PDA

View Full Version : POG MP just blows me away !

christo
03-03-2006, 08:15 AM
I've just got to stop demoing old classic frames. I keep wanting to love new technology, i.e FXP, O-Ports etc. but they just don't work out under matchplay. I keep finding myself drifting back to basic tried and true stuff. Like the PS 6.0 and now I've fallen hard for an old survivor, the legendary POG. I tried it a few years back but it didn't click but demoed on a whim last month and was struck by how consistently I was playing. More power than I expected and the damn shots feel like they are on rails. Also no hot spots in the stringbed, you know those shots where the ball just takes of like a rocket for no apparent reason. What this frame can do that NO other racquet I know of can do is hit a flat line drive very well AND then hit a swerving , curving angled shot ( think inside baseline into service box and off into next court) which makes your opponent develop stunned, comical expressions.
Also serves with consistency and variety, flat, slice and kick can be found with ease. last but not least, this is a beautiful , classic paintjob.
Strung with Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase, very gut like feel, Prince, don't ever stop making this racquet !

nagaul
03-03-2006, 08:25 AM
i used the pog mp for years , i still have an old cracked frame in the cupboard which i get out occasionally. the only downside for me on that racket is i find it lacks a bit of zip on the serve. i'd probably put a bit of lead tape on it theses days to help with that. Other than that i agree, wow, what a great racket.

cruzersi99
03-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Great Racquet, but the 14-18 string pattern is a killer on strings.

I don't have the time, nor the money (strings) to put up with it....lol

louis netman
03-03-2006, 08:45 AM
i used the pog mp for years , i still have an old cracked frame in the cupboard which i get out occasionally. the only downside for me on that racket is i find it lacks a bit of zip on the serve. i'd probably put a bit of lead tape on it theses days to help with that. Other than that i agree, wow, what a great racket.

I've got to admit that the POG's one for anybody's collection. Raw, classic feel, especially with full gut. May be Prince's most "feely" frame ever. I agree with no hotspots, however frames of that nature have what I call "cold spots." If you're not completely on top of it, you can easily chalk up a short ball...

GS
03-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I fell for the POG mid years ago, but when Prince made a close version with a 95 square inch head, the Precision Graphite 640, I really found my holy grail. I keep buying used ones, and wisely bought alot of replacement grommet/bumper sets while I could.

armand
03-03-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't know that much about the POGs. I see on TW and the Prince site that there are 2 POGs but I understand there used to be 100sq" 28" longbody version. What happened to it?

K. Wilson Moose
03-03-2006, 08:50 AM
I fell for the POG mid years ago, but when Prince made a close version with a 95 sqare inch head, the Precision Graphite 640, I really found my holy grail. I keep buying used ones, and wisely bought alot of replacement grommet/bumper sets while I could.

Ah, you're back to the 640. Great frame, and as you know, I loved that one too. Now use the old DB24, which is my holy grail (have 4 of them). Should last an old man for awile :>).

Freedom
03-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Sounds like you found your holy grail.