PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone out there tried the "Body for Life" pro

atatu
06-18-2004, 07:39 AM
Sorry for posting two health/fitness questions in the same week, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Bill Phillips "Body for Life" program, which is basically a 12 week program for losing body fat and gaining muscle mass. I'm giving it a try, going to be tough because I have a notoriously bad diet, but right now I'm 5'9" and 195 which is a little embarassing. Would appreciate your thoughts on the program, pros and cons, etc.

goober
06-19-2004, 05:54 PM
I perused through their website and it isn't anything revolutionary. Basically eat less, improve your nutrition and exercise more. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but it really isn't not information you can pretty much get for free over the internet at various sites. The main problem with any 12 week or 6 week program is that many people reach their goals and they just stop and slowly go back to the way they were before.IMO you need to make permanent lifestyle changes.

I lost 25 pounds about a year ago and have kept off just by doing my own plan. I cut out soda, junk food and sweets out of my diet and was more aware of how much i was eating. I certainly didn't count calories. I exercised 6-7 days a week with alternating cardio and weights for about 45-60 minutes. I didn't count my tennis playing as a workout.

second set
06-19-2004, 06:46 PM
One of the key ideas in the Body for Life program is the 6 (smaller) meal a day, to keep you metabolism up, and burning calories.

Its an excellent framework for a program, reading it can be motivational as well.

I used Phillips ideas on exercise and 6 meals a day, along with Dean Ornish's low fat recommendations to develop my own plan a few years back. Dropped weight, got much fitter, and improved my game. (And got my cholesterol down to 154, for that matter..)

SS

goober
06-19-2004, 08:22 PM
One of the key ideas in the Body for Life program is the 6 (smaller) meal a day, to keep you metabolism up, and burning calories.

Its an excellent framework for a program, reading it can be motivational as well.

I used Phillips ideas on exercise and 6 meals a day, along with Dean Ornish's low fat recommendations to develop my own plan a few years back. Dropped weight, got much fitter, and improved my game. (And got my cholesterol down to 154, for that matter..)

SS

The 6 small meals a day plan is certainly not an original idea from Body for Life. I remember people talking about it at least 10 years ago.

IMO all the knowledge for working out and nutrition is out there on the internet for free, but if you want pay for a program/book that's fine.

The bottom line is sustained motivation. Anybody can follow a diet and workout plan for a month or two. The big challenge is whether you are still doing it years from now.

second set
06-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Goober, why not be constructive? Nobody is claiming an original idea. The question was whether Body for Life is something that anyone has tried, and whether it might be beneficial.

You basically just said, "eat right and exercise." Well Duh! But, the Body for Life program can provide a framework for one who, as the original poster said has a "notoriously bad diet."

waterpro
06-22-2004, 06:44 AM
Actually, I have to back up Goober. Yes, the BFL program works. As do alot of other programs if followed closely. But his point is that it shouldn't be thought of as a program, but as a lifestyle change. Yes it works but don't just do it for 3 months. Ie instead of making drastic changes just to lose weight in 3 months that you know you can't sustain, make gradual changes that you know you can live with for the rest of your life.

Also if I were you I wouldn't order the stuff from them. They are kinda expensive. Plus if I remember right, all they use is EAS suppliments. Some of which are good and some not so good. I would say if you want to give it a try, get the book, but get the suppliments on your own. There are plenty of online webstores that have the suppliments for alot less. (www.bodybuilding.com as one example)

Just my 2 cents!

atatu
06-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. Read the book, and it was helpful, I'm into my second week now and it's going okay. The only supplements I'm using are the Myoplex ready to drink shakes. Hopefully I can stick with this, went to have my body fat tested at the University yesterday and measured out at 25% , in the "overweight" category and not too far from "obese" (28%). Hope to get the body fat down to 20% or so by the end of the summer.

second set
06-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Atatu, I noticed you're in Austin, I am too. I'm strong 3.5, maybe almost 4.0 if you ever want to get out and hit: mohearn@hotmail.com