PDA

View Full Version : Best serve a volley string

spress
06-18-2004, 10:59 AM
I have just finished my high school tennis season and now i want to start looking for a better string. I tried babolat superfine play during the season and it seemed to springy unless i strung it so tight it would hurt my arm. I ended up using prince topspin and did ok with a 7-2 record and undefeated in the conference. I use a prince TT warrior. I am looking for a string that wont hurt my arm. I play mostly doubles or serve and volley singles. Any help would be appreciated thanks

finchy
06-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Babolat VS Team 17g Natural Gut.

now that wont hurt your arm.

and there is no "serve and volley" string. its the player's preference. check tim henmen's string. :P

spress
06-18-2004, 02:17 PM
i know there is no specific string for serve and volley but i guess i was trying to ask what other people out there use for serve and volley that is reasonably priced (below 10) because i break at least a string a week

finchy
06-18-2004, 02:34 PM
i guess you could try ashaway monogut. or the hybrid for it

spress
06-18-2004, 02:53 PM
thanks finchy i think ill try some of that free monogut and if it doesnt have enough power i might try using superfine play crosses to liven up the string bed because i have have the reel of super fine play left to use still

Steve Huff
06-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Spress, SuperFine Play makes a very good cross string for several other strings used in the mains. For more power, try a multifiliment (especially if you have a problem with arm soreness). A lot of serve & vollley players use stiffer strings for more control, but if you're already having arm soreness, I would try to alter my swing a little rather than getting a stiffer string. You still want to be playing when you're older too.

TennsDog
06-18-2004, 04:28 PM
You can't go wrong with a poly, either full job or hybrid. Poly has something to offer everyone. I use Babolat Ballistic Polymono 17 with Razor spin crosses. It is a good combo, nice and solid yet not stiff. I definitly suggest trying a poly of some kind.

finchy
06-18-2004, 07:37 PM
actually, i wouldnt suggest a poly for someone who DOESNT want a string that hurts their arm.

Kevin T
06-19-2004, 04:56 AM
I have served and volleyed for 15 years now and would recommend multis. I have dabbled in just about every type of string but always go back to Alpha Gut 2000 17. Sometimes I'll put Gosen JC 17 in the mains with Alpha crosses for a firmer stringbed in case I have one of those "lack of control" days. To agree with Deuce in another post, I also really like nylons like Leoina 77. Dirt cheap but you will need to re-string often. Alpha 2000 and Gosen JC are both <$6. Good luck.

dax_q
06-19-2004, 09:26 AM
I use Kevlar. Not good for the arm. I feel it, but I just can't change. I personally think the super fine play volleys nicely. I would play with it if it bit the ball better. Good feel and pop at the net.

au
06-19-2004, 11:49 PM
i'd say Natural Gut strings are best for serve and volleyers. here are some reasons: 1) good power for the serves, 2) nice feel for the volleys, and 3) keeps the ball deeps. other good things about Natural Gut strings include 1) they'll give you consistent play up until they break, 2) they're very durable, and 3) they're very easy on the arm. i have 2 sets of Gamma Natural Gut 16L strings for $40 shipped if you want. let me know.

autennis@yahoo.com

Mr. Sparkay
06-20-2004, 02:22 PM
ditto Au & Finchy on the gut. Try the Ultratour by Head, but as the rep says, cut it out in 30 days.

spress
06-21-2004, 03:47 PM
thanks everyone for the advise but i was string up to about 70+ pounds sometimes to get the control i wanted out of my other rackets but, poly works well for me at about 53 with my warriors
so i doubt that will hurt my arm anymore

PHSTennis
06-21-2004, 07:36 PM
I liked NXT, thats how I beat higer people, serve hard and volley... Strings lasted only a week so I dont know much about it... (5 hours) lol well anyways NXT... or Excell... Im a power baseliner now, I use poly or any synthetic with bite...