PDA

View Full Version : ANYONE ever hit with the ProKennex Ionic Ki 10 PSE (How does it compare to the PD?)

Andy Zarzuela
03-04-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm a hard flat hitter currently playing with a Yonex Nanospeed RQ 7 and a Babolat PD+ , which a friend let me borrow temporarly. I've tried hitting with Midsize racquets, but I don't find the center of the strings that well. My timing and accuracy is surprisingly better with the PD+. Stereotypically, I should be playing with a racquet that has denser string pattern. I thought about giving the Head Classic MP (102) a try as well. I've hit with all the recent prestiges (98). They are all great sticks, but I can't go after my returns with these racquets as well as I can with other racquets that have a little more pop...Since my game is built on attacking, and not consistantcy; I've decided to stick with the somewhat powerful "tweener sticks". Since I'm going to be going this route, the ProKennex Ionic Ki 10 PSE seems like a better choice for me spec wise. It's got a little bit more heft, and it's a little flexier. I know I want a standard length racquet, not a stretch. And no, I refuse to play keep playing with the PD, because way too many people use them. I know that sounds closed minded, but I like having individuality...BTW, the instincts are nice as well. I cannot decide if I hit better with the Instinct or the Pure Drive. How the ProKennex Ionic Ki 10 PSE compare with both? Thanks!

Steve Huff
03-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Well, I have the 10g PSE, and it plays very well. Unfortunately, I haven't played with the Babolat or the Instinct. It's solid, easy to generate spin, great to volley with, plus, I'm sure you noticed, has a distinct paint job--black and "Kawasaki green".

El Diablo
03-05-2006, 03:37 PM
I found the PD hits a much heavier ball than the PK, and also felt more stable. PK considerably more comfortable. I tend to racquets that have a 65 flex or lower, but preferred the PD between these two.

kreative
03-05-2006, 09:59 PM
I haven't played w/ the Ki 10 PSE, but I have playtested the Ki 15 PSE. I thought it was really comfortable, and rivals the PD. A little more weight and swingweight, so slightly less manueverable. The little bit of extra length is pretty much unnoticeable when you hold it, but it gives a bit of extra leverage on the serve. The racquet handle feels a little short thou which could be a slight issue for a 2 handed backhand. You can read about my playtest here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/KREATIVE01.html

ohplease
03-05-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm a hard flat hitter currently playing with a Yonex Nanospeed RQ 7 and a Babolat PD+ , which a friend let me borrow temporarly. I've tried hitting with Midsize racquets, but I don't find the center of the strings that well. My timing and accuracy is surprisingly better with the PD+. Stereotypically, I should be playing with a racquet that has denser string pattern. I thought about giving the Head Classic MP (102) a try as well. I've hit with all the recent prestiges (98). They are all great sticks, but I can't go after my returns with these racquets as well as I can with other racquets that have a little more pop...Since my game is built on attacking, and not consistantcy; I've decided to stick with the somewhat powerful "tweener sticks". Since I'm going to be going this route, the ProKennex Ionic Ki 10 PSE seems like a better choice for me spec wise. It's got a little bit more heft, and it's a little flexier. I know I want a standard length racquet, not a stretch. And no, I refuse to play keep playing with the PD, because way too many people use them. I know that sounds closed minded, but I like having individuality...BTW, the instincts are nice as well. I cannot decide if I hit better with the Instinct or the Pure Drive. How the ProKennex Ionic Ki 10 PSE compare with both? Thanks!

Let's see, individuality in a pure drive inspired frame...

-tfight 315 has a dense pattern
-nPro has a dense pattern
-tflash 290
-o3 white/shark/shark o3 hybrid - but then will people will accuse of playing w/chick sticks
-storm team
-laver s

To answer your original question, when I looked at the pure drive segment, I liked the shark and instinct alot, the original surge just slightly less, and the Ki10 PSE trailed well behind them all. It swung strange, and felt funny. I didn't have to adjust my stroke at all with the other 3, but I found my timing to be consistently off with the Kennex.

You should try the Ki15 PSE. Super fun. Might be the best frame in the ionic line, IMHO.

netman
03-06-2006, 01:31 PM
I play the PK 5g and just recently play tested the Ki 10. Unfortunately TW has still not posted my review. Found the Ki 10 to play similiar to other 100 sq in. 11 oz frames i.e. the Pure Drive crowd. Good spin on serves and groundies, decent volley frame. Not as stable as the 5g due mainly to the lower weight. Did not find it very good at all for hitting flat shots. Needed spin to keep balls in play. The racquet in that test group that was best for flat shots was the Volkl DNX-8.

If you are a flat ball hitter and want to go PK, you should try the 5g or Ki 5. The 5g is great racquet for flat ball hitters and does well at all aspects of the game. If you want to stay around 11oz, I've done comparative playtests on a number of frames over the last 3 months and my favorite has been the NSRQ-7, probably because it played a lot like my 5g. Another option might be the new Yonex RDS 003. I'm currently play testing it and really like it a lot. Just a touch more powerful than the NSRQ-7 and is perfect for hitting hard flat shots. Great serving stick and very comfortable. A volley machine. In fact it plays like an 11 oz version of my 5g. Yonex really knows how to build head light frames that feel heavier than their static weight would indicate. I was going to buy an NSRQ-7 but may go with the RDS 003 depending on how the next couple of weeks go.

-k-

JediMindTrick
03-06-2006, 01:58 PM
I play the PK 5g and just recently play tested the Ki 10. Unfortunately TW has still not posted my review. Found the Ki 10 to play similiar to other 100 sq in. 11 oz frames i.e. the Pure Drive crowd. Good spin on serves and groundies, decent volley frame. Not as stable as the 5g due mainly to the lower weight. Did not find it very good at all for hitting flat shots. Needed spin to keep balls in play. The racquet in that test group that was best for flat shots was the Volkl DNX-8.

If you are a flat ball hitter and want to go PK, you should try the 5g or Ki 5. The 5g is great racquet for flat ball hitters and does well at all aspects of the game. If you want to stay around 11oz, I've done comparative playtests on a number of frames over the last 3 months and my favorite has been the NSRQ-7, probably because it played a lot like my 5g. Another option might be the new Yonex RDS 003. I'm currently play testing it and really like it a lot. Just a touch more powerful than the NSRQ-7 and is perfect for hitting hard flat shots. Great serving stick and very comfortable. A volley machine. In fact it plays like an 11 oz version of my 5g. Yonex really knows how to build head light frames that feel heavier than their static weight would indicate. I was going to buy an NSRQ-7 but may go with the RDS 003 depending on how the next couple of weeks go.

-k-

So how does the RDS 003, Volkl DNX 8 and Pure Drive compare power-wise on serves and groundstrokes?

netman
03-06-2006, 02:08 PM
If I had to rate them, it would be as follows:

Serves
Power - Equal
Control - RDS 003, DNX-8, PD

Groundies
Power - DNX-8, PD, RDS 003
Control - RDS 003, DNX-8, PD

Please note I do not use a lot of topspin. So frames like the PD are tougher for me to control. The DNX-8 is probably closer to the PD than the RDS003. The DNX-8 and the RDS003 are both much more comfortable than the PD. Maybe the new A-Rod PD will address the comfort issue.

-k-