PDA

View Full Version : pro kennex 5g v ki5

4faith
03-06-2006, 09:52 PM
:mrgreen: I have been using 5G for 2 years. Recently Ki5 attracts me. Some say Ki5 is better, while others say both are almost same. If I am satisfied with 5G overall (except that I want more power from it), is it rather meaningless for me to buy Ki 5?

Is there anyone who played with both of them? Can anyone tell me what is the crtitical difference between them?

Also, is there any other difference between Ki5 and Ki5 PSE (and also 5G and 5G PSE)? Your comments would be very helpful in my purchase of another PK racquet.

Another question is about its strining. In my pursuit of more power and pop/spin, what is your suggestion/choice of string/tension for 5G?

louis netman
03-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Ki5 has more power, stiffer feel than 5g may be a bit more harsh...Both PSE (5g and Ki5) versions are pretty weighty...no margin for modding. 5g is an overall smoother stick...

ohplease
03-07-2006, 05:20 AM
I have been using 5G for 2 years. Recently Ki5 attracts me. Some say Ki5 is better, while others say both are almost same. If I am satisfied with 5G overall (except that I want more power from it), is it rather meaningless for me to buy Ki 5?

Is there anyone who played with both of them? Can anyone tell me what is the crtitical difference between them?

Also, is there any other difference between Ki5 and Ki5 PSE (and also 5G and 5G PSE)? Your comments would be very helpful in my purchase of another PK racquet.

Another question is about its strining. In my pursuit of more power and pop/spin, what is your suggestion/choice of string/tension for 5G?

I've played the pre-2001 5g and the Ki5 side by side. The Ki5 feels remarkably stiffer. I didn't care for it at all.

hiltonhead
03-07-2006, 05:31 AM
Have both and Ki is crisper with a little more spank. Didn't need the lead. 5g a bit softer. I have 3 Ki 5's. 5/8's ....may shed one.

kenyee
03-07-2006, 05:47 AM
Ki5 will indeed have more power and pop...it's noticably stiffer as others mentioned. I still have a slightly used 4-1/2 Ki5 if you're interested...just wasn't my cup of tea. I got the PK5G to fix arm problems and I think the Ki5 is a step backwards for that purpose.

However if you're using the PK5G as a good all-around player's racquet instead, the Ki5 is a good step. It does feel crisper, has more pop, etc. while still maintaining what the PK5G has in terms of overall performance. Despite it's stiffness, the kinetic system seems to absorb a lot of the ball energy as usual.

alb1
03-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I have and use both rackets depending on the situation and opponent. I find I have better touch and feel with the 5g, but I can hit a heavier ball with the Ki5. I like to use the Ki5 when playing doubles against 4.5- 5.0 players because I can get more pace on the ball, especially serves and volleys. However it did get to feeling pretty heavy after 3 matches in a weekend round robin tournament so I ended up using the 5g in the 4th match.

4faith
03-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks all.

All you experience stiff feel from Ki5 and more power. If so, would playing with both be a nice idea, as alb1 does? [Ki5 during the first few matches, then 5g during the ending matches, especially when I get tired]

Sometimes, using stiffer one and less stiff one let me lose my control. [5G with Prince TT graphite or Wilson surge 5.1]. I hope such a difficulty does not take place between 5g and ki5.

As a kind of all court player[but not that aggressively], I am using 5g with lead tapes on 3 and 9 o'clock. Please give me your ideas more.

alb1
03-07-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't think there is a control issue as far as rallying from the baseline or hitting serves, volleys, etc. between the two frames. I notice the biggest difference in the finesse shots such as drop shots and lobs. The 5g just gives you more feel for the touch shots.

thinktowin
03-08-2006, 06:18 AM
I might be interested in the Ki 5 if you still have it. My email is ok2553@aol.com. Thanks.