PDA

View Full Version : What's good thing about Laserfibre flying clamps ?

fastdunn
06-17-2004, 03:48 PM
I posted somewhat similar question in the "string machine" forum but
I'm posting this here (since it seems to have a bit more audience).

Anyway, I'm out for finding good flying clamps.
I have $150 Eagnus Hawk 26 and its flying clamps failed recently.
The problem I had with Eagnas clamps were that it did not have consistent
intervals and thus I damage string a bit.

I have narrowed down to

1. Klippermate's clamp(cheap $25 and seems somewhat better than standard clamps)
2. LaserFibre's floating clamps ($43 and people say they're good).

But I'll 2 of them. I'll need to know how good LaserFibre's clamps
are if I'm going to pay almost $100 for my $150 machine..... :(
Any experiences with both Klipper and LaserFibre will be appreciated....

Thanks...

HT
06-17-2004, 04:09 PM
I'll break down the subject with a good analogy.

Think of owning a cheap Hyundai VS. luxurious Mercedes. That's what qualities are like comparing an Eagnas and Laserfibre stringer.

fastdunn
06-17-2004, 05:42 PM
I'll break down the subject with a good analogy.

Think of owning a cheap Hyundai VS. luxurious Mercedes. That's what qualities are like comparing an Eagnas and Laserfibre stringer.

I'm not talking about string machine. I'm talking about clamps.
It is a simple device. I'd like to know what specific advantages
LaserFibre floating clamps have over others (please exclude Eagnas, I know their quality...).

For example, Mecedes might have high handling performaces and
engine durability. But Mercedes does not exactly have good relieability.
In fact, Mercedes has more small problems than recent Hyundai for the first couple of years of ownership, which will cost you lots of money....

I'll appreciate any of your sharing experiences with LaserFibre floating clamps and others....
Thanks,
FD

STRman
06-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Klip's are pretty good. I have some that I've used for at least 15 years and they still work as good as new. Before that, they use to sell them without the bottom joint welded and the clamps would slip. I would imagine that the joint is still welded but you may want to check on this.

Jerry Seinfeld
06-17-2004, 07:23 PM
fastdunn,

I sense your frustration with the responses you are receiving. I can't compare and contrast. I own the LaserFibre clamp and the quality is excellent.

That said I would suggest you take your question over to the Grand Slam Stringers Forum, www.******************.com They will be able to give you some additional perspectives, if you are patient. Most of them are working Wimbledon and the prelims so it may be a few weeks before they are able to respond. Lots of great experience and wisdom to be shared over there. I suggest tapping that resource as well.

Simbah2004
06-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Jerry, I'm about to purchase a Laserfibre Eco with flying clamps - Is that your machine? If so, what do you think of it? Thanks.

Deuce
06-18-2004, 12:14 AM
Dude, if you want a good quality flying clamp (or two) without paying the $45 LaserFibre price, take a serious look at Silent Partner. They are significantly better than the Klipper's, and I believe the cost is in the $30 range.

And, yes, I do have first hand experience with the Silent Partner flying clamps - I've strung about 20 racquets with them without any problems.

au
06-18-2004, 12:45 AM
these clamps are quality stuff. they are the same clamps used on the fixed clamp machines from laserfibre. not like those garage grippers you see the machanics use. they're heavy, durable, and their clamping capability our performs any other flying clamps in the market. i mean you can probably clamp a pencil to pieces if you wanted to with these clamps. which is a very good thing when it comes to stringing those naughty strings (Gosen OG's) that like to slip. put it this way, if i was hanging 30ft off the ground, i'd trust these clamps over any other flying clamps and supergloo.

au
06-18-2004, 12:54 AM
speaking of course about the Eco clamps. i've never used the Klippermate's clamps but they look exactly like the kinds auto mechanics use! and stringers looks like something they've welded together. honestly, the Eco clamps will last you forever. it's well worth the price if you are comparing them to those Klips stuff.

fastdunn
06-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Thanks everyone for helps...
I'll probably have odd combination of $150 string machine
with $90 clamps after all......

Would LaserFibre clamps be less damaging to strings ?

My clamps had different intervals and thus its teeth would slightly
bite into string on one side, in order to get firm enough grip
on the other side, if you know what I mean.....

au
06-18-2004, 02:37 AM
fastdunn,

call up laserfibre and ask to talk to Tim Sullieman. he'll tell you everything you'd want to know about the Eco clamps. he's very nice and thorough.

my experience with the Eco clamps though, is they don't damage the strings unless i clamp them too tightly. you should always test out the strings that you are using by clamping the ends and adjusting the tightness level on the clamps before actually stringing. and no, there are no "teeth" on these clamps. just three smooth metal pieces clamped together.