PDA

View Full Version : RDs003 versus RDX300

CliffH
03-03-2006, 08:05 PM
My wife is looking to see if the new rds003 would be an upgrade for her rdx300. We just got the demo but the yonex users on this board have been very accurate in the past, as she has enjoyed the rdx300 as an upgrade to her past puredrive and instinct racquets. Thanks.

Ripper
03-25-2006, 10:27 AM
My wife is looking to see if the new rds003 would be an upgrade for her rdx300. We just got the demo but the yonex users on this board have been very accurate in the past, as she has enjoyed the rdx300 as an upgrade to her past puredrive and instinct racquets. Thanks.

Don't know about the word "upgrade", because I have never used the RDX300, but I can tell you this RDS003 is sure attracting some attention.

netman
03-25-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm doing a comp review with the RDS 003 right now. After 3 weeks of testing, here is the quick report.

Stiff frame. Monster serving stick, particurlarly for flat bombs. Makes my OHBH a weapon. Stiffness makes touch shots difficult. Decent volleys, but again touch shots at the net are hard to execute. Small sweetspot requires a full swing. Swings heavier than its static weight would indicate. Plays much stiffer than the spec flex would indicate. Even though it plays stiff, it is comfortable. My test frame is only 6 pts head light, not 12 as listed by TW.
Did I say how stiff it feels? :)

-k-

Ripper
03-26-2006, 07:42 AM

You sure did :)

Edouard
03-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Which RDX 300's model ? The midplus or the supermid ?

CliffH
03-26-2006, 08:10 PM
mid 98 sq inches

backcourt
03-27-2006, 04:44 AM
Netman, Have you ever hit with the RDX 300? Can you compare the two? Does the 003 play stiffer? I really like the RDX 300 ,but couldn't seem to get much pop on serves or drive on slice backhands, and it sounds like the 003 addresses those issues. But the 300 didn't feel that stiff to me despite its 67 rating.

armand
03-28-2006, 03:10 PM
It's weird how the new RDS003 is more flexible than its predecessor, yet it has a fatter beam.

I thought the point of a widebody was that a racquet could be made stiff and light at the same time?

FuriousYellow
03-28-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm doing a comp review with the RDS 003 right now. After 3 weeks of testing, here is the quick report.

Stiff frame. Monster serving stick, particurlarly for flat bombs. Makes my OHBH a weapon. Stiffness makes touch shots difficult. Decent volleys, but again touch shots at the net are hard to execute. Small sweetspot requires a full swing. Swings heavier than its static weight would indicate. Plays much stiffer than the spec flex would indicate. Even though it plays stiff, it is comfortable. My test frame is only 6 pts head light, not 12 as listed by TW.

-k-

Thanks netman. Look forward to reading the full review.

Does it feel stiffer than the Maxply? What kind of strings/tension does it have in it?

emmyc
04-02-2006, 06:05 PM

-k-

Is your review finished yet? I would be anxious to see it, since I am considering the RDS 003.

vin
04-03-2006, 05:06 AM
I'm new to Yonex frames, but started playing with the RDS 003 a few days ago. I've hit with the RDX 500 MP, but never the 300. The 003 is not as comfy as the 500, but I don't think anyone would be expecting that.

I can see how people would say it's a stiff frame, but I believe it's feel corresponds to it's RDA. In my opinion, it's clearly more comfortable than the tweeners approaching 70 RDA and I think it feels more like a players frame than one of those really stiff tweeners. When I hit with it, I get a slight feel of the frame giving (which I like).

To give you an idea of what I'm used to, I've played in the Volkl 10 series for the past two years and spent the last month trying to make the DNX 8 work. The RDS feels a lot nicer than the DNX in my opinion which is part of the reason why I'm using it now.

The only complaint I have about the RDS is that the paint seems to chip off really easily and I'm not that rough on frames.

Ripper
04-03-2006, 05:23 AM
It's weird how the new RDS003 is more flexible than its predecessor, yet it has a fatter beam.

I thought the point of a widebody was that a racquet could be made stiff and light at the same time?

Yonex engineers these raquets to flex at the throat and not at the hoop. That's the reason for the thick beam. Furthermore, I think these raquets' throats flex quite a bit (not like the RDX line raquets, though), but, because they snap back faster, it feels like a stiffer raquet to the brain.

backcourt
04-03-2006, 05:46 AM
I 've hit with my RDS 003 twice now, once during a doubles match and yesterday I hit some singles. I have been using an MP 3i for several years and its fair to say the RDS shares some of the same qualities. It hits like a players racquet but with more power, and has a bit more power than either the MP 3i or the RDX 300 its most recent predecesor. I only hit with the RDX 300 once, but the areas it was lacking in for me, the serve and backhand, have been well addressed with the 003. I can get much more power on my serves, and IMO the 003 is a great single handed backhand racquet. I was able to block back serves on my backhand with nice precision, and drive the ball low with my usual backhand slice. Yesterday I was even hitting some decent top spin backhands, which are not my usual shot. I also really like the oo3 for volleys, it has a nice solid feel and you can direct the volley where you want. Forehand topspins can be looped or driven low. However, this does play and swing heavier than the 300 RDX, so for me I couldn't hit the same little wrist flick topspins I seemed to hit with that racquet. But maybe that was more due to the small grip on the rdx 300 demo. IMO this swings a little heavier than the RDX 500MP, as it sure doesn't feel 12 pts. headlight as TW describes it. IT felt closer to my 6 pts. headlight mp 3i.

Finally, and of major concern to me, it seems pretty arm and shoulder friendly. But agree not as arm friendly as the RDX 500 mp or my 3i's which I'll keep in the bag on days when my shoulder is bothering me. There is significant weight when your serving, and I have yet to play a singles match with it. But the weight didn't bother my shoulder through a couple of sets of doubles.

Summation: A nice not overly stiff tweener with some nice pop that plays similarly to a player racquet, great for serves and one handed backhands.

JediMindTrick
04-03-2006, 06:24 AM
I 've hit with my RDS 003 twice now, once during a doubles match and yesterday I hit some singles. I have been using an MP 3i for several years and its fair to say the RDS shares some of the same qualities. It hits like a players racquet but with more power, and has a bit more power than either the MP 3i or the RDX 300 its most recent predecesor. I only hit with the RDX 300 once, but the areas it was lacking in for me, the serve and backhand, have been well addressed with the 003. I can get much more power on my serves, and IMO the 003 is a great single handed backhand racquet. I was able to block back serves on my backhand with nice precision, and drive the ball low with my usual backhand slice. Yesterday I was even hitting some decent top spin backhands, which are not my usual shot. I also really like the oo3 for volleys, it has a nice solid feel and you can direct the volley where you want. Forehand topspins can be looped or driven low. However, this does play and swing heavier than the 300 RDX, so for me I couldn't hit the same little wrist flick topspins I seemed to hit with that racquet. But maybe that was more due to the small grip on the rdx 300 demo. IMO this swings a little heavier than the RDX 500MP, as it sure doesn't feel 12 pts. headlight as TW describes it. IT felt closer to my 6 pts. headlight mp 3i.

Finally, and of major concern to me, it seems pretty arm and shoulder friendly. But agree not as arm friendly as the RDX 500 mp or my 3i's which I'll keep in the bag on days when my shoulder is bothering me. There is significant weight when your serving, and I have yet to play a singles match with it. But the weight didn't bother my shoulder through a couple of sets of doubles.

Summation: A nice not overly stiff tweener with some nice pop that plays similarly to a player racquet, great for serves and one handed backhands.

How is the upper hoop on the RDS 003 compared to the RDX 500 MP? I felt like the upper hoop on the RDX 500 MP was kind of dead.

vin
04-03-2006, 06:33 AM
How is the upper hoop on the RDS 003 compared to the RDX 500 MP? I felt like the upper hoop on the RDX 500 MP was kind of dead.

As different as night and day. I hit high in the stringbed, and no problem with the RDS 003. I think most people hit high on the stringbed, particularly for serves, and that's probably why the 500 MP is regarded as a poor serving stick. I assure you that the RDS 003 is NOT a poor serving stick and I would go as far as saying it's a very good serving stick - maybe just shy of the PD or DNX 8.

backcourt
04-03-2006, 07:51 AM
As different as night and day. I hit high in the stringbed, and no problem with the RDS 003. I think most people hit high on the stringbed, particularly for serves, and that's probably why the 500 MP is regarded as a poor serving stick. I assure you that the RDS 003 is NOT a poor serving stick and I would go as far as saying it's a very good serving stick - maybe just shy of the PD or DNX 8.

I concur. I didn't notice a dead upper hoop, although I wasn't testing for it. I also think this racquet serves similarly to the PD, but maybe with a little less pop.

SC in MA
04-03-2006, 09:31 AM

Summation: A nice not overly stiff tweener with some nice pop that plays similarly to a player racquet, great for serves and one handed backhands.Thanks Backcourt for the nice writeup of the RDS003. Can you talk a bit more about the weight and manuverability? It sounds like the static weight of the RDS003 feels closer to a player's racket than a tweener. Is this true ? Also, it sounds like the swingweight feels closer to the 320's than the spec'd 315 ? True ?

In your doubles match, were you able to get the RDS003 in position to handle quick volley exchanges and stab volleys ? Is it easy to generate rackethead speed and spin ? And was it solid on returns ? And finally, when you hit the ball, does it feel like the ball has some weight behind it?

Sorry for so many questions. This racket has piqued my interest if it doesn't play too heavy. Thanks.

vin
04-03-2006, 09:49 AM
SC, if you don't mind hearing my opinion ...

It sounds like the static weight of the RDS003 feels closer to a player's racket than a tweener. Is this true ?

Yes and no. It's static weight is ~11.1 oz, but it feels solid on contact, more so than most 11 oz rackets I've hit with.

Also, it sounds like the swingweight feels closer to the 320's than the spec'd 315 ? True ?

I would say no, at least not the one I have, and mine is definitely less headlight than 12 pts as others have reported. I played for 5 hours yesterday, nearly straight, and not once did I feel like the racket head was getting away from me. That's the feel that I go by to know that the swingweight is too much and I equate it to a feel of sloppiness. It may swing around 320, but not likely any higher, otherwise I think I'd have trouble with it. It definitely swings heavier than the DNX 8, but for me that is good.

In your doubles match, were you able to get the RDS003 in position to handle quick volley exchanges and stab volleys ?

I played some doubles this weekend with a few guys who like to blast away right at you and made some nice volleys on those types of shots. I know this will sounds cheesy, but I don't think I've ever volleyed as well as I do with this racket. This was a big surprise, but hey, I'll take it!

Is it easy to generate rackethead speed and spin ?

Easy enough (for me). It's definitely easier to hit spin with the DNX 8, but I wouldn't say it's hard to hit spin with the RDS. I can hit spin with just about anything, but what I like about the RDS is that it's easier for me to hit through the ball.

And was it solid on returns ?

Plenty! Part of the 5 hours I played yesterday with this was a 3 hour match against a big server and I was very pleased with my returns. I was able to get the racket around in time and contact felt good and sturdy.

And finally, when you hit the ball, does it feel like the ball has some weight behind it?

Not as much as a 12 oz'er, but YES. There's enough resemblence of "plow through" to keep me happy, and definitely more so than with the DNX 8.

backcourt
04-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks Backcourt for the nice writeup of the RDS003. Can you talk a bit more about the weight and manuverability? It sounds like the static weight of the RDS003 feels closer to a player's racket than a tweener. Is this true ? Also, it sounds like the swingweight feels closer to the 320's than the spec'd 315 ? True ?

In your doubles match, were you able to get the RDS003 in position to handle quick volley exchanges and stab volleys ? Is it easy to generate rackethead speed and spin ? And was it solid on returns ? And finally, when you hit the ball, does it feel like the ball has some weight behind it?

Sorry for so many questions. This racket has piqued my interest if it doesn't play too heavy. Thanks.

backcourt
04-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks Backcourt for the nice writeup of the RDS003. Can you talk a bit more about the weight and manuverability? It sounds like the static weight of the RDS003 feels closer to a player's racket than a tweener. Is this true ? Also, it sounds like the swingweight feels closer to the 320's than the spec'd 315 ? True ?

SC in MA; I generally agree with Vin. But based on having weighed my other racquetMP 3i, which actually did weigh 11.1, I would guess my 4 5/8 003 is closer to 11.5. I would put the swingweight higher than 315 as well, perhaps just shy of 320, based on my old Ki 5's 325 swingweight.

Manuverability at the net is fine, and it volleys very solidly. It is not the most mavuveable stick out there, eg. I think Yonex mp 3i's and rdx 500 mp's are a little quicker at the net, but at my 4.0 level I had no problem in volley exchanges or stab volleys. I too really like this racquet for volleys.

Racquet head speed and spin are not a problem, and as I mentioned abovd, I really like this racquet for returns, particularly on the backhand side. The ball definitely feels like it has some weight behind it, which it one of the nice features of this racquet. In doubles, I hit a couple of sharp angled forehand cross court returns by my opponent on his weight into net.

Vin will probably disagree with me, but based on the couple of times I've hit with a Babolat, I think this racquet has some pure drive in it, it that it serves very well and has some good power; but a nice feature is its more flexible, and volleys better.

Lastly, I do think TW is quite a bit off on the 12 pts. headlight rating.

Hope this helps.

vin
04-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Vin will probably disagree with me, but based on the couple of times I've hit with a Babolat, I think this racquet has some pure drive in it, it that it serves very well and has some good power; but a nice feature is its more flexible, and volleys better.

I agree with a big emphasis on nicer feel. :)

Is the paint chipping off of yours around the 3 & 9 spots where court rash is typical? I've used mine for maybe 15 hours so far and the thing looks a year old already!

SC in MA
04-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks Vin ! I definitely value your opinion, but damn, now there's another racket I'm going to have to try :-).

In doubles play, I'm finding that I'm not able to manuever the DNX9 as quickly as I'd like. Though it sure is solid and hits a nice heavy ball. And on sitter's, I can really generate racket head speed and spin with it. But I seem to be too late too often on returns off fast serves and on reflex volleys. I think the DNX9 will be a nice clay-court singles racket, but that's still about a month and a half away.

Yesterday I played doubles with the DNX8 for the first time. Overall, I was very pleased with it, especially its tremendous manueverability. Volleys, overheads and serves were all great. The only area I thought somewhat lacking was a more substantial, weight-behind-the-ball feel on service returns. At times, my ball strike would have a somewhat hollow feel to it.

I guess I'm hoping the RDS003 plays somewhere between the DNX9 and DNX8 in terms of manueverabilty and solid, ball strike feel. It sure sounds like it does.

vin
04-03-2006, 10:36 AM
I definitely value your opinion, but damn, now there's another racket I'm going to have to try :-).

Sorry dude! :mrgreen:

Unless the DNX 9 shocks me, I'm certainly happy enough with the RDS to call it a day (5 months actually) and get back to focusing on my game.

I know exactly what you mean about the "hollow" feel, and I think that's typical of tweeners, especially the stiffer ones. And as comfy as the DNX 8 is for a 69 flex, you can still tell it's a stiff racket! I just don't like that feel (or the hollow feel) and couldn't get past it.

SC in MA
04-03-2006, 10:44 AM
SC in MA; I generally agree with Vin. But based on having weighed my other racquetMP 3i, which actually did weigh 11.1, I would guess my 4 5/8 003 is closer to 11.5. I would put the swingweight higher than 315 as well, perhaps just shy of 320, based on my old Ki 5's 325 swingweight.

Manuverability at the net is fine, and it volleys very solidly. It is not the most mavuveable stick out there, eg. I think Yonex mp 3i's and rdx 500 mp's are a little quicker at the net, but at my 4.0 level I had no problem in volley exchanges or stab volleys. I too really like this racquet for volleys.

Racquet head speed and spin are not a problem, and as I mentioned abovd, I really like this racquet for returns, particularly on the backhand side. The ball definitely feels like it has some weight behind it, which it one of the nice features of this racquet. In doubles, I hit a couple of sharp angled forehand cross court returns by my opponent on his weight into net.

Lastly, I do think TW is quite a bit off on the 12 pts. headlight rating.

Hope this helps.Thanks Backcourt. This helps a lot, especially your real feel static and swing weights. Also, I'm really glad to hear that it serves and volleys well and that power is good. I've only briefly hit with Yonex rackets a couple of times. I've heard that serve and power are not Yonex strong points in general. It sounds like they addressed those issues with this one.

backcourt
04-03-2006, 11:36 AM
I agree with a big emphasis on nicer feel. :)

Is the paint chipping off of yours around the 3 & 9 spots where court rash is typical? I've used mine for maybe 15 hours so far and the thing looks a year old already!

I've only hit with it twice and haven't had chipping paint problems so far.

backcourt
04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks Backcourt. This helps a lot, especially your real feel static and swing weights. Also, I'm really glad to hear that it serves and volleys well and that power is good. I've only briefly hit with Yonex rackets a couple of times. I've heard that serve and power are not Yonex strong points in general. It sounds like they addressed those issues with this one.

Yes they did and it seems that they had to increase the swing weight of the rdx 300 to address those issues. A real test for me will be outside on the singles court, if I can still serve well into the second or third set, and if my shoulder is still happy at that point.

TennisMD
04-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Netman and backcourt nice input, the serving qualities has raised my interest the babs PD and APD are such servng weapons for me they just set up the rest of my game and volleys and touch are fine for my game, however whenever I go back to them and play 5 days in a row and 2 to 3 hrs a time, not unusual now,the prodrome for TE begins, so I have packed these away. The Yonex RDS003 looks like a replacement what are your thoughts on arm safety after several days of play

backcourt
04-04-2006, 11:00 AM
So far so good. I have a bad shoulder, diagnosed with impingement several years ago, and it feels fine after my two hits. I'm playing doubles tonight so it won't be a real test. My concern is the higher swingweight than I am used to and how that may effect my shoulder during a couple of sets of singles. But I wont be doing that till the clay dries out in late April. Due to the additional flex, I would think this is a better racquet for your elbow than a Pure Drive. I prefer the feel, but I based on my limited experience I think a PD and APD are more powerful.

Jackson Heights
10-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Regarding the Yonex "RDS 003" 100 inch MP:

A number of posters on other threads have described this racket in negative terms as a "sluggish" racket. Can anyone be specific as to exactly what they mean? Is what they say true?

One of the knocks on the RDS 003 on other threads is that it lacks power on the serve. Yet some of the posters on this thread think that serving power is one of the racket's stongest points. Which is it? (I won't be able to demo the RDS 003 for a while but I am curious to hear your opinions).

backcourt
10-12-2006, 05:13 AM
Regarding the Yonex "RDS 003" 100 inch MP:

A number of posters on other threads have described this racket in negative terms as a "sluggish" racket. Can anyone be specific as to exactly what they mean? Is what they say true?

One of the knocks on the RDS 003 on other threads is that it lacks power on the serve. Yet some of the posters on this thread think that serving power is one of the racket's stongest points. Which is it? (I won't be able to demo the RDS 003 for a while but I am curious to hear your opinions).

I eventually gave up on this stick because while I loved it for solid volleys and slice backhands, it was too slugish for my topspin forehands and kick serves. It does have good power, and i could hit a nice flatter serve with it, but couldn't get it over the ball quickly enough for my bread and butter kick serve, nor could I come over the ball quickly enough to get the topsin i'm used to. If I hit a flatter driving forehand the 003 would have been great for me. All this said, I think many posters have liked the topspin and service spin they get with this. Ultimately, I think you'll have to demo to see if you can get it over the ball quckly enuff to suit your game.

I have since switched to a Volkl Cat 8 VE, which I have wieghted up to 11.6 and is 6pts headlight. If you find the 003 too sluggish you may want to give this stick a try; but for me it definitely need lead.

Jackson Heights
10-12-2006, 10:55 AM
I eventually gave up on this stick because while I loved it for solid volleys and slice backhands, it was too slugish for my topspin forehands and kick serves. It does have good power, and i could hit a nice flatter serve with it, but couldn't get it over the ball quickly enough for my bread and butter kick serve, nor could I come over the ball quickly enough to get the topsin i'm used to. If I hit a flatter driving forehand the 003 would have been great for me. All this said, I think many posters have liked the topspin and service spin they get with this. Ultimately, I think you'll have to demo to see if you can get it over the ball quckly enuff to suit your game.

I have since switched to a Volkl Cat 8 VE, which I have wieghted up to 11.6 and is 6pts headlight. If you find the 003 too sluggish you may want to give this stick a try; but for me it definitely need lead.

Do you mean the RDS 003 needed lead? Did you need the lead to help for topspin forehand and kick second serves with the RDS 003? Could you hit the hard flatter serve without the lead tape?

backcourt
10-12-2006, 12:03 PM
No, I meant the Cat 8 VE needs lead. I dont think the RDS 003 needs lead, it already swings pretty heavy and is quite powerful. I wouldn't have wanted to make it more sluggish. Its the weight already inherent in the racquet which makes it good for flat serves where you throw the ball way in front of you. IMO it doesn't need lead.

Jackson Heights
10-26-2006, 02:50 PM

I am currently using the Yonex MP-2i. I like the MP-2i a lot but was looking for a racket with maybe just a touch more control, and maybe just a touch less power. I was thinking of checking out the RDS 003. Just wondering, is this racket good for me? What about the reviews that say the RDS 003 generates very little topspin on groundstrokes? Is it hard to hit with topspin with that racket? I am USTA 3.5 - 4.0, mostly a very steady baseliner in singles, and not a hard hitter. Moderate topspin. But I also play doubles, where of course I will be volleying at the net.

coolblue123
10-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Do you mean the RDS 003 needed lead? Did you need the lead to help for topspin forehand and kick second serves with the RDS 003? Could you hit the hard flatter serve without the lead tape?

Hi Jackson: I did put in lead at the 3 and 9 oclock position of my RDS 003. I would say it hits alittle bit more stablier. But then, I've been used to hitting with a alittle heavier racquet. I just put in alittle bit and it helped alot. For me, it helped me put alot more pace and spin on the ball. Volleys were more stabiler but once again, as always with my 003, touch and feel wasn't the best. So all in all, I'd try to put in some lead, if you don't like it then take it out.

backcourt
10-27-2006, 01:20 PM
I am currently using the Yonex MP-2i. I like the MP-2i a lot but was looking for a racket with maybe just a touch more control, and maybe just a touch less power. I was thinking of checking out the RDS 003. Just wondering, is this racket good for me? What about the reviews that say the RDS 003 generates very little topspin on groundstrokes? Is it hard to hit with topspin with that racket? I am USTA 3.5 - 4.0, mostly a very steady baseliner in singles, and not a hard hitter. Moderate topspin. But I also play doubles, where of course I will be volleying at the net.

I never hit with an MP 2i, but recall its relatively evenly balanced isnt it? If they still made them, the mp 3i sounds just like what you are looking for, the downside maybe being its a 95 head size. However as the updated version of the MP 3i the 003 might work for you. For me personally, it just swings a little heavy, so I could'nt get as much top on my forehands or kick on serves. But if you do a search there are others on these boards who think it works well for those strokes. In addition, since you hit "moderate topspin" the 003 could be a good match, as I found it to work very well at driving the ball deep, just not with the top I'm used to. IMO the rdx 300 swings lighter and is more spinny, but less powerful than the 003. Demo them both and let us know your thoughts.

Jackson Heights
10-28-2006, 05:49 PM
I never hit with an MP 2i, but recall its relatively evenly balanced isnt it? If they still made them, the mp 3i sounds just like what you are looking for, the downside maybe being its a 95 head size. However as the updated version of the MP 3i the 003 might work for you. For me personally, it just swings a little heavy, so I could'nt get as much top on my forehands or kick on serves. But if you do a search there are others on these boards who think it works well for those strokes. In addition, since you hit "moderate topspin" the 003 could be a good match, as I found it to work very well at driving the ball deep, just not with the top I'm used to. IMO the rdx 300 swings lighter and is more spinny, but less powerful than the 003. Demo them both and let us know your thoughts.

Thanks for the reply. Some specifics to your answer.
The Yonex MP-2i is a little head light. A 95 inch head is probably too small for me. I did demo the RDX 300, both versions, a long time ago. I did not like the feel of the 98 inch one and felt it was a little weak and had a small sweetspot, if I remember. The 103 inch version was similar to the MP-2i in feel and power, but felt like an oversize, even though it isn't. I prefer the feel of a midplus. I would prefer just a touch less power and more control than the 103 inch RDX 300. But more power than the 98 inch version. But the 103 inch version was somewhat similar to the MP-2i.

It is nice to know the RDS 003 might be OK for me although I hit with moderate topspin. I plan to demo it. I guess it is the people who use heavy topspin that are having problems with it. Am I correct? Others complain about its heavy weight. The stats show the swingweight and weight of the 003 are kind of medium, not heavy. Hopefully I can use it. Also, is the RDS 003 the updated version of the MP-3i or of the RDX 300 (98 or 103 version?)

Rafa's best friend
10-28-2006, 06:09 PM
RDS 003 as good of a racket it is, it is NOT good for volleying, it is excellent for groundies. MUCH better all around racket is RQS 11, this is a nearly a PERFECT racket. It just needs little more pop from the ground unless you are a big hitter already. SO i requested from YONEX to make a racket with exact same specs but make the stiffness index to 68 or 70 from 65 which is at the moment. THIS WOULD BE A ULTIMATE DO EVERYTHING WELL RACKET, PERFECTION IN ITSELF. It is a excellent serving racket. PLEASE EVERYONE, TRY THE RACKET, YOU WILL LOVE IT.

Jackson Heights
10-29-2006, 12:10 AM
I never tried the RQS 11 (Is that Hingis' new racket?) or the RDS 003. But the few reviews I read of the RQS 11 is that it has very little pop. All the reviews I read of the RDS 003 are that it is good for volleying, even from the people who didn't like it. I guess everyone has their own opinion. Or it could be the strings. By the way Rafa, you said the RDS 003 is good for groundies. Could you get some decent topspin on your groundstrokes with the 003?

bertrevert
10-29-2006, 03:44 AM
I'd like to add that the RDS003 is a very fine racquet. Not for me, but for a girl I hit with. It's stable and has a huge sweetspot and she absolutely loves it. I bought it for myself but it wasn't right for me. It's got a lot of power and spin and it's very consistent in the right hands. To me it's good heft was a bonus in giving your stroke stability. So I think it's good for a 3.0 player someone like that. (I found I had to go for the 001 MID for my game). A very good racquet for baseliners and yet can iron out the dinks and bunts of a social game.

PS. it also looks good which was important for htis gal ;)

backcourt
10-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the reply. Some specifics to your answer.
It is nice to know the RDS 003 might be OK for me although I hit with moderate topspin. I plan to demo it. I guess it is the people who use heavy topspin that are having problems with it. Am I correct? Others complain about its heavy weight. The stats show the swingweight and weight of the 003 are kind of medium, not heavy. Hopefully I can use it. Also, is the RDS 003 the updated version of the MP-3i or of the RDX 300 (98 or 103 version?)
I dont think it swings that heavy, but definitely heavier than I am used to....perhaps it I gave it several weeks I could have adjusted; I would guess that those who dont find it a heavy swinging frame are coming from frames with similar swingweights. After having hitting partners tell me that my serve wasn't coming in with the same kick that they all complain about, that was enough for me, combined with my noticing a lot less top on my forehand.

Last word is I was using a 5/8 grip, (which I bought from the TW liquidation department) and I understand that Yonex's can vary by weight and swingweight depending upon the grip size. Perhaps I would have liked a 1/2 better. Everyone is different and I based upon your interest, and the swingweight you're used to etc. you may really like it and I think you should definitely demo an 003.