PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a vintage racquet

Amone
03-03-2006, 04:45 PM
At the moment, I use a Prince Diablo Tour 93, and though I do intend to keep right on using it for the most part, I wanted to get a proper vintage racquet for kicks. I'm not referring to a wallhanging case, I mean that I want to get something to play with. Right now, I've got a Bancroft "Aries" (I assume that's it, because it says that on the throat) which has about an 84 sq in head, and it's nice because it's SO flexible. Now, that I got for no real reason; it was $13 at my local used sports equipment store, so I picked it up.

So, I wanted to know: What racquets would I want to look for to meet these specifications:

Preferably under 80 sq inches, definitely under 90
Over 12 oz
Very flexible (I don't really know where my Aries is, but I want it to be close to that, if possible)
Preferably graphite, though really anything between wooden composite (think Head Graphite Edge, as opposed to Wilson Jack Kramer Pro Staff) and aluminum will suffice.

Obviously, those are just guidelines, but I'd like to see them met if possible. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Oh, and something that I can get at least a few of the specs on would be nice, too..

Deuce
03-03-2006, 11:06 PM
If you want "very flexible", get yourself a Head XRC - it's all fiberglass. Beautiful feel.

Also take a look at the Head Arthur Ashe Competition frames.

Prince Magnesium Pro 90 if you want a very comfortable 90 sq. in. frame...

BreakPoint
03-03-2006, 11:37 PM
You may also want to try a Dunlop Max 200G. Super flexible graphite racquet with an RA of 40 and a head about 82 sq. in.

The good thing also is that they were so popular in the '80's that there are plenty still floating around so it should be easy to find. Check the big auction site or the Classifieds here on TW.

Yes, that was the racquet that John McEnroe and Steffi Graf used on the pro tours.

AndrewD
03-04-2006, 12:14 AM
How about the Rossignol F200? I think it's 'vintage' enough by now, exceedingly flexible and I would imagine it's around the 12 ounces plus mark.

Amone
03-04-2006, 07:11 AM
The F200 Carbon, I really do want, and the Graphite (the woodie) I don't really know anything about. It the wooden one as good as the F200 Carbon?

As far as the other suggestions: Thanks, that's really useful! I'll definitely look into the XRC and 200G, and the Ashe and Magnesium Pro will go on my list.