PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some problems with the 6.0 85

vkartikv
03-06-2006, 04:15 PM
I have been raving about this for the last two months, I knew something had to go wrong and yes, it did today. Marius, save yourself sometime, you need not post here, it is the same old elbow problem creeping up, as you have warned as all..

I have never had it with any racquet (prestige or super rd tour 90) but I did today. I went out to play straight from work and I do not know whether it was lack of warm up time or what it was but after serving just 2 games with it, my elbow was beginning to stiffen up. And it was a soft multi, the gosen micro that I was using.

Ever wake up from a dream and realise its over and you just cannot go back to it? Well that's how I felt, except that my loyal friend the super rd tour 90 was at hand. It's not the best serving racquet but my favourite on groundstrokes. I had to adjust from s&v to playing more from the back of the court and came through. But I am still quite disappointed with my not being able to wield the 6.0. I have played cricket for over 20 yrs (being the equivalent of a pitcher in baseball) but I have never had shoulder or arm trouble. Is this the beginning of the end? Or do I just start over with my faithful friend, the srd tour 90?

BreakPoint
03-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your arm problem. What tension is your Ps 6.0 85 strung at? BTW, Gosen Micro is not a multi, it's a monofilament syn gut.

Perhaps it may just be from not warming up and going right from the cold and playing right away. You may want to give it a few days of rest and then see what happens. Also, try icing your elbow.

vkartikv
03-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your arm problem. What tension is your Ps 6.0 85 strung at? BTW, Gosen Micro is not a multi, it's a monofilament syn gut.

Perhaps it may just be from not warming up and going right from the cold and playing right away. You may want to give it a few days of rest and then see what happens. Also, try icing your elbow.

Sorry, I didnt mention the nxt on the mains. Was strung at 62 lbs. I am thinking about giving it more time and playing with it once more, perhaps in the weekends when there is more time on my hands and seeing the results then. But the srd tour 90 is like a dog wagging its tail looking up at you waiting to be petted....

legolas
03-06-2006, 05:13 PM
the ps 85 gave me arm and shoulder problems, thats y i use the n90

vkartikv
03-06-2006, 06:08 PM
the ps 85 gave me arm and shoulder problems, thats y i use the n90

Quite frankly its no better. The stiffness rating is much higher.

legolas
03-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Quite frankly its no better. The stiffness rating is much higher.
well, the pain went away ;)

VGP
03-06-2006, 09:08 PM
well, the pain went away ;)

that's what you tell yourself in order to feel that much closer to Federer.

louis netman
03-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Don't know how old you are Kartik, but age does wierd things. The other day I got off the court feeling like a million bucks....went to bed feeling that way. Then the morning came and it was like Black Monday....my million bucks turned in to about five bucks...It rained today and it was cold. My arm hurts when I look at a tennis racket...I need a drink...

Put down that stiff, old PS...I think you'll fall in love with the T10 Gen I mid that's coming your way. I thought it was unstrung, but I just dug it out and it's got a brand new Pacific Gut 17g hybrid on it...this frame is sweeeet!

La Bomba
03-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey, get your PS 6.0 strung a bit lower, like 55lbs, it might feel more comfortable as the stringbed wont be as stiff and will be more flexy.

diredesire
03-07-2006, 12:15 AM
I'd also suggest stringing a little looser, the string length on that frame is pretty short.

The situation i tell my clients is that:

A 2 inch string tensioned to 60 lbs will be stiffer than a 2 foot string tensioned to 60 lbs.

Thus, the same thing applies to racquets, since the headsize is smaller the string length (typically) is shorter, thus, the stringbed is stiffer per given unit of tension.

I experimented a little bit with my 6.0 85 and found a 55 lb string job (syn gut, as i was experiementing and didn't want to spend too much money) was equivalent (sort of..) to a 65 lb string job on a 95-100 si frame.

If you really love the frame you can give it some time and experiment with it, i really doubt you'll lose too much control...

Vamz
03-07-2006, 12:41 AM
The nCode Tour 90 is my first racquet in 8 years that doesn't give me a lot of arm pain.

AngeloDS
03-07-2006, 01:03 AM
I experimented a little bit with my 6.0 85 and found a 55 lb string job (syn gut, as i was experiementing and didn't want to spend too much money) was equivalent (sort of..) to a 65 lb string job on a 95-100 si frame.
Dang, I'm planning to get Wilson nCode nTour 90s and string them down about 50 - 52 lbs hopefully to achieve "softness" but it doesn't seem like it will. So I'll probably have to string about 44-46 lbs?

Will that be extremely bad for the racquet?

I had this planned ->
- Luxilon ALU Power Rough 16L @ 51 lbs (or 50 lbs)
- Wilson Natural Gut 16 @ 53 lbs (or 52 lbs)

Abztract
03-07-2006, 01:15 AM
Dang, I'm planning to get Wilson nCode nTour 90s and string them down about 50 - 52 lbs hopefully to achieve "softness" but it doesn't seem like it will. So I'll probably have to string about 44-46 lbs?

I had this planned ->

50-52 lbs is rather low. i string mine at 55 lbs and still feel it's on the soft side. stringing too low will not have any effect on the racket except affect your playability.

Marius_Hancu
03-07-2006, 04:11 AM
for me, at least a minimum of 12g of lead (at 3 and 9) is necessary to play with no pain with 6.0 85 (and I am using the same on PS Tour 90)

but I am using pretty high tensions (68lbs, NXT Tour 17)

others should be different, of course

good advice to reduce the tension

vkartikv
03-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestions but I used to do 56 lbs when I first got these racquets. I moved up 2 lbs every time I got the racquets strung and finally settled with 61-62 lbs.

I think its a compromise - I have to string lower but get to keep my 6.0s or string at my optimum tension but resort to the srd 90s, which are, BTW, not too far from the 6.0 in terms of playability. The volkl tour ten mid might be an interesting test too..

diredesire
03-07-2006, 09:03 AM

I had this planned ->

Naw, i was just making a suggestion, Relative stiffness of a string bed is an important consideration to make, IMO.

There's also many many variables to consider, i.e. stiffness rating of the frame and how stiff the frame actually plays (some racquets have flexible throats and very stiff hoops, etc), weight distribution, etc.

I typically just start manufacturer recommended mid-range +2 lbs (because i typically string around there) and then experiment. I've been actually moving down the tension range lately, which is maybe why i have that "low tension" bias ;)

Dennis Chan
03-07-2006, 09:10 AM
I have been raving about this for the last two months, I knew something had to go wrong and yes, it did today. Marius, save yourself sometime, you need not post here, it is the same old elbow problem creeping up, as you have warned as all..

I have never had it with any racquet (prestige or super rd tour 90) but I did today. I went out to play straight from work and I do not know whether it was lack of warm up time or what it was but after serving just 2 games with it, my elbow was beginning to stiffen up. And it was a soft multi, the gosen micro that I was using.

vkartikv, were you using the Taiwan version? Maybe it's the combined stiffness and weight of the version that is causing the TE. I used the Taiwan version for a while and had my worst TE for a few months. Then I switched back to the China model and am pain free now.

vkartikv
03-07-2006, 09:44 AM
vkartikv, were you using the Taiwan version? Maybe it's the combined stiffness and weight of the version that is causing the TE. I used the Taiwan version for a while and had my worst TE for a few months. Then I switched back to the China model and am pain free now.

Yes, it was the Taiwan versions, I am in the process of giving away my china ones, may be I should hold onto one...

Dennis Chan
03-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Yes, it was the Taiwan versions, I am in the process of giving away my china ones, may be I should hold onto one...

"Giving away"!? I can send you my address. :eek:

Dennis Chan
03-07-2006, 09:53 AM

Oh seriously. Have you weighted the different versions? Are the Taiwan ones heavier? Thanks.

Galactus
03-07-2006, 10:04 AM
I have been raving about this for the last two months, I knew something had to go wrong and yes, it did today. Marius, save yourself sometime, you need not post here, it is the same old elbow problem creeping up, as you have warned as all...

Ever wake up from a dream and realise its over and you just cannot go back to it? Well that's how I felt, except that my loyal friend the super rd tour 90 was at hand. It's not the best serving racquet but my favourite on groundstrokes. I had to adjust from s&v to playing more from the back of the court and came through. But I am still quite disappointed with my not being able to wield the 6.0. I have played cricket for over 20 yrs (being the equivalent of a pitcher in baseball) but I have never had shoulder or arm trouble. Is this the beginning of the end? Or do I just start over with my faithful friend, the srd tour 90?
vkartikv - that's bad news.
But this happened to me last summer when I was using the Prostaff Tour90: for about 4 weeks straight, around an hour into each game I played, I got a painful ache on the inside of my elbow. However, I had a few coaching lessons, just made slight adjustments to my serve (which I believe was the cause of the pain), and it started to feel less and less painful the more I played.
Anyway, come August 05 I bought a Prostaff Original 6.0 85 and initially i was a bit concerned with regards to all stories of the 'demanding' nature of it and the small 'unforgiving sweetspot' that might cause arm-injuries.
Anyway, 7 months on and my elbow problems haven't cleared up....I still get some stiffness (usually morning after a 2-hour match), but I'm putting that down to age more than anything.

I played with it last night and it felt fine: my 1st serves were about 50-60% in, baseline forehand I couldnt miss with. Mind you, it does feel better now I have my string tension at 63lb and lead-tape added making the racquet 393g (I tell you, it makes a massive difference)

vkartikv
03-07-2006, 10:41 AM
well its not entirely bad news, I still do have a good replacement in the srd 90 but it will take some getting used to. I want to play atleast another 20 yrs (I'm in my mid 20s now) and don't want to be one of those guys who says he had to stop playing because of surgery... I will give it another shot by stringing it around 55 lbs but I'm not too optimistic...

Dennis Chan and others: I am willing to part with one taiwan and one china model, both 41/2 and atleast 8/10 condition. I need to move them so I can make up for other expenses.

BTW, the donnay pro cynetic 1 mid and JK staff are both 85 sq.in. racquets that are quite flexible and heavy enough and might be worth a try.

thevillageidiot
03-07-2006, 11:34 AM
to vkartikv:

how much are you looking to get for the taiwan model?

vkartikv
03-07-2006, 11:37 AM
to vkartikv:

how much are you looking to get for the taiwan model?

I just posted those 2 racquets and some others in the classifieds, they will show up by this evening (I hope). I am asking $90 plus shipping, it may seem like a lot but I know from personal experience that it is hard to procure Taiwan versions.

AngeloDS
03-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Sampras had to be extremely fit to play as long as he did, and how he did to not get serious tennis elbow or serious shoulder problems.

Stringing gut at 70+ lbs sounds pretty painful, as well as the strokes he took (hitting late, and just really poor technique/mechanics, and a lot of muscling the ball back).

Ahh, I think I'll be strining 50 / 52 then when I get new gear.

BreakPoint
03-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Sampras had to be extremely fit to play as long as he did, and how he did to not get serious tennis elbow or serious shoulder problems.

Stringing gut at 70+ lbs sounds pretty painful, as well as the strokes he took (hitting late, and just really poor technique/mechanics, and a lot of muscling the ball back).

Huh? I only wish MY technique was so bad that I'd win 14 Grand Slams, earn over $50 million playing tennis, and be regarded as the Greatest Tennis Player of All Time. :D

Galactus
03-08-2006, 01:32 PM

Sampras has serious arm-problems - check this interview following the ATP Masters Final, Cincinnatti from 1999:

Q: "Have you ever had a sore arm?"
PETE SAMPRAS: "Constantly. When you play week after week and as tight as I string my rackets, depending on the conditions, if they are cold or playing indoors, my arm can be dead. I've had arm trouble on and off my whole career."

Galactus
03-08-2006, 01:41 PM
How often do people play tennis here?
I play 2-3 times a week for up to 2-hours a time and I find that I constantly get caught up in slugging baseline games - and I'm using a 382g Prostaff 6.0 85 strung at 60lb, however, now I've changed my serving technique to inorporate more of my legs and torso into my action, I don't anywhere near the lbow soreness or ache during the match than when i did last summer.
These days, it tends to crop up the next morning and for a day or so after, but it's hardly what I'd call irritable, let alone crippling. I'm just aware from time to time that it's a bit stiff/sore.

vkartikv, I'm just wondering whether some bicep/shoulder excersises using weights might help?? :confused:

Johnny P
03-19-2006, 04:16 PM
String it lower, 55 or 56 . let the raquet do the work not your arm.

bee
03-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Do your arm a favor and switch to one of the Prestige line mids with natural gut. Wilson racquets have always seemed somewhat dead and clunky in comparison to the Head Classics and LM Prestige Mids I've recently played with. The Wilson's just seem harder on the arm if you play year after year, or, hopefully, decade after decade.

My preferred setup now, which is very easy on the arm, is: Head Prestige LM Mid, strung with Klip Legend natural gut at 56# and with Babolat string savers. Very nice!

vkartikv
03-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Do your arm a favor and switch to one of the Prestige line mids with natural gut. Wilson racquets have always seemed somewhat dead and clunky in comparison to the Head Classics and LM Prestige Mids I've recently played with. The Wilson's just seem harder on the arm if you play year after year, or, hopefully, decade after decade.

My preferred setup now, which is very easy on the arm, is: Head Prestige LM Mid, strung with Klip Legend natural gut at 56# and with Babolat string savers. Very nice!

Thanks for the suggestion but it was one of the first mids I tried, its swingweight was a little too hot to handle at the net - in terms of maneuvarability.

jasonbourne
03-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I read many folks on our forum complaining of arm/shoulder problem with the PS 6.1.

Which is worse for the arm, PS 6.0 85 or PS Classic 6.1 96?

BreakPoint
03-20-2006, 09:24 PM
I read many folks on our forum complaining of arm/shoulder problem with the PS 6.1.

I vote for the PS 6.1 Classic. I find that racquet to be too stiff for me. However, I think the right person to ask about this is Marius.

jasonbourne
03-20-2006, 09:46 PM

Typo above. I meant PS 6.1 Classic 95. :)

skraggle
03-31-2006, 12:04 PM
The 6.1 classic is hard on both the wrist and arm. Which sucks, as it's one the best frames I've ever used. To this day, I keep five of them, hoping that if i work out enough, I can get back to using them...

vkartikv
03-31-2006, 01:08 PM
The 6.1 classic is hard on both the wrist and arm. Which sucks, as it's one the best frames I've ever used. To this day, I keep five of them, hoping that if i work out enough, I can get back to using them...

The best racquets I have played with are wilsons but it's a pity they are all a little too stiff for me. You should try the PK Core 1 # 6. Its also a 95 sq.in. racquet but the wooden core makes it feel so much softer and flexier. The beam width is also much thinner for better slices.