PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDS 003 v. RQ 7 MP

texcoug
03-07-2006, 07:24 AM
One is 27.25 (003), the other is 27.5. Both are low-medium power, thinnish beam, around same stiffness (63-65) and swingweight (315-318) and same headsize (100"). The 003 is a tad bit heavier (.3 oz) but sig. more headlight (12 v. 6 pts).

What is your take on these two frames? Is the 003 one you would add lead to stabilize the head?

I am also interested in the RQ 5. I am particularly interested in the power level of these racquets as compared to:

03 White
03 Tour
PD

Thanks in advance.

carTW
03-07-2006, 08:44 AM
The RDS003 is not 12 pt headlight. It is more around 3-4 pt headlight and the head is very stable.
I don't know the other racquets so I cannot compare with them.

Ripper
03-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm interested in the RDS 003 and was thinking exactly the same thing; that it's specs are very similar to the RQ7 MP. Personally, I'd go with the RDS, because I think it's 27.25 inch length should suit my 1hbh better. Also, I'm curious about how the Elastic Ti/Gum Metal throat feels like... Plus, I like it's pj a lot more ;)

Bora
03-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I think I prefer the RQ 7 MP, seemed like a better stick overall. The PD is much stiffer and doesn't have the feel and control of the RQ 7. I also thought the feel of the RDS003 was a bit too muted, same goes for the O3 Tour. The O3 Tour is much more lower powered than the others on your list.

atatu
03-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I haven't tried the RDS 003 yet, but I can tell you the RQ 5 is pretty stiff, it hurt my shoulder after 10 minutes.

Swingman
03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Haven't tried the RDS003 yet but I have tried everything else. I don't plan to try the RDS given the higher stiffness and power levels. My RQ7 has all the power I need.

03 White - a good bit of power - I felt it was about the same as the PD but I think I had slightly more control with the PD (maybe due to a less lively string bed?), has a muted feel, I had trouble keeping the ball in the court swinging out on my shots. Really had to brush up on the ball.

03 Tour - good spin, wierd feel

PD - too stiff a frame for me but good amount of controllable power and spin

As I mentioned in previous posts the only drawbacks that I see in the RQ7 is the extended length (which can be a plus for others) and slight twisting of the head on off-center hits. Otherwise it's a great stick. My service game and overall match win % has gone up considerably with this stick. I'm thinking of cutting mine down to 27.25. Has anyone done this yet or down to 27"? Would appreciate post-cut feedback on this.

texcoug
03-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Haven't tried the RDS003 yet but I have tried everything else. I don't plan to try the RDS given the higher stiffness and power levels. My RQ7 has all the power I need.

As I mentioned in previous posts the only drawbacks that I see in the RQ7 is the extended length (which can be a plus for others) and slight twisting of the head on off-center hits. Otherwise it's a great stick. My service game and overall match win % has gone up considerably with this stick. I'm thinking of cutting mine down to 27.25. Has anyone done this yet or down to 27"? Would appreciate post-cut feedback on this.

How does the RQ7 power compare to those you mentioned (more or less than the White, for example).

Also, I too would be interested in the grip reduction if anyone else knows.

Swingman
03-07-2006, 11:54 AM
How does the RQ7 power compare to those you mentioned (more or less than the White, for example).

Also, I too would be interested in the grip reduction if anyone else knows.

It's more powerful than the 03 Tour (I'm guessing by about 5-10%), less powerful than the 03 White (10-15%?). The end result will also depend on your swing style. If you have short to medium strokes the RQ7 may not have enough power for you. I'm a 4.5 with long, fast strokes and it feels just right.

backcourt
03-07-2006, 11:59 AM
The RDS003 is not 12 pt headlight. It is more around 3-4 pt headlight and the head is very stable.
I don't know the other racquets so I cannot compare with them.

I figured it couldn't be 12 pts HL but only 3 or 4? Thats less than its predecesor the RDX 300. How did you come up with this number, or is it just a guesstimate. I am really interested in this racquet, but 3 or 4 pts. headlight is a little low for my game. I was hoping or at least 5 or 6.

backcourt
03-07-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm interested in the RDS 003 and was thinking exactly the same thing; that it's specs are very similar to the RQ7 MP. Personally, I'd go with the RDS, because I think it's 27.25 inch length should suit my 1hbh better. Also, I'm curious about how the Elastic Ti/Gum Metal throat feels like... Plus, I like it's pj a lot more ;)

I agree Ripper. I am playing a 27.25 now and can hit a decent backhand with it, but never quite got the the single backhand going with any 27.5 racquets I've had. I also like the color, and the reports that it serves better than the rdx 300, which I like, but didn't get in part for its lack of pop on serves.

carTW
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Backcourt,
The 3-4 pts is an estimate. I have it as a demo along a Volkl DNX8 and their balances are very similar, the Yonex being a tad less headlight (putting one on top of the other, finding the balance point then removing the top one). Playing-wise it feels a bit less headlight than the Volkl but the Yonex head always gives that impression.
They both feel way less headlight (playing-wise and with the little test mentioned above) than the PK 5g that I have for comparison

Keifers
03-07-2006, 12:18 PM
I also have a much bigger problem getting used to 27.5" than 27.25" -- especially on the 1hbh. Would cut the RQ7 down to 27.25" if I got one.

(Very nice volleying frame, the RQ7. Half-volleys, too.)

netman
03-07-2006, 02:35 PM
I've got an RDS 003 in house right now. Playtested the NSRQ-7 in Jan.

I really liked the NSRQ-7. A lot. I could rip groundies off both sides, which is not my strength. Interestingly I had trouble volleying with it, which is my strength. Great serving stick.

After my initial trials, I'm liking the RDS 003 even more than the NSRQ-7. Great for volleys and you can really flatten out groundies for putaways. Also a great serving stick. Touch more power than the NSRQ-7, but still easily controlled. You can use less energy to get the same result. Also comfortable like the NSRQ-7. RDS is a bit stiffer so you lose some of the feel of the NSRQ-7 but you can still hit drop shots and drop volleys with precision and control.

-k-

carTW
03-07-2006, 05:58 PM
I just verified the balance point of the demo RDS003. It is at 13 -1/8" from the butt, which I think would make it 4 pts headlight (mid point is at 13-5/8 (27-1/4 divided by 2) which is 1/2" (or 4 pts) above the balance point).
That racquet does have some protective tape on the bumperguard. I am not sure how much it would affect the balance point. Some other web-site indicates the balance point at 13", so the one I have without the bumperguard protection might match that. That would make it 5 points headlight I believe.

texcoug
03-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Also -- can someone remind me how Yonex grip sizes run (l or s).

Also, any more feedback on rq-5? I am particularly interested in power and spin potential.

netman
03-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Just finished a set of hard hitting doubles. The RDS 003 did not fare well. Its just too stiff and not as manuveurable as I had initially thought. Very good serving stick, but against 100+ mph serves it was just too powerful. Even block backs were hitting the back fence. At the net it was hard to get around and again too powerful to really control placement and speed of the volley. Definitely have to say the NSRQ-7 is the better frame of the two if you provide your own power. and value touch and feel over raw power.
-k-

texcoug
03-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Just finished a set of hard hitting doubles. The RDS 003 did not fare well. Its just too stiff and not as manuveurable as I had initially thought. Very good serving stick, but against 100+ mph serves it was just too powerful. Even block backs were hitting the back fence. At the net it was hard to get around and again too powerful to really control placement and speed of the volley. Definitely have to say the NSRQ-7 is the better frame of the two if you provide your own power. and value touch and feel over raw power.
-k-

how does your fh fare with the .5 extension?

crism54
03-08-2006, 02:26 AM
you can tell me if the shape of the section is of the type of rdx (hexagon/triangular)or more of type box(rd ti 80/babolat pure control).moreover the thickness is 23 o 24 mm(measurement my rdx300 is 23.5mm).the greater largeness of the headsize is given regarding the rdx from 98 inches, the greater width or the greater length towards the throat?thanks

backcourt
03-08-2006, 05:54 AM
I just verified the balance point of the demo RDS003. It is at 13 -1/8" from the butt, which I think would make it 4 pts headlight (mid point is at 13-5/8 (27-1/4 divided by 2) which is 1/2" (or 4 pts) above the balance point).
That racquet does have some protective tape on the bumperguard. I am not sure how much it would affect the balance point. Some other web-site indicates the balance point at 13", so the one I have without the bumperguard protection might match that. That would make it 5 points headlight I believe.

Thanks for the update. I saw in another thread someone put it at 6 pts. HL. Of course its a Yonex so it probably depends on grip size, where a 5/8 may actually be heavier and more HL than a 3/8.

netman
03-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Could be. But the demo I have is 4 1/2 with and overwrap its right at 6.5 pts HL. Can't imagine the 4 5/8 jumping another 6 pts.

-k-

thinktowin
03-08-2006, 07:07 AM
I purchased this frame with the intention of modifying it. I shortened it to 27" and added lead tape to the hoop and grip to bring the weight to 11.8 oz with an overgrip and balance to 6 pts HL.

It has exceeded all my expectations.

backcourt
03-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Could be. But the demo I have is 4 1/2 with and overwrap its right at 6.5 pts HL. Can't imagine the 4 5/8 jumping another 6 pts.

-k-

Netman, thanks for the info. I recently started playing a 4 1/2 with supergrap after years of 4 5/8. 6.5 HL is equivalent to the MP 3i's I've been using, so this sounds like a good possiblity for increasing my current 95 headsize and hopefully reducing mishits at the same time. I really want to demo this racquet but its not yet listed as an available demo at TW.

Bora
03-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I purchased this frame with the intention of modifying it. I shortened it to 27" and added lead tape to the hoop and grip to bring the weight to 11.8 oz with an overgrip and balance to 6 pts HL.

It has exceeded all my expectations.

I saw you post this before and everytime I can't wonder but say, WHY? I mean there are so many 27 inch sticks that could have been leaded up without the pain of chopping and rebalancing. Anyway, to each his own. Enjoy your new stick.