PDA

View Full Version : Smash Court Tennis 2 !!

ibemadskillzz
06-17-2004, 12:04 PM
hi,
I have not purchased the game yet. I just want to know if it's worth the money. What do you think about the game compared to other tennis games? Is it good as Top Spin? SHould I buy it even if it is not bettter than top spin? How are the controls. Can you hit drop shots or angle it anytime u want to?

Chanchai
06-23-2004, 09:32 AM
When I get the game, I'll write up a review of it.

I expect this one to be very similar to Smash Court Tennis, but maybe more accessable or even more refined.

My views on the first one is that it wasn't as accessable as Topspin or Virtua Tennis/Power Smash/Sega Sports Tennis. However, it practically became my favorite and in many ways (but not all), it was the closest game to capturing real tennis.

The motion cap wasn't accurate in Smash Court, but I think it is in Smash Court 2 with all the endorsements and efforts they seem to have made.

The thing about the engine for smash court was that it didn't play on positioning and hitting the button ASAP (virtua tennis series). Nor did it take the approach of hitting the button for preparation phase of the stroke (smash court). Instead, the swing was not preloaded, but you would time the moment you hit the buttons when the ball was right in your strike zone. You would hit some poor shots if the timing was bad. If the timing was okay, you get decent results. If the timing is great, you get some nice penetrating shots--create tough angles with topspin, slice well with slice, hit awesome topspin lobs and dropshots too.

The benefit of this engine is that crosscourt groundstrokes becomes very natural in Smash Court and a bit more work in Topspin (Xbox) and happens far less in Virtua Tennis. In fact, you really do see the benefits of hitting groundstrokes crosscourt and volleying down the line in Smash Court. Furthermore, just about every poor shot WILL GET RETURNED BY A HARD FLAT SHOT OR OVERHEAD, so you were screwed if you got a poor shot out. This eventually encourages something similar to actual percentage tennis. At least usually.

Generally, I'm a big fan of all three of the games and a few other tennis games for different reasons. But Smashcourt was a wonderful game if you gave it a good hour or two to get used to and the rallies would get really good and yet hardly have the insanely long rallies of some of the other titles. There were clear ways to take the advantage in Smash Court--and yet without the types of rallies that you get in Topspin because of the risk shots.

I am hoping that in Smash Court 2, the engine will be more refined and maybe have more errors that are factored in by the players you use (Smash Court 1 has about the same amount of errors as Topspin, easy to play without errors, you only make them if you are trying to abuse something and they are very rare). I also hope they clean up the interface, maybe have something that teaches a beginner how to better handle the game (it really isn't hard, but it's frustrating to first timers usually). And of course, hope they get the animations completely correct in this one. Oh yeah, Sampras looked like some deformed gorilla in Smash Court 1 lol.

-Chanchai

dantyem108
06-27-2004, 06:34 AM
is it coming out on xbox? if so, xbox live?

Feņa14
06-27-2004, 04:00 PM
It's not coming out on xbox, the game is OK and a definite improvement on the old version. Not as good as tospin and i'm waiting for topspin2.

I have had it for 2 months and got bored pretty quickly with it.

-Liam

dantyem108
06-27-2004, 04:39 PM
well, that kinda sucks, but i love topspin too much to probably play anything else, way too addictive on live. I am also waiting for top 2!