PDA

View Full Version : comments on my ordered racquet please.

mrcapslock
03-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I just recently made my school JV team and i'm hoping to transition to school varsity team pretty soon. I'm fairly new to tennis and as of now i don't have a consistent serve but I am fairly decent at forehand and shaky on backhand.

I was wondering if this racquet I ordered is beginner friendly and also good when I transition to a higher level of play.

Make any comments to this racquet as well as changes you would recommend and strength and weakness of this racquet.

Head Liquidmetal Radical Oversize (grip size is 4 1/2)
String: Head Intellistring Silver String
Tension: 59

This is the first serious racquet I've purchase, so any comments would be appreciated.

Aeropro joe
03-06-2006, 09:28 PM
sounds like a good choice to me. i use the midplus version and its suits me very well. ur oversize frame will make finding the sweetspot a little easier and is more forgiving, which is a plus for beginner/ intermediate players. the radical is a very comfy frame, and others on the board here have accused this racket of having a hollow, tinny sound, but i dont find that present at all. actually a very solid racket. my favorite shot is return of serves which i can pound deep and move in to the net. serves are not as "hot" as a pure drive, but there is excellent control, which helps get more aces than cranking up the mph, just take a look at federer who does not hit the hardest, but has a lethal weapon by disguising it and he has so much control. roddick on the other hand may have the mph, but pople on tour have begun to groove his serve and recognize it. good luck and best wishes in ur pursuit of varsity.

mrcapslock
03-06-2006, 09:31 PM
nice comments :)

what about the tension and string choice? the tension I picked is kind of random and the string choice is not too much of an informative decision.

i hope i made the right choices on those also :)

Aeropro joe
03-06-2006, 09:39 PM
well that depends on ur playing style really, naturally ur oversize frame will be more powerful than mine, but if you hit flat, moderate spin, or heavy spin will determine what tension you feel comfortable stringing at. i generally use the guideline when i am getting a new racket of midrange + 2 lbs. so the radical having a rec. tension range of 52-62lbs would put midrange at 57lbs and two more lbs. would be 59 so i think it is a good place to start. i am not too familar with your string chioce but after you hit with it you can decide what you do or dont like about the string and go back to the drawing boards.

AndyP
03-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Basically each racquet has different string tensions. If you go below the middle reccomended tension you get more power, above and you get more control.

mrcapslock
03-06-2006, 09:44 PM
nvm question just answered by andy :)

So is this racquet a more control oriented racquet or power or a bit of both

Aeropro joe
03-06-2006, 09:52 PM
i would say the midplus is more control oriented but with the oversize there is a boost in power but still with good control

mrcapslock
03-06-2006, 10:21 PM
well i just know its going to be a great upgrade from my old racquet. I use to use a prokennex reach precept110 :) Costed me like 25$ at big 5. Can't wait to see how this new racquet will help me improve.

Aeropro joe
03-06-2006, 10:25 PM
aye i still get giddy as a schoolgirl when i get a new frame, then i baby them til they get their first scratch and then let it loose.

mrcapslock
03-06-2006, 11:34 PM
hehehe. I still have 2-4 more days till i get it :) can't wait.

heycal
03-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Here's a tip that applies to your specific question and such matters in general: the best time to ask whether a particular item is right for you is before you purchase it, not after.;)

Your racket should be fine. Don't worry so much about the racket, the strings or the tension, or anything else like that for now. Just go have fun with it.

Marius_Hancu
03-07-2006, 04:06 AM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

mrcapslock
03-07-2006, 05:32 PM
hahaha a lot of math going on. So is this an arm-friendly racquet?