PDA

View Full Version : Klippermate stringers for beginner?

Mark55
06-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Maybe this one? http://www.klippermate.com/klippermatedetail2.php

David Pavlich
06-17-2004, 07:03 PM
It's the machine on which I started. It will do a good job as long as you do your part. It's time consuming, but if you're only stringing a few racquets, it'll be fine.

David

Simbah2004
06-17-2004, 07:27 PM
David, isn't the Klippermate difficult to learn and eventually master? I read somewhere this machine (apart from the low price) was not suitable for beginners.

Gaines Hillix
06-18-2004, 06:46 AM
The ATS SS II and similar machines with a ratcheting tension head are easier to use, IMO. The clutch eliminates the need to fiddle with the amount of slack you leave in the string so the tension arm can reach the horizontal position.

Mark55
06-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Well I have a lot of people who could teach me how to string very quickly so it wont take me long to figure out any stringer really, but what stringer would be the best for stringing 5 or so peoples racquets including myself and I break strings every 5 sets or about 3 or 4 days thats under 300$.

Simbah2004
06-18-2004, 03:30 PM
I think for that price range you can get a better machine than the Klippermate (6 point mounting system and flying clamps).

christian
06-18-2004, 06:25 PM
the klipper has a 2-pt mounting system and I would have to give to mounting edge to the ATS. The silent partner with a 6pt mounting system is what I wish I would have gotten. BUT my SS2 has served me very well and is much easier to string on thana klipper.

David Pavlich
06-19-2004, 07:25 PM
David, isn't the Klippermate difficult to learn and eventually master? I read somewhere this machine (apart from the low price) was not suitable for beginners.

I suppose it could be difficult, but I'm a techy kind of person (been in the maintenance field most of my years) so it didn't take long to figure out.

One advantage I had was I used a couple of types of string only. It made it much easier to anticipate the amount of slack I needed to get the tension arm correct. Trying to string a variety of strings on a Klipper could get quite tedious.

As others have posted, the ratcheting system is better because it virtually eliminates the slack question. It all comes down to how much you want to spend and how much time you want to spend stringing.

No matter what stringer you buy, whether it's a Klipper, a Gamma 602, a Silent Partner Aria (yea!) or a Babolat Sensor, there will be some sort of compromise when comparing one to another, within the parameters in which you are looking.

David

Simbah2004
06-20-2004, 10:00 AM
David, thanks for the input. After many postponed decisions, I decided to spend $200 more and get the Eco with fixed clamps. I already have many tennis buddies asking me to string their racquets, especially on weekends! How can I say no to extra weekend income? (:

David Pavlich
06-20-2004, 05:45 PM
You've made a good choice. And if you ever decide to sell it, you'll get a better return since it has the fixed clamps.

David

Simbah2004
06-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Yes David, and the numbers agree in medium - long term.