PDA

View Full Version : increasing grip size

thevillageidiot
03-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Do you have to take out the original grip before putting on a heat shrink sleeve? I ask because my racket has a fairway grip, and I can't find them anywhere. Any other ways of increasing grip size (aside from adding more overgrips)?

smittysan89
03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I think you could take off the fairway then put it back on

thevillageidiot
03-05-2006, 07:01 PM
wouldn't the adhesive in the back lose it's stickiness?

smittysan89
03-05-2006, 07:05 PM
wouldn't the adhesive in the back lose it's stickiness?
maybe but it should still work. Just like tournagrip. It doesnt have an adhesive back at all when you put it on. I know some who do this to build up grips on demos, and it seems to work fine.

AndyP
03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Here are some fairway grips

http://www.tennism enace.com/grips.htm but I would agree you could take it off and put it back on. Grips don't stay on because they are sticky, but because they are wrapped tightly.

This filter so you can't put competing products up is a pain

buder
03-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I think you could take off the fairway then put it back on

kingsize ditto

thevillageidiot
03-05-2006, 08:54 PM
thanks for the advice, everyone

diredesire
03-05-2006, 11:13 PM

http://www.tennism enace.com/grips.htm but I would agree you could take it off and put it back on. Grips don't stay on because they are sticky, but because they are wrapped tightly.

Good posts everyone,

But for future reference, please don't post links to competitors. TW is in the business of selling tennis gear, directing traffic away from their site (even if it is in regards to gear they don't sell) is not helping them. They need to pay for the bandwidth and licensing for the board, so please be sensitive to this fact.

thevillageidiot
03-05-2006, 11:23 PM
thanks for the great responses earlier. i had more questions and decided to post on this thread instead of starting a new one:

do heat shrink sleeves affect the balance of the racket by a lot?

is it usually not advisable to increase the grip by two full grip sizes this way?

Mugatu
03-06-2006, 01:01 AM
before u try a heat shrink sleeve, consider just using some tape. i'v heard gaffa tape works but i tried just strips of electrical tape. it really doesn't add much weight and works very well without rounding off the bevels. u just need to use strips up n down the bevels rather than wrap around the handle as you would with a grip. u don't wanna go overboard with it but it is so easy to adjust if u do it and don't like it. u can just strip back a few layers or add a few and see what feels best. and if you hate it, u can take it all off and get a heat shrink.. might save u some $$ tho and give u more ability to amke fine adjustments.

sorry none of that really addresses your questions tho...

smittysan89
03-06-2006, 11:36 AM

Man, those fairways are 30$ a pop. Thats crazy, I guess worth it to some people.

Cruzer
03-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Good posts everyone,

But for future reference, please don't post links to competitors. TW is in the business of selling tennis gear, directing traffic away from their site (even if it is in regards to gear they don't sell) is not helping them. They need to pay for the bandwidth and licensing for the board, so please be sensitive to this fact.

TW doesn't have Fairway leather grips and are not likely going to be getting any. Since the original poster is inquiring about Fairway grips specifically posting a site where they can be obtained is not taking away from TW's business

Midlife crisis
03-06-2006, 12:45 PM
thanks for the great responses earlier. i had more questions and decided to post on this thread instead of starting a new one:

do heat shrink sleeves affect the balance of the racket by a lot?

is it usually not advisable to increase the grip by two full grip sizes this way?

Yes, depending on your racquet's current weight, it will increase the head-lightness by several points, like in the 4-8 point range.

Using more than one full-size sleeve can cause the bevels to become less defined. This bothers some people a lot, some people not so much. However, it also adds a lot of weight to the handle, and that will dramatically upset the balance of the racquet unless you counterweight it on the racquet hoop, at which point the racquet may become too heavy for your liking.

thevillageidiot
03-06-2006, 01:42 PM
thanks for the clarification, Midlife crisis

i think i might try mugatu's electrical tape alternative first

diredesire
03-06-2006, 01:54 PM
TW doesn't have Fairway leather grips and are not likely going to be getting any. Since the original poster is inquiring about Fairway grips specifically posting a site where they can be obtained is not taking away from TW's business

I realize this, but if they sell other things that TW does sell, it may take away from their revenues. I alluded to this in my original post. I'm just reminding everyone that it IS against the rules to post competitor links.

Midlife crisis
03-06-2006, 10:15 PM
thanks for the clarification, Midlife crisis

i think i might try mugatu's electrical tape alternative first

I'd be the electrical tape is equally as heavy as a shrink wrap sleeve. Pick up a roll of electrical tape and it weighs quite a bit, probably two or three ounces. You'll probably need a majority of that to make any difference in grip size.

thevillageidiot
03-13-2006, 02:23 PM
i've successfully installed two heat shrinks to increase my grip by two full sizes. the balance is now very headlight. looks like it's time for some lead! hopefully it won't end up being to heavy...