PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RD Power 10

Golden Retriever
03-04-2006, 02:44 AM
The one that Rios used. Any comments on this racquet pls? Is it considered a classic?

tennisplayer
03-04-2006, 05:59 AM
It is a classic, for me. I used it for many years. Mine was around 12.7 ounces with SW of 350+. Fantastic for ground strokes and serves. Great for volleys if you can move it fast enough. Talk about heavy balls - this racquet is hard to beat for power and spin. Be sure to string it with a relatively soft string at less than 60lbs, since it is a stiff racquet, unless you have hands of steel. I found it really comfortable, though, the way I strung it. The one time I tried Luxilon Timo on it I almost destroyed both my hands...

I have switched to a PD MP + mainly because it is an ounce lighter and 20 points lower in SW. At this stage in my tennis development, I need the quickness this affords more than the power and spin of the RD-10. But, I keep reverting to the RD-10 on occasion since I love the feel of it.

But before you buy one, be sure to give it a trial for a week or so and see how you feel. Happy hitting!

dirtballer
03-04-2006, 06:59 AM
I agree - a great racket. I used the Power 10 for about 5 years. I liked the 27-1/2 in. model better than the 28. It was a little clubby but great for flat ground strokes. It was not real maneuverable at the net but if you could get to the ball, you could really punch away volleys. If it would have stayed in production, I probably would have used it a little longer. However, now that I'm used to a lighter racket, I probably couldn't go back.

Golden Retriever
03-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the tips.

dcheung
03-05-2006, 03:58 AM
It is a classic, for me. I used it for many years. Mine was around 12.7 ounces with SW of 350+. Fantastic for ground strokes and serves. Great for volleys if you can move it fast enough. Talk about heavy balls - this racquet is hard to beat for power and spin. Be sure to string it with a relatively soft string at less than 60lbs, since it is a stiff racquet, unless you have hands of steel. I found it really comfortable, though, the way I strung it. The one time I tried Luxilon Timo on it I almost destroyed both my hands...

I have switched to a PD MP + mainly because it is an ounce lighter and 20 points lower in SW. At this stage in my tennis development, I need the quickness this affords more than the power and spin of the RD-10. But, I keep reverting to the RD-10 on occasion since I love the feel of it.

But before you buy one, be sure to give it a trial for a week or so and see how you feel. Happy hitting!

I concur all the things here. I hurt my elbow earlier during a work out, not totally recover and hell a pain when playing with the RD10. I strung up my long treasured new non-woofer PD MP XL and have a try but end up I leaded it up more and more to find the weight and SW near to Wilson Tour 90 if not RD 10. Still my shots were either long or shot, have to admit it takes time to adjust my form and stroke. If you are healthy, strong with good form, the RD 10 could be your lethal weapon on the court. Glad I stocked up a few since it was not seen quite often in the market for a while.

Golden Retriever
03-05-2006, 04:02 AM

Yours is 12.7 ounces!! Did you lead it up? Do you know how much does it weight originally? It is not written on the racquet.

tennisplayer
03-05-2006, 10:30 AM
For the Yonex RD 10, as with some other Yonex racquets, the weight depends on the grip size. I used a 4 1/2 grip, and I believe the 4 3/8 weighs less although I haven't used one with a 4 3/8 grip size. I actually weighed my racquet, that's how I know its weight. I didn't use any lead, it was heavy enough already! I used a Wilson grip (the Cushionaire Sponge, or something like that) which could have added a few extra grams.

Let me know if you have more questions. This is a great racquet, but it's one of those that only a die-hard can love... :-)