PDA

View Full Version : is the head pestige classic mid worth using in today's game?

basil J
03-06-2006, 12:31 PM
I saw a website today that has head prestige classics available in 93" and 102" head sizes. I have seen alot of talk on this board about this frame. My question is: is the prestige classic a frame that lends it self to the modern game of baseline play and topspin? Or Is all the chatter about this stick nostalgic? Also anyone who has actually used this frame: is it a arm friendly, user friendly frame, or is it another demanding old school frame? I have been told that it plays similar to the 200GMW. If that is the case, I will love this frame and give it a shot. Please , someone give me an honest evaluation? I am getting tired of the new technology that doesn't play any better than the old.......:

TheRed
03-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I use the 102 and would say it fits today's game. Others will say the 93 does also so like most of the advice on this board, I'd say you have to give it a try. At the very least, it's not anymore difficult to play than the MW 200g. However, neither sizes play like the 200g. they both play more crisp w/ better feedback IMO. I thought the 200g was too mushy, although I always played well with it.

BreakPoint
03-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I played with the Prestige Classic Mid 93 a few years ago and it definitely has that "old-school" traditonal feel to it. Nice heft and very comfortable. Great for serving. The small head (really under 90) and it's oval shape along with its dense 18x20 pattern made it more of a challege to generate massive topspin on groundies IMO. I used it for several months but ultimately decided to move on to something that worked better for me.

Funny thing is, a few years later, after I had been playing with the PS 6.0 95 for over a year, I picked up another Prestige Classic for a demo and for some reason I could not play worth a darn with it. It felt so different from the PS 6.0 95 that I just couldn't play with it at all, even though I played fine with it a few years prior. Weird. :confused:

Hartzy
03-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Each prestige line that is released isn't really much of an improvement upon the earlier ones. They are more like variations. In fact, the liquidmetal prestige took a lot of guff because it has a very metalic feedback that makes it feel like a toy on some shots. All of the prestiges play alike but some are softer and some are crisper. I myself use the MP i. prestige and I love it because it's crisp yet I still feel the frame's flex. But I would kill to get my hands on a mid prestige classic when they come to TW but my monetary situation isn't going to allow that:(

basil J
03-06-2006, 03:37 PM
good feedback guys thanks. the canadian website does not have a demo program and @ $129.00 US, I'm almost tempted to buy it just so I can give it a good try. I understand they can be quite rare. I know I would be able to sell it fairly easily if I don't like it.I have never used a frame under 95" so I don't know if I will have any problems ,but I never had any issues with a 95" so I doubt it will be an issue. I guess that my real curiousity comes from the fact that it is still such a heavily utilized frame on the tour, where the players can basically use anything they want, a lot them still use a frame that's over 10 years old. ( Under paint jobs). Says something for it's playability and quality I guess.

BreakPoint
03-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I think TW will be selling them for the same price when they get them in next month. And, of course, TW does have a demo program.

Also, as many others have mentioned, the Prestge Mid 93 is actually about an 89 when measured.

johnathan smith
03-06-2006, 03:47 PM
I just ordered 5 of them from that site earlier this morning. I always want to give TW my business and Lord knows I have spent tons of money here (and will continue to), but I just couldn't wait. If you are not sure if you will like it or not, just wait for TW to get them, because they will have a demo program and will be the same price as the Canadian store. I have along history with the 600 and am looking forward to playing them again.

AndrewD
03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
basil J,

If you recall, I've been playing the old Prestige Pro for quite a while (plus logging some time with the LM Prestige) so I'll try to be as honest as you've asked for. I personally believer it's the best mid-size frame available bar none so, at the least, definately worth experiencing. However, the difference between the Prestige and my current t10mpVE is, in terms of the 'modern game', substantial.

That isn't to say one is better than the other HOWEVER, one does lend itself more readily to a modern style of game (as played by your average club player) and the other doesn't.

If your sole aim is to play a modern style of game - which means generating a lot of racquet head speed, a lot of topspin and a lot of power- then no, it isn't the best thing for the average club player to use. Yes, the pros can use it but they can generate racquet head speed and spin with a lump of 4x2. In that regard -heavy spin - it is demanding unless you're able to generate the requisite racquet head speed.

If, however, you'd just like to play some good tennis and are happy to utilise a more 'old school' kind of style then the Prestige is a great frame and can provide excellent results.

La Bomba
03-06-2006, 10:51 PM
When my coach was playing tennis in France 5 years ago on the atp tour. He said nearly all of the French players were using Prestige Classic 600's on clay. So they must be pretty good

La Bomba
03-06-2006, 10:52 PM
When my coach was playing tennis in France 5 years ago on the atp tour. He said nearly all of the French players were using Prestige Classic 600's on clay. So the prestige classics must be good.

basil J
03-07-2006, 03:10 AM
Again, thanks for the feedback. I guess since I have moved away from my old 200GMW's, I have experienced some nice frames, but still am looking for the blend of a solid, yet arm friendly frame that will be versatile enough to stick with. As I have stated in many other posts, I switched over to an 03 tour about 8 months ago and find myself now back to an older players frame(HPS6.1). Though more demanding, I seem to gravitate to good solid old school frames, for whatever reason and I would be foolish not at least take the prestige out for a testdrive. I do see quite a few pros ripping spin and pace with these frames so in the right hands, They seem to be the frame of choice and quite capable. I just don't know if I am good enough of a player to use it as a main racquet.