PDA

View Full Version : So, How long Does your Rackets Last

legolas
03-06-2006, 02:52 PM
inlast year, i had 7 ncode tour 90s, i still have 3, i use 2, and the 4 i broke only lasted like 4 months, its a big deal to me since im not really that rich

TLM_01
03-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Wow. So you're saying that you broke 4 nCodes over the course of a year? Whats the deal? Do you have a really heavy forehan? My 2 PD stds. have lasted about 2 and a half years.

legolas
03-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Wow. So you're saying that you broke 4 nCodes over the course of a year? Whats the deal? Do you have a really heavy forehan? My 2 PD stds. have lasted about 2 and a half years.
nope, but most of the time, just careless

300Gkid
03-06-2006, 05:06 PM
well i've had my 300G for 3 years and it just broke

jackson vile
03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
So what miss hits?

AngeloDS
03-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I've never broken a racquet. Although, they do get beat up heh.

lucky leprechaun
03-06-2006, 05:25 PM
I've got a prince graphite that I no longer play with but had for a long time. I hit with a new one recently as compared to that one and boy could I feel the stiffness difference. I've probably broken down every graphite fiber in that thing short of breaking the thing. It's like an oversize with a softer feel than even the fischer vacuum pros. I can see why I stuck with that thing for so long. It felt ssssoooooooo good. The lack of power finally drove me nuts and I found another racquet.

legolas
03-06-2006, 05:33 PM
So what miss hits?
i seem to be so aggressive to low balls, i slice, the racket hits the ground so hard, chips come off, sometimes, i want to change to the apd, i played with it, very durable

doriancito
03-06-2006, 06:04 PM
they last me 2 years! i mean the racquet never loses render, only if you brake them!

tennis_nerd22
03-06-2006, 06:09 PM
as long as i want 8) (which is until i switch, lol)

Cruzer
03-06-2006, 06:11 PM
inlast year, i had 7 ncode tour 90s, i still have 3, i use 2, and the 4 i broke only lasted like 4 months, its a big deal to me since im not really that rich

How do you break 4 racquets in a year short of flat out abuse?

Bora
03-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Realistically, about 2 years. I think the constant restringing and the hard hitting gets to them after a while. I usually change grommets every 9-12 months.

goober
03-06-2006, 06:22 PM
It seems people go through racquets pretty fast these days- or at least faster than they use to say 10-20 years ago. Since racquets models are discontinued so fast, do most of you get a whole new model of racquet every 2-3 years or sooner?

snoflewis
03-06-2006, 07:31 PM
i've personally broken 3 in one year only out of anger- something im not too proud of. there have been several posts of n6.1 tours cracking out of no where...it's probably the combination of its stiffness and thin beam width.

legolas, did you get your replacements for them? or did you buy all 7?

highsierra
03-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Four most common ways to break a racket:

1. Bad eye hand coordination so you hit the ground a lot. Next time maybe your arm'll break off.

2. Bad temper and think your losing the point is the racket's fault.

3. Bad asses. Your friend sits his fat *** on your gear bag in the back seat of your car.

4. Bad stringer. Well, must be really really bad and careless at stringing for this to happen.

andyroddick's mojo
03-06-2006, 08:05 PM
I thought ncodes were practically unbreakable, due to the ncodedness, haha, but i don't know. I heard that rackets also tend to lose their flex or something after a lot of playing, so best to buy a new racket every 2 years. So far I've been going every 1 year because I've been switching. Currently on an n6.1 95 16x18.

VGP
03-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I was stringing my own PS 85s that I got in '93. Changed grommets and bumper guards when they got worn. The rackets are still fine even though I switched to Dunlop HM 200gs last year. I still hit with the PS 85s from time to time.

If you slice that hard against the ground, you don't time it right and you're just busting your frames for no good reason. Also, legolas, didn't you get one of your Ncodes broken by your stringer a while back?

Deuce
03-06-2006, 09:17 PM
inlast year, i had 7 ncode tour 90s, i still have 3, i use 2, and the 4 i broke only lasted like 4 months, its a big deal to me since im not really that rich...
nope, but most of the time, just careless
You may not be that rich, but look on the bright side...

...You DO have more money than brains.

snoflewis
03-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Also, legolas, didn't you get one of your Ncodes broken by your stringer a while back?

it was replaced because the stringer smashed it...what an buttfluffer

JacktheDu
03-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm using a ncode 6.1 tour 90 right now. The frame itself seems pretty strong. I'm curious to hear what exactly did you do to yours to break them. Did you hit the ground often in order to safe low balls? Some tips about preservation of the racquet would be great :)

joe1987
03-08-2006, 02:48 AM
Thats plain dumb hitting the racket on the floor. I can't believe your hand-eye coordination is that bad to hit the floor and not the ball no matter how aggressive you are. But if thats the case you should not be using the midsize racket to play.

brownbearfalling
03-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Send them back, it's worth the try they might replace them for you. I broke my old 300G's a while back and had them for well over a year and they replaced them for me.
________
Ferrari 360 History (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_360)

EclipseRydr97
03-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Going on 6 years with my Pro Staff 6.1 classics :mrgreen:
Still very solid sticks

PM_
03-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Thats plain dumb hitting the racket on the floor. I can't believe your hand-eye coordination is that bad to hit the floor and not the ball no matter how aggressive you are. But if thats the case you should not be using the midsize racket to play.
Obviously you don't charge the net often to experience a good share of half volleys. I had a big chunk fly off my X1 at 9 today going after a low shot.

AndrewD
03-09-2006, 03:08 AM
With the way they build racquets today, I'd say 2 years of constant use would be about it for me. If you serve-volley consistantly -which I do- you're going to, at some time, make contact with the court surface when hitting a low volley. Usually that just means a scrape to the side of the frame (the area of my racquet that shows wear) However, it can mean chipping or cracking it, something easier to do on dirt courts where lines are nailed into place.

jayserinos99
03-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Going on 6 years with my Pro Staff 6.1 classics :mrgreen:
Still very solid sticks

yes they are. the one i've kept around (white buttcap, bold lettering) is still lively and not dead playing.

Ripper
03-09-2006, 07:48 AM
I think the constant restringing and the hard hitting gets to them after a while. I usually change grommets every 9-12 months.

I still don't understand how restringing affects the fibers. Normal hitting, yes; restringing, no. I don't get it. I've seen raquets being restrung and I don't see what you mean :confused:

brucie
03-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Some low slices have you hit your racket on the floor anyway n codes break easy i have the team and broke 1 in a mth it had never touched the ground then one day playing on artificial grass i caught the ground and it snapped above the handle and my spare was theatning to do the same so Wilson sent me two new ones and they two seem to be splitting although they are much more battered and now over a year old.

goober
03-09-2006, 08:12 AM
I still don't understand how restringing affects the fibers. Normal hitting, yes; restringing, no. I don't get it. I've seen raquets being restrung and I don't see what you mean :confused:

Well the amount of stress put on the frame is extremely high during restringing. That is why if a racquet is not mounted properly it will crack during a string job.

Ripper
03-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Well the amount of stress put on the frame is extremely high during restringing. That is why if a racquet is not mounted properly it will crack during a string job.

Still don't see it, goober. I'm not saying you're wrong; just that I don't see how that wears down the structural integrity of the frame. Maybe I'm just dumb :eek:

EclipseRydr97
03-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Wait, if the racket is not mounted properly, that could crack the racket? I had no idea, maybe that's why one of my classics feels odd, but I don't see any crack, would it be an internal crack or something we could notice?

kdiao
03-09-2006, 12:13 PM
This is my first post.

Fortunately, my racquets have been really durable. I still have and till recently played with my Pro Staff original that I got since sophmore year of high school (that was back in '93). I was playing with my Pro Staff Classic that I got in 2000. Just yesterday, my order of two Dunlop M-Fil 200 came in. I can't wait to use those racquets.

Don't get me wrong both racquets, particularly the PS Original, have a fair share of wear and tear.

peter
03-09-2006, 12:19 PM
I've never broken a racquet. Although, they do get beat up heh.

I've broken three el-cheapo wood rackets (in the early 80ies) and one aluminium one. But since I started playing with graphite rackets (Wilson Avenger 1983) I've never broken a racket. But then I don't throw them around either. I played with the Avenger for many years until I bought a pair of 6.0-85's some five years ago (which I still play with).

jasonbourne
03-09-2006, 03:30 PM
This is my first post.

Fortunately, my racquets have been really durable. I still have and till recently played with my Pro Staff original that I got since sophmore year of high school (that was back in '93). I was playing with my Pro Staff Classic that I got in 2000. Just yesterday, my order of two Dunlop M-Fil 200 came in. I can't wait to use those racquets.

Don't get me wrong both racquets, particularly the PS Original, have a fair share of wear and tear.

kdiao,

Since, you started with PS orig and PSC and are probably used to its feel and grip shape, I would have expected you to buy a n6.1 next.

Placing price aside, why did you move out of the Wilson line for the M-Fill 200?