PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Advice for High School Freshman

fan_of_reds
03-04-2006, 06:27 PM
My brother is currently a high school freshman and is looking to pick up tennis for the first time. He's going out for the school team...but he needs a racquet.

Currently I'm using Babolat Pure Drive and a Babolat Soft Drive, and although I could let him borrow one, I don't think that'd be wise...seems like it might rip his elbow to shreds..they've been known to do that right ;-)

What would be a good racquet for a true beginner freshman? I want to recommend a racquet for him that'll be good for at least a few years...
Thanks for any help!

Steve H.
03-05-2006, 07:58 AM
I haven't tried a Soft Drive but from its specs it seems that a beginner could use it successfully. And while the Pure Drive has caused elbow problems for advanced players who swing really hard, it's still a head-light racquet. A new player isn't likely to hurt himself with either one, especially with soft strings. So I'd say, let him borrow whichever one you aren't using, maybe put a fresh set of strings on it at a medium tension, and then if he gets serious about tennis he can get something that suits his game later. Marius and others will be quick to point out that there are more arm-friendly frames out there, but learning to swing correctly and listening to your body are even more important factors in avoiding injuries.

fan_of_reds
03-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Ok...
I should have mentioned that the soft drive I'm using has enough lead tape on it that it's actually heavier than the Pure Drive... I just liked the feel of the Soft Drive more, but it was much too light for my style. I'll give that a try though

AndyP
03-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Get him a prince triple threat racquet that is oversize.

darkhorse
03-05-2006, 09:24 AM
A lot of people I know used a Prince Thundercloud as a beginner racquet with a lot of success. You can still buy them at TW for $60, so it's not real expensive. Prince also makes a Triple Threat version of it, but it's a bit pricier I think.

Marius_Hancu
03-05-2006, 11:21 AM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

tennisnj
03-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Prince TT Bandit. IMHO it's overall a better frame than the T-Cloud & gives you more power, control & spin than it. But it's not far of a drop off if you go w/the T-Cloud.

Thaimyshoe
03-05-2006, 11:44 AM
I say the Dunlop 300G HM or m-fil would make a great choice, cause its one of those racquets that are inbetween a tweener and a players' racquet. And if he gets better, just add some lead tape to 6 o'clock and voila. Thats what i did to mine.

Mr.Federer
03-05-2006, 12:34 PM
I'd also recommend the prince triple bandit OS. It's a great racket for a beginner to grow into and also for an intermediate player. It's maneuvarable, it's got some nice power and you still have some decent control. Plus right now, the prince triple threat bandit is only 60$ at Tw.

thinkhard
03-05-2006, 01:09 PM
my tennis coach has found that the three best racquets for beginning players are the TT Scream, the Beast, and the More Precision, each for different strengths. Something to consider.

thinkhard
03-05-2006, 01:12 PM
he also recommended the More COntrol DB for people who already had a history of shoulder problems outside of tennis.

tennisnj
03-05-2006, 03:29 PM
The problem w/the Scream & Beast is that they're not as easily modified to fit the needs of higher level players. You can add lead tape & tinker w/the Bandit much easier than the Scream & Beast. While they are for beginners, they're not as solid as the Bandit. The Precision isn't a very popular racquet (& that's if you can even find it) & some consider it for people w/levels a bit above beginner. The More Control DB is definately not for a beginner, & as a coach, I'd never recommend it for players w/arm troubles either. Plus the Control & Precision aren't 27.5 inches (they're 27.25), & I'm not sure if that's a concern. For many beginners, a 1/4 inch is a big difference.

AngeloDS
03-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Nothing too expensive really.

--> http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/liquidation.html <--

That's a good place to start for racquets for him. The local sports places that carries racquets will have some *alright* racquets for him to try out and use and such.

I think Dunlop makes great racquets for beginners. They're not too heavy or light, not too big or small, not too hard to control or easy to control.

Head makes rather light racquets that are big and easy to control.

Either brand is alright, but I'd lean more towards Dunlop they make great racquets.

thetenniskid07
03-05-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree with prince bandit OS or prince scream OS.

thejackal
03-05-2006, 05:07 PM
What school is your brother trying out for? I might be moving to Vermont next year and was wondering about the caliber of play at the HSs there.

fan_of_reds
03-05-2006, 06:47 PM
What school is your brother trying out for? I might be moving to Vermont next year and was wondering about the caliber of play at the HSs there.

Actually, I go to school in Vermont...my family lives in PA, so he'll be trying out for a PA school's team. Tennis, as a general rule, isn't very popular in upstate PA... I'd say that football and wrestling def. are more popular...but so are baseball, basketball, and yes, even soccer!

As a side note, I appreciate the racquet advice...I'll try and see which of the racquets I might be able to procure for him to try out first.

fan_of_reds
03-08-2006, 11:09 PM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

Very nice post, but what do you recommend for someone where demo-ing isn't an option?