experiment with the lead in smaller increments sometime this year.

Oldguy,
It could very well be the lead tape that contributed to your tennis elbow. I've found that making a racquet less head light (or more head heavy) and increasing its swingweight can be too much of an adjustment for some aging elbows. I played quite a bit with a racquet that was less headlight, had a higher swingweight, and a tad stiffer last year, and ended up with golfer's elbow, although I never had any elbow problems with the stock PS 6.0 95. Of course, it may have also been the polyester hybrid strings or just playing too much that did it, too.

I hope your elbow is getting better. :D

Keifers
03-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Certainly, the n61 95 feels more solid on impact than the 6.0 95, especially on off-center hits. The tradeoff, though, is that the n61 has a very muted feel to it, with far less feedback to the player than either the 6.0 95 or 85.

Overall, it makes perfect sense to me that players used to the 85, HPS 6.1 or HPS 6.1 Tour would find the 6.0 95 too light, too head light, and a little too flexy in the hoop -- not able to drive the ball as solidly. As rocket said above, the 95 is not an 85 + 10 sq. in. For players coming from other racquets, though, it can be a very effective weapon. It plays really well in its own right, and more than deserves to be in continued production. (Thanks, TW.)

snikkahz
03-04-2006, 06:17 PM
i added more lead tape at 3 & 9 o'clock, a total of 24 grams. it felt more stable than before, however, it still doesn't have that same pop, plow through power, and feel that the 85 has. breakpoint and others have mentioned that the 95 gears more toward a topspin player and that may be true. on groundstrokes, i attempted to hit a variety of shots, from topspin to flat to slice, the feel and power is subpar compared to the 85. the serve lacked some pop as well. with the 85, i could produce a 'heavy' ball, however i felt the 95 is geared more towards a topspin or slice serve. i'm dissapointed, maybe i'll sell the racquet? any takers? haha. well what other racquets play similar to the pro staff original 85? or maybe i'll just get another 85.

BreakPoint
03-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Have you tried either the nSix-One Tour or the PS Tour 90? If so, and you didn't like those either, then I guess you should buy another PS 6.0 85.

oldguysrule
03-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Oldguy,
It could very well be the lead tape that contributed to your tennis elbow. I've found that making a racquet less head light (or more head heavy) and increasing its swingweight can be too much of an adjustment for some aging elbows. I played quite a bit with a racquet that was less headlight, had a higher swingweight, and a tad stiffer last year, and ended up with golfer's elbow, although I never had any elbow problems with the stock PS 6.0 95. Of course, it may have also been the polyester hybrid strings or just playing too much that did it, too.

I hope your elbow is getting better. :D

It is..Thanks. How is your elbow doing?

I am swinging them stock with gut strings strung at 57. Might even drop a little more tension. I am too stubborn to take very much time off, but it doesn't bother me when I play and the after effects are improving each time. Just taking it week to week. Good luck with your recovery.

BreakPoint
03-05-2006, 04:50 PM
It is..Thanks. How is your elbow doing?

I am swinging them stock with gut strings strung at 57. Might even drop a little more tension. I am too stubborn to take very much time off, but it doesn't bother me when I play and the after effects are improving each time. Just taking it week to week. Good luck with your recovery.

Thanks. My elbow is slowly getting better, but these tendon injuries just take so much (unfortunately, too much) time to heal. Hopefully, a few more weeks and I'll be able to try playing again.

If your elbow starts getting much worse then I would suggest taking some time off. It seems that that's the only way to allow it to heal. When I got tennis elbow several years ago (using a different racquet), I finally had to stop playing for 5 months before it healed. Anyway, I hope your TE will never get to that stage, but it's best to keep close tabs of it and to bite the bullet and stop playing if it becomes necessary. Worst case is to make it so bad that surgery becomes required. That's what I was afriad of and the reason why I finally convinced myself to stop, after playing through the injury for several months. Anyway, best of luck. :)