PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Paintjobs ? ?

bsandy
06-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Okay, if you're tired of paintjobs and Wilson saying the pros play with the models they endorse, Go Here . . .

http://www.ag.state.il.us/about/email_consumers.html

Wilson is in Chicago, so file a complaint with the Attorney General for Illinois.

Be specific. Hard evidence of them advertizing it, and hard evidence against it. No, "I know someone"s or "I heard that"s.

Send them links to articles and ads. Send them names of experts in the field to back up your claims.

OBTW . . . Why do we support TW when they do the same and should know better ?

I hope like get's used as much as the last one I posted.

. . . Bud

lendl lives
06-17-2004, 01:00 PM
yes i don't really see how companies get away with it. isn't it false advertising? has there ever been any legal action around this issue. just curious.

bsandy
06-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Thing is . . . Most people agree it's happening, and they need to tell someone who doesn't know.

. . . Bud

AAAA
06-18-2004, 12:53 AM
I don't work in the legal field but I think a company can name a racquet anything they like so long as the name doesn't already have copyright by another company. They can I think legally give two different racquets the same name. The adverts don't actually state the player is using the very same nCode available for sale to consumers. The pro will use one version of the nCode while the consumer is offered another version and legally it's valid.

perfmode
06-18-2004, 04:11 AM
its common knowledge that pro's don't use off the shelf equipment. do you think basketball players wear the same jerseys and sneakers that you can buy in a store? do snowboarders/skiiers use the off the shelf boards/skis?

TommyGun
06-18-2004, 07:46 AM
Perfmode,

Painting a Pro Staff ROK and calling it an nCode is NOT customizing. Customizing is strings, weight, grip, handle. Same frame, no paint job needed!

Hewittfan22
06-18-2004, 09:50 PM
hey bsandy you put 23 GRAMS OF LEAD TAPE??? are u kidding me, thats insanley lot of amount of lead, are u sure its 23 grams, ?

Hewittfan22
06-18-2004, 09:50 PM
i put about 12 grams still pretty heavy

perfmode
06-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Perfmode,

Painting a Pro Staff ROK and calling it an nCode is NOT customizing. Customizing is strings, weight, grip, handle. Same frame, no paint job needed!

skiiers and snowboarders use paintjobs just like tennis players.

bravestennis
06-19-2004, 04:18 AM
there was tat tiger woods golf ball thing, where he said he was playing a certin balll, when it was customized, and nike got into trouble and started making the TW version. Isn't this the same basic idea?

roundiesee
06-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Yes, bravestennis is right. Nike got into trouble for false advertising with Tiger, claiming that he plays with the same ball that you can buy in stores. He of course wasn't, whereas other rival companies like Titliest made golf balls used by the pros that you could actually purchase. Nike had to replace all the balls with the same type that Tiger actually used.
I think all racket companies need to be forced to do the same, just come out clean and say so-and-so is using what racket, and make sure that you could actually buy these same rackets in retail stores. The problem with this is that most of these rackets might have already been "discontinued" but just made available for pro-players under contract. However, they might get around this problem by offering the hard-core enthusiasts the same racket much like TW is doing under the "Bosworth" section. (All Bosworth rackets offered have of course been out of production for some time). Making a professional tennis player play with a racket which is painted to look like another completely different one is definitely deceiving and should be stopped.

goober
06-20-2004, 05:44 AM
I don't know about skiing and snowboarders since I don't do either, but the NBA sneakers and jerseys doesn't apply. People buy clothing based on appearance and style.

Tennis equipment like golf equipment is totally different. People want to use what the pros are using because they think it will improve their game. It is completely wrong therefore to sell a line of racquets based on a certain pro player using it if in fact the player is not using the racquet at all.

shawndedrik
06-20-2004, 09:03 AM
I agree that it’s deceptive for manufacturers to paint custom-built racquets to resemble shelf models. I also think that pros who agree to use paintjobs are complicit in creating the deception. However, the more interesting question to me is why endorsements are effective in the first place. If Andy Roddick uses a particular racquet, he does so presumably because that racquet fits his particular needs. These needs will vary from player to player depending on ability level, body type, style of play, etc. There is no reason for a consumer to be influenced by Roddick’s racquet choice if performance is the only concern. While there is nothing wrong with wanting to own the same racquet used by a pro, we should be candid with ourselves and acknowledge that we do so for reasons of image rather than performance in most instances. Once we stop making image-based purchasing decisions, paintjobs will lose their reason for being.

goober
06-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Of course it makes absolutely no sense for anyone to buy a racquet based on what a certain pro uses, but certain consumers in the tennis market do strange things. Remember when Borg had his Donnay racquet strung at some ridiculously high tension (70-80 lbs?) I remember a fair number of people trying to imitate that.and went out and bought these racquets Of course eventually they realized that it wasn't that easy to play that way, but it didn't matter it helped Donnay's sales.

Let's face it Agassi popularized the radical series and Roddick the bablolats. Their sales probably would not have been as high without them. The real players are not going to be swayed by these things but a lot teenagers and recreational players will and they are a large part of the racquet buying population. The racquet companies knows it works or they would not keep doing it.

shawndedrik
06-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Endorsements definitely work! I’m with you on that 100% goober, and the proof is in the cash that these pros are getting paid to lend their names to a product line. And by the way, I’ll bet the “real players” among us are prone to being swayed along with everyone else. I just think that the outrage over paintjobs is also a bit silly. Yes, the manufacturers and pros are being deceptive. But they are only being deceptive because consumers are acting irrationally. We could either wait for these companies to come clean, or we could start making rational choices. Either option would work.

Kobble
06-21-2004, 12:01 AM
I don't know if an answer exists. Pros definitely want the money contracts associated with switching companies(Like Safin did with Dunlop.), and it causes a problem for them to play with equipment they are uncomfortable with. Companies only have so much money to offer contracts to players. With that said, if you have the top 4 players in the world using the same frame their whole life, that company can't afford to pay them all top dollar, so someone has to find a contract somewhere else. Then that person would have to play a different frame in order to satisfy peoples' moral opinion, but if that player's performance suffers with that new frame, then that player is sacrificing. If their performance slips they don't sell as many racquets, since no one would want to buy the racquet that caused a player to drop in rank. Since, the racquet companies and the players decided that they both would like to benefit from this situation, we get paintjobs as the solution. They both get what they work for, and we think we get what we work for. It all stems from the struggle over money between the racquet company's greed and the player's desire for fair compensation.

rooski
06-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Who really cares? I mean come on...lighten up. Spend your energy on something more worthwhile.

I think it's kind of fun to guess which racket is under the paint. You and I both know paint jobs are rampant but the vast majority of the tennis racket buyers could care less. In fact, I read recently that most players don't even think about which pro is playing which racket when they purchase a new stick.

BTW...how about that clever little DB paint job on Sharapova's TT Hornet. Nice body too!

lenosucks
06-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Perfmode, your other comparison doesn't work either. I am an editor for a major snowboarding magazine, and many of my best friends are pro snowboarders. While many of them do customize their boards, these are customizations that nearly every serious snowboarder makes, i.e. defiling the edges for jibbing and in some cases adding weight in the nose and tail for aid in rotation. I think tennis is unique in that it is one of the only sports where the pros use off the market or old raquets.

iradical18
06-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Who cares wut the pro's use, if they get a a million bucks for painting their real racket to look like a different one, well then more power to them, cuz im sure u would do the same. Marketing is Marketing, and tennis is a business just like any other one.

kooyah
06-25-2004, 11:08 PM
Who really cares? I mean come on...lighten up. Spend your energy on something more worthwhile.

The voice of reason.

Thank you.