PDA

View Full Version : Position of the Flying Clamps

kninetik
06-17-2004, 02:19 PM
I use a Silent Partner Drop Weight. I have no problems stringing the first 4 mains. As I start spreading out to the edge from the center, the mounting system gets in the way of the flying clamps forcing me to place it further and further away from the optimal position for retaining tension (which would be as close to the frame as possible).

I have seemed to found a solution to this. Place the flying clamps upside-down on the mains. This way the mounting system doesnt get in my way. However, I havent seen anyone mentioning this. And from all the instructional pictures and videos, the clamps on the mains are always hanging down and never hanging "up".

Is this a valid method? Any drawbacks to hang it against the natural pull of gravity?

Thanks!

TennsDog
06-17-2004, 03:07 PM
I also do this when I start stringing out towards the frame of my racket because the frame gets in the way of the clamp (don't ask). It works fine for me, I haven't noticed any problems with it. Only thing is sometimes they twist and don't stand straight up, but so what.

a verrry large duck
06-17-2004, 09:55 PM
I saw a tennis magazine of some kind and they had a stringing tips section and it illustrated a flying clamp as you described standing on its head. I dont' remember what they were trying to do, probably exactly what you described above, so I would say no problem.

kninetik
06-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks! Now I can go on with my stringing life with less worries :D

Gaines Hillix
06-18-2004, 07:15 AM
This is not a problem. Some machines don't have enough room below the string bed to let the clamps hang down. I like them hanging down better because there is less tendency to twist, but it's not a problem. BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about having to leave a little space between the clamp and the frame. Anything less than 1" is not going to make a significant difference in tension.

Steve Huff
06-18-2004, 04:48 PM
I always hung them from the bottom when I used floating clamps. When you put them on top, what keeps them from flopping on to their side, twisting the string. That seems as though you could put a serious bend in the string if you aren't careful, or lose even more tension as the string pulls up. Sometimes, I've used 2 clamps on the string. I would hang the heaviest clamp downward (my long Speed Clamp), and stick the lightweight vice clamp on top. But, you'd have to have 2 differently weighted sets of clamps to do this.