PDA

View Full Version : Which Polyester string for most grip on the ball?

djones
06-17-2004, 01:56 AM
Now I'm using a 28 kilo Head Ultratour 16L on a Head I radical midplus frame (1.27mm), but what I noticed when comparing this string to Pacific's poly basic (1.20/1.30) on a I radical oversized frame strung at 31 kilos, the grip on the ball is so much less.
Whenever I'm not putting enough power on the Topspin forehand, the ball dissapears in the net.
Btw, the loss of power seems to much as well with this string.
Obvious, this Head Ultratour 16L is not what I'm looking for, so would you have any other suggestions for me when looking for a Polyester string with more grip on the ball?

TennsDog
06-17-2004, 06:02 AM
For sheer grip, I would suggest Luxilon 5-Star or any 18 gauge poly. The 5-Star is shaped like a pentagon so it has 5 sharp edges meant to bite into the ball for better spin and control. Any 18g string will have plenty of bite and playability, less durability.

djones
06-17-2004, 06:25 AM
Probably a very stupid question, but what does 18 gauge string mean? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :D :idea:
People are talking about gauge this, gauge that.

finchy
06-17-2004, 08:05 AM
gauge is how thick or thin a string is. the lower the number, the thicker it is. the higher, the thinner it will be.

Luxilon Big Banger ALU ( a very good spin string) Power is 16l gauge. meaning it is between 16g and 17g.

Big Banger Ti-Mo comes in 17g and 18g. they are mainly for spin and control.

please do note that higher, thinner gauges have less durability than thicker gauges because they are thin.

I use Luxilon Big Banger 5-Star, but it feels too stiff for me IMO. the pentagonal shape is really nice, but i dont think i will use it again...

bsandy
06-17-2004, 11:01 AM
I defy anybody to top my TI-MO 18 mains with Bab Razor crosses.

. . . Bud

TennsDog
06-17-2004, 02:12 PM
What style of play do you have? Lot of power, your own spin? How long do you have to restring to keep the Razor Spin effective for spin? (The texture wears off after not-too-long.)

PHSTennis
06-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Bud. Hows a Ti-Mo 17g mains 16g Syntronic Brio crosses :)

a verrry large duck
06-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Yeah and also apparently the gauge label has different actual diameters depending on the manufacturer, they may range from say 1.28 to 1.35 mm for example im not sure. They all will state the actual diameter in millimeters. I've played with kirschbaum 1.20mm polyester and that's very thin and its labeled as 17 gauge. I had saw some 19 gauge string from gamma on **** a while back. Also there's a forten string blend that's really thin, might want to try that but i think it was kevlar.

tennisnoob
06-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi Duck

Dun bother trying thin blend from Forten, it just plain suck! It loses tension way too quickly in my opinion, i've tried it last year and the strings were fraying like mad just under 2 hours. Crossfire 2 from Ashaway is anytime better!

tennisnoob
06-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Now I'm using a 28 kilo Head Ultratour 16L on a Head I radical midplus frame (1.27mm), but what I noticed when comparing this string to Pacific's poly basic (1.20/1.30) on a I radical oversized frame strung at 31 kilos, the grip on the ball is so much less.
Whenever I'm not putting enough power on the Topspin forehand, the ball dissapears in the net.
Btw, the loss of power seems to much as well with this string.
Obvious, this Head Ultratour 16L is not what I'm looking for, so would you have any other suggestions for me when looking for a Polyester string with more grip on the ball?

Hi jonesy

You might do well with Pacific's Poly Force 17L, it wil provide better feel but you will have to bring down your tension a bit.

djones
06-17-2004, 10:50 PM
But what's the sense of informing me about the diameter twice both in mm and gauge?
If it's 1.20 mm it's 1.20 mm, that's all I need to know!
Don't I? :idea:

Deuce
06-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Of course, knowing the gauge in mm is better than random gauge numbers of 16, 17, 18, etc., where one 16 can be 1.26mm, and another 16 can be 1.30mm...

If you want a Poly to bite the ball better, consider adding some string savers to the sweet spot.

K!ck5w3rvE
06-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Isn't 5 Star really thick? I saw it was 1.38 somewhere...

dax_q
06-18-2004, 05:25 AM
Not to get off the poly wagon, but I think the crossfire 2 from ashaway really bites the ball.

a verrry large duck
06-18-2004, 09:23 AM
tennisnoob:
Hi Duck

Dun bother trying thin blend from Forten, it just plain suck! It loses tension way too quickly in my opinion, i've tried it last year and the strings were fraying like mad just under 2 hours. Crossfire 2 from Ashaway is anytime better!

dax_q:
Not to get off the poly wagon, but I think the crossfire 2 from ashaway really bites the ball.

Thanks for the info, that real thin forten was one of the things on my list to try out, but I'll probably move it way down. Kevlar that goes loose too fast would give kevlar a bad name. You're right about crossfire 2 though, although I didn't remember a 2, maybe i was trying the crossfire 1, but anyway that string is awesome, if you're accepting of kevlar. All I know is, it goes great in an i.radical.