PDA

View Full Version : Which string for which type a player?

djones
06-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Lately I got very confused about strings.
For example: Polyester is a very tough string for lots of control and feeling, am I right?
A natural Gut string is the totally opposite of a Polyester string cus it's very soft, but again the manufacturors are claiming this type of string offers lots of feeling and control.
My question is: how can 2 totally different strings have the same benefits?

Gaines Hillix
06-18-2004, 06:10 AM
djones, you aren't alone! There are so many different types of strings these days it's hard to sort through them all. The feel of a poly and nat gut are quite different, IMO. You have to take what the manufacturers say about their strings with a grain of salt. And all strings within a category aren't the same. The Touch Turbo or Poly Polar strings in the polyester category have a soft, even springy, feeling to me. Lux ALU Power doesn't. Some multifibre synthetic gut strings hold their tension better than others. Some are firmer feeling. I had to try dozens of different strings over a 3-4 year period before I could decide which ones were best for me.

a verrry large duck
06-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Personally I believe polyester and natural gut are the top two performance strings. And it depends on what racquet head size you got. I believe if you have a racquet head size from 85 to 95 sq. inches, gut has the best power/control combo. If you have a racquet 100-110 sqare inches, than polyester has the best power/control combo. And of course in the grey area, you can do hybrids between gut and polyester depending on taste. So, basically, they both offer the best benefits, but depending on what size racquet you use. Just a rule of thumb for most cases I think. I play midsize and so I have gut and it is SWEET!