PDA

View Full Version : makes the weather any difference?

Sandman
06-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Hi,
I'm playing a Head LM Radical midsize. String: Head Rip Control, Gauge 17 with 59 lb.
I was quite content with this setting.
The last time I had it strung was in January. Now in mid June and a much warmer air, it feels like the raquet generates to much power.
So my question is: does the warmer weather extend the string that much, that someone could notice the difference?
Thanks for any opinions.

Sandman

Jerry Seinfeld
06-17-2004, 05:57 AM
In my opinion the weather does make a difference. I string my own sticks 2-3 pounds tighter in the summer than in the winter. This formula works well for my Yonex sticks. The balls move faster in the summer and the extra pounds help tame the string deflection a bit which leads to the extra control I need.

Gaines Hillix
06-17-2004, 07:54 AM
Agree with Jerry. Here in Georgia it can be in the 30's or 40'sF in the winter and when a frame is strung at the same tension as in the summer time when it's in the 80's or 90'sF, there's a very noticeable difference.

NoBadMojo
06-17-2004, 08:18 AM
i think it depends on the string. softer strings <to me> seem more influenced by weather. i agree the balls fly faster in the heat provided it isnt humid...in humid conditions strings can actually sometimes feel on the dead side <to me>, so i keep my frames at pretty much the same tension all year round. if it is hot but not humid and the balls are flying, i just try and spin the ball a little more for control, etc. ed

spress
06-18-2004, 03:55 PM
are u sure that your string havent just loosened up since january? it might help if u just have it restrung

K!ck5w3rvE
06-21-2004, 04:50 AM
I'm with NoBadMojo and Jerry Seinfeld. Jerry is right because somestrings play very differently from a 12 o'clock match in summer to an 8.30pm training session in the middle of winter. However, I agree with NoBadMojo too because I play with Alu and after a few hits to warm up, it plays the same, with no change in tension or other changes.