PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDS 001 MP First Impressions

Tommy Haas
03-05-2006, 10:22 AM
* deleted *

brucie
03-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Is that the yellow one hewitt and nalbandian have used?

Hewitt rulez
03-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Is that the yellow one hewitt and nalbandian have used?
Hewitt is using the Mid and Nalbandian is using the MP. Hewitt is using a pj and I'd say so is nalbandian

Marius_Hancu
03-05-2006, 11:18 AM
previous TE? then your switch isn't a very wise move.
be careful.

dl125
03-05-2006, 11:26 AM
I thought the RDS was close in comparison to the MP Tour 1 as well. I liked the MP Tour but it was very heavy. That was two years ago and then I switched to Volkl. Just today I went back to Yonex with the NSRQ7. WHAT A NICE RACQUET! I'm selling my C10 next week. Yonex just has it right for my style of play and my weight. I think I won't be as tired anymore and hopefully my wrist likes it too. Even when I hit with my brothers RDX I'm like a whole lot happier swinging away.

JacobTennis69
03-05-2006, 10:36 PM
The Yonex RDS 001 MP is probably the best racquet I've ever used. It's been mentioned before but it feels crisp, has a good weight without being overly heavy, still gives a heavy ball, extremely maneuverable, and just plays and feels really damn good. It feels like it has everything balanced well.

To me it reeks of pure QUALITY, both in the way it plays and the way it's manufactured.

Tommy Haas
03-05-2006, 10:43 PM
* deleted *

armand
03-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Got to hit with my new racquet with three different players this weekend and I think I got a decent playtest. I've also played with RDX 500 mid and midplus versions.

The RDS 001 MP is a little stiffer as the RDC states; however it didn't seem a whole lot more stiffer. Maybe the first batches of sticks TW got were a bit stiffer, and that's why Yonex delayed shipment off the second batch, to correct for the stiffness. TW would need to re-sample some racquets from the second batch to verify this. I hope that they would as many of their customers want accurate specs.

I concur with all the previous postings of how the RDS 001 MP compares to the RDX 500 MP. I prefer the RDS 001 MP because of the added power and stability. It has slightly more power and slightly more stable. The differences are subtle.

I had it strung up with NRG2 17 @ 55/52lbs. During the first hour off hitting, the string felt great, comfortable, power and control. As time progresses, the comfort was still there, power increased and control decreased due to the rapid tension loss.

Since this racquet is stiffer and I've had arm problems before, but now gone since doing my wrist exercises with dumbells, I'd like to stay with a soft quality mulitfilament. But one that isn't so powerful and lose tension so fast. NRG2 17 definitely isn't it. I prefer 17g strings because of the added spin and bite.

What else would you suggest that's comfortable like NRG2 17, but not as powerful and have such rapid tension loss. I think the Yonex 850 series, are too stiff, but have never tried the 880 Ti soft version. How's the spin compared to a 17g multi?

How about Wilson Sensation 17 compared to NRG2 17? When I played with the RDX 500 MP, it had Sensation 17 strings on it and I felt like it had more control, but that could be due to the RDX 500 MP lower powered and flexier frame.

What strings and tension? 880 Ti soft? Sensation 17? X-One Biphase is too stiff for me, though I know it maintains tension well. X-One Biphase is similar feeling to Laserfibre Laser Supreme, though not quite as stiff.Wow, a weird but brilliant post! First you suck people in with your RDS001 review, but then you change direction to get string advice! Your are a slick one

Mugatu
03-06-2006, 12:51 AM
the rds is heavier than the rdx i gather so that is a plus, whilst the increased stiffness is a negative. i'd rate the greater weight as more valuable to your arm tho. my rdx 500 with more lead feels WAY better for my arm, especially on serving. played doubles this evening against a former wta player and served better than ever with the extra weight... so, if u go back to the rdx, i'd add a bit of weight to it anyway. than it would have everything. but i don't think the rds will be too arm-unfriendly if it still feels similar in flex to the rdx which IMO is quite flexy.

but u should always see how things go and adjust accordingly... good luck with it!!

BreakPoint
03-06-2006, 01:08 AM
If the RDS 001 feels and plays like the MP Tour-1, as several people here have mentioned, then I probably won't like it as I didn't like the MP Tour-1 at all and much preferred the RDX 500 Mid over it. I thought the RDX 500 was more flexible, and thus, had much better feel.

Kevo
03-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Why not just string the NRG2 higher to compensate for the initial tension loss. Either way, I found the 850s to be quite comfortable in the mid 50s. I even played with the 850 pro for a while at 50lbs and it was quite nice. That string is one of the best for play at lower tensions IMO since the strings stay in place well. I think Powergy is quite comfortable at higher tensions, but I find it much to bouncy at lower tensions, so you might not like it due to the power. Sounds like the Yonex 880 or 850 Pro would be worth a shot for you.

jamauss
03-06-2006, 09:41 AM
I should be playing with the RDS 001 Mid later this week (I hope). Looking forward to it.

Tommy Haas
03-06-2006, 09:41 AM
* deleted *

monologuist
03-06-2006, 09:57 AM
People have said that the RDS serves better than the RDX. Could you give us your thoughts on this?

As far as a string choice, why not go with a natural gut hybrid, like BDE Performance mains/Gosen OG Sheep Micro Crosses? It will be more arm friendly and give you better touch/feel than any of the strings you mentioned...will hold tension better, and will cost only a little more. I've had great success with this setup in Yonex racquets, particularly the TI-70/80's.

Does the rds feel nearly identical in swingweight and weight to the rdx?

Tommy Haas
03-06-2006, 12:41 PM
* deleted *