PDA

View Full Version : Benefit of a Cross Bar Stabilizer?

Jalapeno2006
03-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Is there any actual benefit of a cross bar stabilizer. Does it actually "reduce twisting and provide a more solid feel" as prince would like us to think. I ask because I have never hit with one and am trying to decide whether to demo the FP radical tour (non stabilizer) or the NXG MP (stabilizer). And yes... the other three demo spots are filled.

Court_Jester
03-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Does it actually "reduce twisting and provide a more solid feel" as prince would like us to think.
It's not just Prince. Head and Volkl say the same thing, to name a couple. I've never used a racquet with one of those so I don't have any opinion of it.

anirut
03-07-2006, 01:33 AM
I'm not sure about whether it really helps with the twisting part, but it helps. I don't have the Prince but I have the Sting SC (85 sqin. head). The cross bar seems to make the racket more solid to hit with.

Mugatu
03-07-2006, 01:56 AM
i don't think it is neccessary, even if it does slightly counteract twisting... racquets without seem to work AOK

BreakPoint
03-07-2006, 02:30 AM
Is there any actual benefit of a cross bar stabilizer. Does it actually "reduce twisting and provide a more solid feel" as prince would like us to think.

IMO, absolutely YES!!! I think the stabilizer bars definitely do prevent the racquet from excessive twisting and helps to make the racquet more stable. I think this is one of the reasons why the POG is still so popular almost 30 years after it came out.

Another example, 6 years ago I demoed the Head Ti.Radical MP and liked the racquet except that I thought that it felt a bit unstable, a bit flimsy, and twisted too much. Then I demoed the Head Ti.Fire Tour Edition, essentially the same racquet as the Ti.Radical except that it had the addition of a cross-bar stabilizer which Head called their "Anti-Torsion Bar". What a difference it made!! The same great playability as the Ti.Radical but much more stable, less twisting, and more solid feeling. I ended up getting two of the Ti.Fire Tours and used them for two years. :D

rocket
03-07-2006, 06:28 AM
IMO, absolutely YES!!! I think the stabilizer bars definitely do prevent the racquet from excessive twisting and helps to make the racquet more stable. I think this is one of the reasons why the POG is still so popular almost 30 years after it came out.

Second that! The POG is solid as a rock on hits & mishits. For example, when I was executing my high backhand volley, I hit the ball near the upper-side hoop, and instead of the racquet twisting a fraction, the frame didn't budge & the ball flew off to where it was supposed to go.

The bar can be an eyesore for some, but it's there for a very good reason. :cool:

DANMAN
03-07-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm a big fan of the bar...on both the Changs and the POGs.

rich s
03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Unless you have hit with two racquets that are EXACTLY IDENTICAL in EVERY respect/aspect except for one having a cross bar and one not having a cross bar you have no grounds or basis to make ANY comparison or claim any benefit.

Take a POG (or any other frame with a cross bar) and play with it, then cut the crossbar out and state your comparisons....until then you can't make any statements of benefit or detriment or comparison.

I don't mean to sound like a horse's @$$ ...just stating the facts

Jalapeno2006
03-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Rich s... you are absolutely correct. I was just a little curious as to people's first hand experience. Thanks for the imput guys.