PDA

View Full Version : Why some racquets are more expensive?

donnyz89
03-03-2006, 08:11 AM
I realize newer models are more expensive but how come some O3 racquets start at 199.99 while some other start at 189.99 or 259.99... I mean, I honestly dont see how one O3 is better than the other. Its not like one is more advertised.

louis netman
03-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I realize newer models are more expensive but how come some O3 racquets start at 199.99 while some other start at 189.99 or 259.99... I mean, I honestly dont see how one O3 is better than the other. Its not like one is more advertised.

Every company has different pricing policies. Some need to recoup higher manufacturing costs, all the while creating a "more expensive is better" image. For example, the new O3 line required new engineering, tooling/molds for the "O" Port design (a radical engineering departure from past frames, although they have been going in this direction with their grommetless designs in their previous offerings)...

legolas
03-03-2006, 12:25 PM
hmm, because of higher making costs probably

Grimjack
03-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Marketing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Every business on the planet (every competent business, anyway) employs marketing analysts to figure out the price point for each product that maximizes profits. It doesn't necessarily matter what one product costs to make, relative to another. That's just one variable. The price at which the marketing experts believe, based on research, the company will see the best combination of profit-per-racquet x total sales is the price at which they will sell it. When that analysis changes, so will the price.

vkartikv
03-03-2006, 12:42 PM
I had this exact conversation with my stringer and our guess is this: Beginners racquets (O3 red or blue, whatever that colour, n1, n3, etc.) are the most expensive and parents are willing to spend that money for their kids thanks to the manufacturers advertisements claiming that these are the 'best' beginners frames.

donnyz89
03-03-2006, 02:02 PM
I had this exact conversation with my stringer and our guess is this: Beginners racquets (O3 red or blue, whatever that colour, n1, n3, etc.) are the most expensive and parents are willing to spend that money for their kids thanks to the manufacturers advertisements claiming that these are the 'best' beginners frames.

really? but why are liquidmetal prestiges so expensive still? but I guess it kinda makes sense. bigger racquet head=higher price...

Edouard
03-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Well it is very easy to me.

Expensive models are most of the time oversize racquets with plenty of comfort.

Who seeks comfort and pleasure ? => Old People

Who has the biggest purchasing power , => Old people

It is evident !

Racquets for competitors are cheaper cause competiters are often young and don't have lot of money.

mislav
03-03-2006, 02:14 PM

Every business on the planet (every competent business, anyway) employs marketing analysts to figure out the price point for each product that maximizes profits. It doesn't necessarily matter what one product costs to make, relative to another. That's just one variable. The price at which the marketing experts believe, based on research, the company will see the best combination of profit-per-racquet x total sales is the price at which they will sell it. When that analysis changes, so will the price.
Yes, that's exactly it.

The production cost is completely irrelevant for the final price of the racquet. Differences in material costs or other manufacturing variables are simply not that significant and get evened out since all of the racquets are highly overpriced.

Exia
03-14-2006, 07:07 AM
Yes, that's exactly it.

The production cost is completely irrelevant for the final price of the racquet. Differences in material costs or other manufacturing variables are simply not that significant and get evened out since all of the racquets are highly overpriced.

So how much roughly does a tennis racket cost p/c if a major sports chain ordered in bulk (say 500)? $20 marked up to $179?

BreakPoint
03-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Why are designer clothes 10 times more expensive than non-designer clothes when they cost about the same to make? It's all about marketing and how much they can get people to pay. Price is in the eye of the beholder.

Exia
03-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Why are designer clothes 10 times more expensive than non-designer clothes when they cost about the same to make? It's all about marketing and how much they can get people to pay. Price is in the eye of the beholder.

it is a shame tennis stores do not sell " non-designer" rackets. Slazenger is no more, same with donnay.

hbueain
03-16-2006, 03:31 PM
i dont' get why Head FLexpoint 6 is 250, and is for low level players

Exia
03-16-2006, 03:35 PM

and the wilson n1.

If tennis warehouse sold under$30 rackets like wal-m-a-r-t then people will be more likely to upgrade to a "better" racket.

If the are $60 (non demo) minimum people will just pass on them

LowProfile
03-16-2006, 03:43 PM
The game improvement racquets like the n1 and Flexpoint 6 are expensive because they are more likely to be a first or early racquet for young players, which gives their parents a reason to invest a good sum in a racquet, thinking it will last their child for a long time. Little do they know, soon their kid has improved and is now spraying balls like crazy. It's a marketing thing really.

Also, I suppose the stuff that goes into super stiff rocket launchers like the n1 or O3 Silver is a little more expensive that what makes up a flexy, low powered player's frame. But it shouldn't be too much of a difference. Maybe 10-20 dollars at the most.

musicc
03-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Prices of racquets are redicoulous. Some people its worth the investment since its their bread and butter (college players and pros).

Steve H.
03-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Those expensive rocket launchers are for kids with rich ambitious parents, but they're also for "old people" as Edouard so delicately put it. More accurately, they are intended for club players who aren't great athletes but have competitive personalities, and are willing to pay any amount of money for any advantage they can get. They don't hit very hard, only need one frame at a time and don't put much wear on them, so manufacturers need to come up with a new gimmick every year or so to get them to change.

Exia
03-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Those expensive rocket launchers are for kids with rich ambitious parents, but they're also for "old people" as Edouard so delicately put it. More accurately, they are intended for club players who aren't great athletes but have competitive personalities, and are willing to pay any amount of money for any advantage they can get. They don't hit very hard, only need one frame at a time and don't put much wear on them, so manufacturers need to come up with a new gimmick every year or so to get them to change.

tw would make loads more money if the sold sub $30 rackets but doing that the newbie to the tennis world then would not spend $250+ on a 115+ sq in racket so tw don't want to hurt profits on the short term

thejerk
03-17-2006, 12:51 AM
The expensive power rackets are for beginners. Beginners don't really know what they are looking for. Go to Sports Authority and ask sales guy, which is best, he says these. These are usually the expensive ones. Put the word power on it and noobies think they are getting a great racket. Charge more for it and noobies think, "this must be a good racket, look how much it costs."

Plus what someone said about cost analysis.

BreakPoint
03-17-2006, 01:18 AM

If you look at the prices of every single model racquet from every single manufacturer, you'll notice that when it comes to tennis racquets, the lower level the racquet, the higher the price. I think the reason is that manufactures realize that beginners are more easily fooled into thinking that a more expensive racquet must be a better racquet, and therefore, will improve their games more. They assume that price means quality and superiority. But in actuality, the opposite is true with tennis racquets, i.e., usually the lower the price, the superior the racquet. Just look at the PS 6.0 85/95, still one of the lowest price models. Better/more experienced players know better and won't be fooled, thus the manufacturers need to price the racquets for better players at a lower price.

Exia
03-17-2006, 02:59 AM
If you look at the prices of every single model racquet from every single manufacturer, you'll notice that when it comes to tennis racquets, the lower level the racquet, the higher the price. I think the reason is that manufactures realize that beginners are more easily fooled into thinking that a more expensive racquet must be a better racquet, and therefore, will improve their games more. They assume that price means quality and superiority. But in actuality, the opposite is true with tennis racquets, i.e., usually the lower the price, the superior the racquet. Just look at the PS 6.0 85/95, still one of the lowest price models. Better/more experienced players know better and won't be fooled, thus the manufacturers need to price the racquets for better players at a lower price.
why cant tw do entry level rackets like deca thlon and wal mart?

seems a bit uper crust

spaceman_spiff
03-17-2006, 03:01 AM
I think you all need to use a better word than "beginner." Most kids who are beginning will use junior rackets or maybe even an old wooden racket their parents have lying around the house. I have never seen a kid learning with a rocket launcher, and rarely see fresh adult beginners using them either.

The main users of $200+ rocket launchers I have seen are those players who have played for at least a year or two, don't have very good strokes, AND are unwilling or unable to change them. That last point is very important. How many times have you seen a player who has played for years with access to different environments in which he/she could pick up better technique and yet he/she still uses the same ineffective punchy/choppy/hacking strokes? These people are either unwilling or unable to change their strokes (I find the former is more prevalent than the latter, unfortunately, which just proves the old saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks," because some old dogs (not necessarily old people, just those who have played for a while) don't want to change). So, instead of investing time and effort into improving their strokes, they invest their money in a racket they feel will improve their shots (note the difference between strokes and shots). This is why marketing people know they can charge more for such rackets.

On the other hand, players with good strokes know they can play just about as well with any racket from a wide range of rackets, and they just look for the one that fits their game best. They are not looking for a racket that will magically fix things, just one that will fit their game just right when others are just a little bit off. Also, they tend to stick to their favorite rackets longer. So, they are not willing to pay as much money.

That's just my observation in the tennis world.

spaceman_spiff
03-17-2006, 03:07 AM
why cant tw do entry level rackets like deca thlon and wal mart?

seems a bit uper crust

Why would someone spend the time and effort shopping at online with a company like TW or HS (that place in Baltimore) for such a low-cost non-distinct racket if those are readily available at a nearby store like Walmart? Think about what percentage of the total cost would comprise of just the shipping if you ordered such a low-cost racket online. Why do that if you can just drive down to a local store to get the same thing?

TW and others sell items many can't get from a nearby store or, if they can, for the same price. That's their market.

Exia
03-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Why would someone spend the time and effort shopping at online with a company like TW or HS (that place in Baltimore) for such a low-cost non-distinct racket if those are readily available at a nearby store like Walmart? Think about what percentage of the total cost would comprise of just the shipping if you ordered such a low-cost racket online. Why do that if you can just drive down to a local store to get the same thing?

TW and others sell items many can't get from a nearby store or, if they can, for the same price. That's their market.

ha coming from a fellow patriot!

tw bulk buy all the rackets for around $35 so cheaper rackets have a smaller profit margin...

UK prices are about 40% even more expensive because it is seen as an (even more so than the us of a)elitist sport for the upper class after Wimbledon!

compared to to the working class champion, football (or soccer)which is huge in Britain.

cost for a uk buyer

a typical hyped up "new"tennis racket (the one with the holes on the top(!))£180($330)
stinging fees £14.50
court costs £12
shoes £60

total £250.50+ almost $500!

football

football £3

total £3
open field £0

total £3

I think this trend is partly why great Britain is rubbish at the world stage at tennis.
tims getting old
so is the "Canadian"
the posh Scot is OK......

spaceman_spiff
03-17-2006, 06:03 AM
ha coming from a fellow patriot!

tw bulk buy all the rackets for around $35 so cheaper rackets have a smaller profit margin...

UK prices are about 40% even more expensive because it is seen as an (even more so than the us of a)elitist sport for the upper class after Wimbledon!

compared to to the working class champion, football (or soccer)which is huge in Britain.

cost for a uk buyer

a typical hyped up "new"tennis racket (the one with the holes on the top(!))180($330)
stinging fees 14.50
court costs 12
shoes 60

total 250.50+ almost $500!

football

football 3

total 3
open field 0

total 3

I think this trend is partly why great Britain is rubbish at the world stage at tennis.
tims getting old
so is the "Canadian"
the posh Scot is OK......

Actually, I'm originally from the US (just moved to Luton this year), so I am comparing and contrasting the two countries.

The only rackets here that aren't way overpriced are Dunlops (which is good for those that like them). You can get an m-fil 200g for 70, which is about how much they would cost in the US if people actually bought them. Every other racket brand is just ridiculous here.

I did find a local recreation club that has good courts (including indoor) for a reasonable price. Then again, Luton isn't the richest town and I get a pretty good salary, so it's reasonably priced for me but maybe not for others around here.

Still, the tennis players here are willing to pay high prices, so the companies are more than willing to charge them (I've only seen two people at the club using Dunlop).

Exia
03-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Actually, I'm originally from the US (just moved to Luton this year), so I am comparing and contrasting the two countries.

The only rackets here that aren't way overpriced are Dunlops (which is good for those that like them). You can get an m-fil 200g for 70, which is about how much they would cost in the US if people actually bought them. Every other racket brand is just ridiculous here.

I did find a local recreation club that has good courts (including indoor) for a reasonable price. Then again, Luton isn't the richest town and I get a pretty good salary, so it's reasonably priced for me but maybe not for others around here.

Still, the tennis players here are willing to pay high prices, so the companies are more than willing to charge them (I've only seen two people at the club using Dunlop).

I agree. i did spot a new slazenger x1 in the shops for 40 but dunlop are killing of slazenger anyway...

coolblue123
03-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Can someone define the price range between an expensive, intermediate, and inexpensive racquet?

I am always use to playing with 1 year old racquet and playing less than $130 dollars. I consider any racquets over $100 expensive.

Exia
03-18-2006, 02:09 AM
Can someone define the price range between an expensive, intermediate, and inexpensive racquet?

I am always use to playing with 1 year old racquet and playing less than $130 dollars. I consider any racquets over $100 expensive.

It costs $6 to manufacturers a racket and many factories in china charge $27 usd if you order 25+ rackets. So make your mind up on what is expensive..

ormurray
03-18-2006, 06:06 AM
Racquet prices are based on supply and demand -- and the company prices at what they think people will pay -- just like most other things in the world. And, sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong, and so the "discounting" begins.

Exia
03-18-2006, 08:22 AM
If you don't like it then order a pallet load from China for a grand....cut out the middle man

anniflava
03-18-2006, 08:30 AM
I have a fairly reasonable explanation. I actually think it's correct!: Racquets like the n1, and n3 cost so much more than racquets like the nSix-One and n6 because they are beginner frames. Most of the time, players who are beginning aren't looking at high-end Wilson racquets like the n1 and n3.

The nSix-One is priced at a reasonable price because Wilson knows that they are going to sell a lot of them. They need to sell the n1 and n3 higher price because Wilson knows that they are not going to sell a lot of them. They need to make up for the lack of sales with high pricing.

anniflava
03-18-2006, 08:31 AM

So why would you pay $130.00 for a used racquet than $100.00 for a new one?

Exia
03-18-2006, 08:36 AM
$179 resonable?

here in the uk they cost £119.99.210.775 USD

hmmmmm i wonder why a lot of fake are on eb@y(???)

Onion
03-18-2006, 11:41 AM
It's simple, they charge those high prices BECAUSE THEY CAN!

Supply / Demand

That's also why frames are discontinued so fast and often. Consumers are willing to change frames and spend money looking for that holy grail racquet. And those who didn't buy into last years gimmick, just might buy into this years gimmick.

It's the same thing in the golf industry. How many golfers are willing to get rid of a perfectly good driver that's fairly new to try out the newest thing hoping to get even 5 yards more on the drive? And a driver can cost upwards of $500! And that holds true for every club in their bag. And there's a bunch in there!

coolblue123
03-18-2006, 04:33 PM
It costs $6 to manufacturers a racket and many factories in china charge $27 usd if you order 25+ rackets. So make your mind up on what is expensive..

Wow we should set up a clearinghouse! Get a bunch of ppl who wants the same racquet and order it from China. I am sure there are over 25 ppl whom wants nCode or PD racquets right? Wow I would really like to get into this business, charge ppl $70 for a $200 racquet and make a bundle! Anyone want take a trip overseas? =)

hbueain
03-18-2006, 04:39 PM
same reason as why some Cars are more expensive

-the cost to make it

JennyS
03-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I think it would be a mistake for a beginner/advanced beginner to spent $250 on a racquet, when they can either get a pretty cheap used one at a yard sale, a thrift shop, a used sporting goods store, or they can go to sports authority or walmart and get a decent recreational frame for $30-$45 dollars.

hbueain
03-18-2006, 06:02 PM
I think it would be a mistake for a beginner/advanced beginner to spent $250 on a racquet, when they can either get a pretty cheap used one at a yard sale, a thrift shop, a used sporting goods store, or they can go to sports authority or walmart and get a decent recreational frame for $30-$45 dollars.

i think everything depends on if the player will keep playing, if the player will stop play for a few month, then yeah they should get a 40 bucks racquet.

BabolatFan
03-18-2006, 06:17 PM

We have an accord as Capt. Jack Sparrow from pirates of the caribbean. Had to throw it in. Jokes aside, ok marketing is a big a factor and certain companies make sure their brand is protected and they do not wanna spoil the market by matching their prices. Prince rackets do sell like hot cakes. Turnover is fast here and overseas.

doriancito
03-18-2006, 07:36 PM
its a psycological thing of about how people think, you knwo they just adevertise this racquets and you think "wow thats awesome, that must be really expensive" and they put it to be, when the actual factory price is 50 bucks!

Ronaldo
03-18-2006, 07:58 PM
More you pay, more work the racquet does for you. Remember the MegaAge racquets? Believe they were about the right price for their PJ, eh?