PDA

View Full Version : Head Prestige Classic 600 mid - any good?

Galactus
03-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Are these racquets really that good...or is it another case of 'they don't make 'em like that anymore' type romanticism?

I'm umming and ahhing about buying one...

armand
03-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Prestige Classic is very good, though not nearly as good as your Wilson ProStaff Original 6.0 85. The only thing the PC600 will do is increase your appreciation for the Wilson ProStaff Original 6.0 85.

Galactus
03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Prestige Classic is very good, though not nearly as good as your Wilson ProStaff Original 6.0 85. The only thing the PC600 will do is increase your appreciation for the Wilson ProStaff Original 6.0 85.
Thing is, as sacrilege as this might sound, but I'm beginning to think that my ProStaff 6.0 85 is only going to be good for 'practice' purposes only, and eventually make way for my Prostaff Tour90.
However, I don't know that much about the Head Prestige Classic - but what I've heard is that it's 'flagship-esque'.

hummer23
03-15-2006, 01:52 PM
the pc600 is an amazing frame, and it can really correct soem of your mistakes, becasue you cant by playing with bad technique. tis so controleld, adn yet you can pound serves with it. IT short, if oyu liek the rpestige series, its the best one of all. The i prestige was too stiff, and didnt have the buttery feel, and the LM was an improvement, but still hands down ,the pc600 was best. I have yet to try the flexpoint mid, but i hear some good thigns about that too. Try out the pc600 and see what you think.

ffrpg
03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
I play with both frames and enjoy them both. There's no doubt that both frames are amazing, but they're different. I've always thought of the PC600 as a less demanding PS85 (larger sweetspot and weighs less). I haven't played tennis in the last three months and I like to warm-up with the PC600. Once I'm warmed-up, I'll play with the PS85. The PC600 is pretty flexible, but the dense string pattern makes it feel stiffer than it really is (depends on strings/tension). My PC600 weighs 12.4 oz. stock with an overgrip + dampener. The only thing I don't like about the PC600 is that I've noticed a decrease in spin on my kick serves (not really that big of a deal). Is there anything in particular that you don't like about your PS 85? I think it's worth buying/trying the PC600. It's affordable.

thejerk
03-15-2006, 06:00 PM
If I were willing to work out, the pc600 would be my racket. It is one sweet frame and I love it. As it is, I hit with one for atleast a little while everytime I play even if i don't use it in a match.

datsveryinterestin
03-15-2006, 06:59 PM
i just played with the FXP prestige mid... and I have some comments... probably should make a new thread but oh well ;P

The FXP mid felt a lot closer to the PC600 that I thought it would.
Something about the head shape and swingweight that just allows you to
whip through with your forehand very quickly. It almost feels like it improves
your stroke just because it is sooo maneuverable.

Now that I have played with a few FXP frames... I can honestly say that I can FEEL the flexpoint working. I am not sure I like this feeling, but I can feel the frame absorb the ball when you hit it in the sweetspot.
The FXP might actually do what it claims to, since the ball seems to dwell longer before launching off again.
But I feel like it sort of absorbs some of the power when I get this FXP "feeling". I especially feel that way about volleying with a FXP racquet.
Seems to suck a lot of the juice out of my volleys. I have used the FXP Radical Tour, FXP Prestige Mid, and FXP Instinct, and only the Instinct seemed firm enough to let me volley well.
The rest gave excellent touch shots, but if I needed to crack a firm volley into a corner, with the other FXP racquets, they would just limp off the racquet and give my opponent plenty of time for a passing shot.

Anyway, I think the PC600 is a fantastic racquet, but you better have a big swing if you want depth... like most players racquets... especially 18x20 players racquets. I get GREAT spin with the Prestige, and kick serves are not a problem.... I found serves to be better with the PC600 than the FXP... especially spins and kickers... flat serves were very good with the FXP Prestige though.

Any "real" prestige should have a leather grip.. so the FXP needs help there, imo.

armand
03-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Thing is, as sacrilege as this might sound, but I'm beginning to think that my ProStaff 6.0 85 is only going to be good for 'practice' purposes only, and eventually make way for my Prostaff Tour90.
However, I don't know that much about the Head Prestige Classic - but what I've heard is that it's 'flagship-esque'.Wow, we have a lot in common(though some things are reversed)! For me, the 85 is not a good practice racquet because it has some magical property that allows me to find the sweetspot very easily. And this does not translate to other racquets and so this is where my PC600 comes in.

The PC has a seemingly smaller and harder to find sweetspot and if I practice with it, I will get better and it does translate to other racquets.
And all this after having used the PC for 4 years and only getting the 85 at the end of last summer.

But the things I don't like about the PC are that it has too much power(even more than my RDX) and it has too short a dwell time. And frankly, I'm getting bored of it so I want something new. And I was thinking about the Prostaff Tour 90.

But what exactly do you mean by "eventually make way for my Prostaff Tour90"?

OnyxZ28
03-16-2006, 01:52 AM
adely, have you tried stringing a bit lower on the tension range? That'll increase the dwell time and really bring out the feel in the racquet.

Galactus
03-16-2006, 02:43 AM
Wow, we have a lot in common(though some things are reversed)! For me, the 85 is not a good practice racquet because it has some magical property that allows me to find the sweetspot very easily. And this does not translate to other racquets and so this is where my PC600 comes in.

The PC has a seemingly smaller and harder to find sweetspot and if I practice with it, I will get better and it does translate to other racquets.
And all this after having used the PC for 4 years and only getting the 85 at the end of last summer.

But the things I don't like about the PC are that it has too much power(even more than my RDX) and it has too short a dwell time. And frankly, I'm getting bored of it so I want something new. And I was thinking about the Prostaff Tour 90.

But what exactly do you mean by "eventually make way for my Prostaff Tour90"?
I don't think I can keep up the level of play using a ProStaff Original 6.0 85 forever. Even though it's weighted-up to 385g, I still feel as though every match I play is tough.
Contrast this when I then go out and play with the Prostaff Tour90 and I feel calm and collected: I find I can place the serves better and I'm started to sweat after the 1st set and not during!
Thing is with the Tour90, it doesn't give me that confidence at the net or on flat backhands as well as the 85". I had a 2 hour game with it last night - it feels so light and 'tweenerish'!!!

Anyway, what this all boils down to is: would I be right in assuming that the Head Prestige Classic 600 Mid is closest alternative racquet to the 'feel' of a ProStaff Original...but with more power and a much larger head?

djones
03-16-2006, 10:25 AM

Why's the PS 85 better?
The PC600 feels more stable, I believe!

tandayu
03-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Anyway, what this all boils down to is: would I be right in assuming that the Head Prestige Classic 600 Mid is closest alternative racquet to the 'feel' of a ProStaff Original...but with more power and a much larger head?

Also consider max 200g or PT630

armand
03-16-2006, 09:21 PM
adely, have you tried stringing a bit lower on the tension range? That'll increase the dwell time and really bring out the feel in the racquet.Yeah I usually string at 52lbs and even then they seem tight so after the tension loss, it would be good if stupid NXTs wouldn't go dead by then.

However, one time I got a bad string job and after a hit it sounded like the string broke but it didn't, it only lost a lot of tension and it played funnily: It was very good when taking a big swing, but nearly useless otherwise. I'm guessing the tension was in the low 40's.

Anyway, next up: Babolat VS Tonic+ @ 51lbs. Sound good?

djones: I don't find that the PC is more stable. And the specs would confirm that as the 85 is stiffer and heavier.

Galactus: If you ask me, that's a wrong assumption. More power yes, but much larger head, no. And I could swear that the PC's sweetspot was much smaller. Very different feel too. The 85 is stiff but with a soft stringbed and the PC is the opposite. PC feels like an average racquet but only much better while the 85 feels like no other(this can be both a good and bad thing).

DX_Psycho
03-17-2006, 01:24 AM
well i have two prestiges. one is super messed up for some reason. it looks new, but compared to the other one, it is ultra stiff. i strung at 50 pounds on it and it felt like 60+ and it's so harsh. even if i hit the sweetspot it feels harsh. that's why i don't use that one. i can't wait until tenniswarehosue sells so i can buy a good one as my second because the prestgie that i use feels so nice compared to the stiff one.

djones
03-17-2006, 01:54 AM
well i have two prestiges. one is super messed up for some reason. it looks new, but compared to the other one, it is ultra stiff. i strung at 50 pounds on it and it felt like 60+ and it's so harsh. even if i hit the sweetspot it feels harsh. that's why i don't use that one. i can't wait until tenniswarehosue sells so i can buy a good one as my second because the prestgie that i use feels so nice compared to the stiff one.

Maybe it's because one of your Prestiges is a Head Classic mid.

Deuce
03-17-2006, 02:24 AM
No, you wouldn't be right in this assumption.

First of all, the Prestige Mids do not have a "much larger head" than the Pro Staff 6.0 85. The difference between them is 4.5 sq. in.

Secondly, if you're looking for a very similar feel to the Pro Staff 6.0 85, you should be looking at the iPrestige Mid - it's the closest racquet to the P.S. 85 in terms of feel that I've ever hit with.

djones wrote:

Do all of you who believe that the 'Classic Mid' is a different racquet than the 'Prestige Classic Mid/600' realize that if it were not for a stupid legal dispute with Wilson over the name 'Prestige', all of the 'Classic Mids' would have 'Prestige Classic' printed on them?

The difference, if any, between 'Classic Mids' and Prestige Classics' is no different than the difference between Prestige Classics produced in different years. I'm quite sure that Head made some (unannounced) subtle changes to the racquet over the years.

djones
03-17-2006, 03:08 AM

First of all, the Prestige Mids do not have a "much larger head" than the Pro Staff 6.0 85. The difference between them is 4.5 sq. in.

Secondly, if you're looking for a very similar feel to the Pro Staff 6.0 85, you should be looking at the iPrestige Mid - it's the closest racquet to the P.S. 85 in terms of feel that I've ever hit with.

djones wrote:

Do all of you who believe that the 'Classic Mid' is a different racquet than the 'Prestige Classic Mid/600' realize that if it were not for a stupid legal dispute with Wilson over the name 'Prestige', all of the 'Classic Mids' would have 'Prestige Classic' printed on them?

The difference, if any, between 'Classic Mids' and Prestige Classics' is no different than the difference between Prestige Classics produced in different years. I'm quite sure that Head made some (unannounced) subtle changes to the racquet over the years.

My Head Classic mid feels totally different than the Head Prestige Classic.

As far as I know this is the Head Classic mid, TW sold back in 2001:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010417071901/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=HC

It stiffness rating is 63, that's 3 points stiffer than the Head Prestige Classic.

As for the PS 6.0 85, this racquet isn't even 4.5 square inches larger in headsize.
I once held them together and the difference couldn't be more than 1 or 2 square inches.
The only difference I noticed was that the PS 6.0 85's headsize was a little smaller in length, not that the racquet was shorter, but it's throat was something like 0.5cm longer.

Marius_Hancu
03-17-2006, 04:11 AM
Galactus,

Check my review here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=762693

armand
03-17-2006, 08:12 AM

djones wrote:

The difference, if any, between 'Classic Mids' and Prestige Classics' is no different than the difference between Prestige Classics produced in different years. I'm quite sure that Head made some (unannounced) subtle changes to the racquet over the years.From reading about the racquets here from different people, different threads, I gather that the HEAD Classic Mid and the Prestige Classic are the same, but they're not the same as the Prestige Classic 600.
Where's that Tandayu guy when you need him? Or does he like revelling in the mystery of his collection?

ffrpg
03-17-2006, 08:54 AM
I've owned both the Classic Mid and the PC600. The classic mid feels softer/more flexible. I wouldn't say it's harsher than the PC600 at all.

armand
03-17-2006, 03:24 PM
I've owned both the Classic Mid and the PC600. The classic mid feels softer/more flexible. I wouldn't say it's harsher than the PC600 at all.Wow, I have both and I would say it's the exact opposite. Bizarre!:confused:
I blame HEAD for all this nonsense and inconsistencies. It's like they're a travelling circus!

Kirko
03-17-2006, 03:34 PM
I remember when the PC 600 came out and bought one on a lark. Wow! the only other frame that came close to me at least was the Prince Magnesium Pro 90 . had the right weght and balance off the "pegboard". In my wildest dreams I never this frame would be discoed. and don't tell me about the liquid melt intell.-fiber B.S. I always thought there would be a place for a TRUE player's frame. oh well.

EclipseRydr97
03-17-2006, 03:40 PM
This may be off topic but, where would you guys rank the Pro Staff 6.1 Classic given the PS 85 and Head Prestige Classic?

DX_Psycho
03-17-2006, 04:00 PM
well both my prestiges look the same. They say prestige classic 600. the stiff one has made in austria sticker on the buttcap and holographic buttcap.

the one that i like is not made ni austria and it has a regular head logo buttcap.

jackson vile
03-17-2006, 05:20 PM
I remember when the PC 600 came out and bought one on a lark. Wow! the only other frame that came close to me at least was the Prince Magnesium Pro 90 . had the right weght and balance off the "pegboard". In my wildest dreams I never this frame would be discoed. and don't tell me about the liquid melt intell.-fiber B.S. I always thought there would be a place for a TRUE player's frame. oh well.

One to many drink buddy:shock:

Kirko
03-17-2006, 05:40 PM
One to many drink buddy:shock:
Do you really hit awesome angles and string your racket at 58 lbs. ? Hubris.