PDA

View Full Version : String meter

kwlam128
06-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Does anyone uses a string meter? Do you think it is useful in improving the accuracy of sting tension or your game? Does it worth the cost ($29.95)? Would you recommend it to your friends?

Gaines Hillix
06-19-2004, 07:31 AM
kwlam128, the stringmeter is a handy tool to ck your or a customer's string tension over time to see if it has lost tension. You can also use it to ck the tension on the same racquet from string job to string job to see if you are creating a consistent result. I've also used it to ck customers racquets to see if they are exceptionally low on tension. However, it is not accuarate enough to use for cking the actual tension and compare it to what the machine was set to. I have found on softer strings it usually reads at least 5 lbs. lower than the reference tension set on the machine. On stiffer strings, like Lux ALU Power, it seems to be closer. A machine like the ERT700 is more accurate, but costs a lot more. I am neutral on recommending the Stringmeter. It depends on your expectations and what you are trying to achieve.

rubyou
06-19-2004, 10:59 AM
If the stringmeter was an accurate instrument, then every stringer would have one . I don't trust it. The RDC is the only way to go, but not everyone can afford one.

kwlam128
06-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Thank you for your opinions. I have 1 more question: does the string meter has a high consistency (in other words, are the measurements reproducible)?

passerofgasses
06-20-2004, 12:55 AM
I love my stringmeter because I can tell how consistent I'm stringing my racket, but I can only tell this by measuring strings of the same length, so I compare the middle 2 mains, then the two next to those, etc. I do believe it's very accurate in giving a reproducible number (even though it's a wrong number). Remeasuring a string supposedly gives a lower reading due to stretch, but I find it measures within a "pound" just about every time.

Like Gaines said, what do you want to achieve with it? I like it because it gives me a better idea about a stringjob than just banging it against my palm and listening to it or pressing it with my thumbs and seeing how much it deflects. I can also judge the stringjobs of others in terms of consistency and if it's a familiar string, I can sort of tell what tension it was done at, but it's still just a guess.

It's cheap plastic surrounding 2 accurately spaced metal prongs attached to a cheap spring that I'm thinking may or may not break after some extended usage. That said, I'm glad I bought it and I'm glad they make it because for me its value is well above its pricetag.

You know, atssports has it for $20, but they're out of stock it looks like. $30 seems like a lot to pay. I got mine on ****.

hofertennis
06-20-2004, 11:55 PM
here, here. Every stringer probably does have a String Meter. I use it also and measure every racquet I string. It shows the tension loss over time and it is very consistant.