PDA

View Full Version : New string for NRG2 18g/Head Prestige mid user ... Gaines?

thatballwas_IN
06-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Gaines.. and others,

I am looking to switch to a different string in my 18x20 Prestige mid. Currently, my favorite string is Technifibre NRG2 18g, and I love it when it is brand new. I string it at high tension and I like the control due to the high tension yet because the string is brand new, it is very elastic and cups the ball well and rockets my serves.

Unfortunately, the strings seem to harden and deaden and I have to cut the strings out. I don't break strings, but my crosses move all over the place and I think messes some of my topsin up due to excessive movement.

Anyway, what strings would you recommend. I am thinking about all Lux ALU, or might hybrid with NRG2/ALU, or Gosen micro/ALU ...depending on my avail. cash.! But I would like to hear from others what they recommend for pretty big hitting, western grip topspin playing Prestige mid guy! :roll:

Gaines Hillix
06-18-2004, 06:54 AM
Before switching to a poly, I'd recommend trying some Laserfibre Supreme or Tour. These hold their tension better than NRG2 and don't move around as much. You also might want to try a Bow Brand nat gut/Gosen Micro hybrid. If you're still not happy, then try the ALU hybrids or full ALU job. Drop the tension a full 10% if you decide to try a full ALU job, especially on a frame with an 18X20 pattern.

NoBadMojo
06-18-2004, 07:40 AM
since you like the feel of the nrg2, i am suggesting the new technifibre bi-phase x-one. i think it is an improvement over the nrg2. it doesnt have quite the power of the nrg2 initially, but the strings seem to lock better, and the string plays more consistently from session to session for me. i'm not a fan of the LF Supreme but others seem to like it..to each their own. i dont think string movement would affect your topspin. give the biphase a try..its the next best thing to gut IMO. i'm using gut hybrids but have one axe strung w. biphase for damp conditions. ed

kreative
06-18-2004, 11:06 AM
agree w/ gaines, try out lf supreme or phenom. many enjoy gut hybrids in their prestiges as well. personally, i've always enjoyed a solid core syn gut (like PSG, or PSG w/ Duraflex 17g) strung at about 52 lbs.

sherpa78
06-18-2004, 12:10 PM
I was wondering how you guys use 2 different strings on the Prestige Mid? Perhaps we are talking about two different racquets.... I've got a mid-size Prestige Classic 600. Are you guys talking about the older Prestiges which perhaps were 2-piece string racquets?

Brad Smith
06-18-2004, 01:01 PM
I am experimenting with NRG18 in my PC 600 right now and was wondering how much time you get out of a string job before you decide to cut it out.

I agree with Gaines that you should try out other synthetics or natural gut before going to poly. I believe the PC 600 plays best with gut or a high end synthetic similar to gut, and it seems like most of the pros who use it feel the same way.

LF Supreme holds tension well, but it's also stiffer with less feel than most multi's. If you like more feel try the LF Phenom 18.

I like Gosen AK Pro 17 but I usually cut it out after 8-10 hours.

thatballwas_IN
06-18-2004, 04:48 PM
thanks for the help! I would love to use natural gut or a gut hybrid, but I am a pretty lousy stringer. I can string a 1-piece and ATW on the Prestige, but the blocked holes can give me fits and my clamps either slip or smush the string...
That's why I like using Leoina and Prince synth gut because I can clamp down and now worry about it.
-- Anyway, to answer one question I usually leave my NRG2 18g in waaay to long because I try to string as little as possible (takes me 1.5 hours :( ). It feels great for about 3 matches or 10 hours max and then it hardens up and feels dead.

I will try the new biphase sometime... anyone else see the price of Technifibre 515 in a major mid-west online store? It is a couple bucks cheaper and I am going to ask TW to match it. Good price!

I would also like to try the other Laserfiber and Technifiber ideas, but I would much rather spend 9 bucks than over 12.
In fact I like Leoina's 4 buck price even better!

See ya!
D$

bcaz
06-18-2004, 11:42 PM
First, I would string the Prestige Classic 600 2-piece. I have one strung up with BDE 17g natural gut at 53 lbs, mains and crosses, and it's really nice. I don't hit with it much, but I will re-string it within the next 6-8 weeks. When I do, I may try Bow gut 18g at 52; I have some, and I would only use it in a stick with 18 mains at low tension. I also highly recommend the LaserFibre XRC Phenom, which comes in an 18g. I love Pro Stock, but 17g is the thinnest available. I do believe the Prestige line would really roll with 18g strings. Let us all know what you go with and how it plays.

fred-s
06-19-2004, 10:23 AM
I use VS Gut 16 and Tonic 16 at 52-54# in my PC 600s. I have no problem generating spin on groundstrokes or serve and the feel and power are superb. You really get the sensation of the racquet cupping the ball and you feel that you can easily control depth, pace and trajectory. Because of the tight string pattern the gut lasts long (at least 2-3 months alternating 2 racquets 4-5 times a week) and maintains its tension well. It is a great frame that plays even better with gut.