PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Tennis Players

Bungalo Bill
03-16-2006, 06:35 AM
We are going to be living in Idaho (Boise Area) as of April 14th. This is a done deal and we are packing as we speak getting ready for the move.

I would like to hook up with some tennis players out there, check out the clubs, and in general tennis in the area. It is time to get in shape in the new surroundings!

Please let me know if we can hit some. I dont know if I will be able to hit on the weekend we arrive, but you never know.

Thanks!

gscone
03-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Congrat's on the move, but why the move from sunny California to Idaho?

lanky
03-16-2006, 08:33 AM
BB man whats going on?I've been on this board for years(albeit not many posts) and I used to think where did I go wrong as i looked out of the window of my office in the rain.I'm approx the same age as you, left handed and probably the only other person who uses the same grip size as you.There you were coach in california, ex-surfer, images to me of a tennis baywatch type.(I knew I should have accepted that beginners coaching job at a famous establishment age 18).Then you announce you're doing accountancy (failed statisticians because they didnt have the charisma(joke!)),then moving to Idaho,then unbelievably going to the dark side of a SH backhand.Man you're getting like the rest of us .Before long you'll be worrying about your pension and looking out of the window at the rain!!!
Best wishes with you're move and life changes BB .I hope it all works out for you.

jackson vile
03-16-2006, 09:10 AM
A lot of people move from Cali to Idaho, safer place to live, cheaper, they cash out on properties, ect.

I live in Pocatello so you are about 2.5-3hrs away from me, here you play real tennis. The courts aren't always the best and sometimes you have to play on garbage, here in the POC we have a lot of courts 90% are great some are a little less.

Here you play in the wind blowing the ball around, in the cold with the ball not bouncing, in the rain and the ball shoots water at oponet when hit, when the sun is hot enough to cook eggs, ect.

Here you have to live around out door tennis as it will no live around your schedule.

With that said Boise has the best weather out of ID and is extrememly nice and won't be too big of a leap for you.

Another odd thing is that even though we are a small state and with small cities we have a ton of tennis couts most are in good condition and most notably we have many country clubs, we have had our for a good 30 years.

I wife will be competing in tournaments this year, I might so if for any reason you come to Pocatello keep my email and let me know.

Give me your email but we are more likely to head to Utah Salt Lake city to play larger trounaments as it is closer and biger than Boise but might be forced to go their in order for my wife to take state.

Also look here for the Idaho USTA coordinator idaho.usta.com/ This will tell you all the clubs, go to the city something or another to get the park keys to get into locked tennis courts, lots of school tennis courts, this will also tell you about all tournaments and leagues

Freedom
03-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Hey BB,

I live in Idaho. I live in Twin Falls, about 1 1/4 hours away from Boise. Boise has a nice club, I think it's called the Boise Racquet Club, maybe Racquet and Swim Club. Boise also has a lot of nice parks. Avoid Julia Davis though- the courts have been poorly resurfaced, with gravely asphalt filling in deep trenches that zigzag across the court. Nice park though.

Like Jackson Vile said, Boise is probably the nicest place to be in Idaho.

jackson vile
03-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Just be ware the Mormons:shock: They will harasse you until you join their cult where your expected to give them 10% of your income, they're a lot like the scientologists so coming from Cali you have a good idea what I am talking about.

You've been warned:p

Bungalo Bill
03-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Then you announce you're doing accountancy

Well accounting was sort of a different and weird thing that happened. I have already mentioned that my degree is in Human Learning Theory, Instructional Design with a minor in Business. So my natural bent was to be a corporate trainer. It wasn't until I landed a software training job that things changed. I have always liked numbers, puzzles, chess, you know thinking things. I also grasped software connectivity pretty well (no software engineer) so when I was out on the field that came in handy.

So when I had to train our client's accounting departments to use our accounting software, I dove deep into debits and credits! The more I dove, the more I loved it! The more I learned about P&L's, General Ledgers, and Journals, the more I said to myself "WHAT THE HELL HAVE I BEEN DOING? I NEED TO DO THIS!". So I did. :) Love it! Took 42 years to find this out.

then moving to Idaho

Well I am sort of a country boy. When I grew up in California, it was pretty country around here (1967). I lived on the beach in San Clemente, CA. Learned to surf, play volleyball and tennis at a very young age. I got good at all three. I went to San Diego St.for a couple years and knew I was never going to make a career out of tennis. I hated school (I was 20) and wanted to get the hell out of town. So I joined the U.S. Coast Guard and got into Search and Rescue.

Got stationed in Hawaii - I loved Hawaii. It was a surfer's paradise. I lived smack on the beach, couldn't get any closer. I lived in front of my favorite break (GAS CHAMBERS, pictured in my Avatar). When you surfed in Hawaii for 7 years and then come back to California to surf, it isn't the same. In fact, I haven't surfed in an awful longtime. The waves suck here, I am spoiled, the people are crappy, and I had my fill. End of surfing.

In Hawaii my roommate was the owner of the original shirt and decal manufacturer for Local Motion. So we surfed 7 hours a day as many days as we could! I got my fill. :) Gas Chambers is a rock throw from Pipeline.

I have a family and the cost of living in California is pretty high. I want to raise my kids in a good place. I also want to snow board. In Boise, we have friends and I can have it all, snowboarding, tennis, camping, fishing, whatever....

then unbelievably going to the dark side of a SH backhand.Man you're getting like the rest of us

Yeah the backhand. My onehander will never be what it can be unless I get in shape. You have to have the ability to quickly go from preparation to forward momentum for a successful onehander. I am still working on it. Dont get me wrong, I can really tag the sucker, it is getting it to be consistent, that is the real issue.

Before long you'll be worrying about your pension and looking out of the window at the rain!!!

I was already doing that! lol I have three kids and that is sometimes enough to ask yourself "now why did I want kids?". I am planning to run a little kids camp where I live and help kids learn tennis. It isn't going to cost much and hopefully we will see a good turnout.

Best wishes with you're move and life changes BB .I hope it all works out for you.

Thanks! We can't wait. We really love the place we will be settling into. It will be very nice.

bcaz
03-16-2006, 09:48 PM
God bless you and yours, man -- peace.
BC

ask1ed
03-16-2006, 10:11 PM
I was in Idaho once, Cour de alene, off the Montana side. It was dark, cloudy, not a tree in sight, dreary trailer park type of town, with small rolling hills, but that was 30yrs. ago, and it's probably better by now. Looked like buffalo country before the fences went up, just waiting for the snow to come down.

lanky
03-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Interesting life you've had BB.Now don't break any of those weak old bones snow-boarding-and take care of those cartilages in the knees!

Bungalo Bill
03-17-2006, 05:22 AM
Interesting life you've had BB.Now don't break any of those weak old bones snow-boarding-and take care of those cartilages in the knees!

Who you calling old? ;)

kevhen
03-17-2006, 06:16 AM
I live near the University of Iowa which is located in Ohio City, Idaho but that is a ways from Boise. They use to sell t-shirts like that since people out East don't know the difference between the 3 states. Potatoes and corn are all the same.

States of confusion article
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local/story_txt.asp?date=033004&ID=s1504155

Freedom
04-24-2006, 11:04 AM
How did the move go, Bill?

TennisParent
04-24-2006, 12:16 PM
How did the move go, Bill?

Yes Bill, I was also wondering how it went. Please shoot me an email. Got some pretty cool news to share w/ you regarding our little tennis war!