PDA

View Full Version : Best String for younger players

K!ck5w3rvE
06-18-2004, 08:24 PM
What do you think is the best string for younger players (about 9-10)? I need to choose a string for a younger player (9 years old). I'm thinking of going for a thinner gauge for better comfort and touch, but what string do you recommend?Thanks.

Deuce
06-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Leoina 66 and 77.

Nice, comfortable string with good touch - and won't do any damage to young, fragile arm/elbows.

PHSTennis
06-18-2004, 09:58 PM
go thinner... hes 9, mostly likely hes not as strong as a grown man or a teen... so he can take advantage of thinner guage, the thicker would do him no good cause it would never break... give him some multi or something, ask him if he likes if when he restring... 9 year old I would use 18g... ;) IMO...

K!ck5w3rvE
06-19-2004, 01:45 AM
Thats what I thought, thinner gauge...look in the first post lol.

Steve Huff
06-19-2004, 07:28 AM
First, I would NOT go with a polyester. At that age, I don't see that the player would be able to make a distinction between a 16 and 17g string. I would use a softer synthetic gut. If you use a thicker string, just string it a couple of pounds less than you would a thinner string. Here are some inexpensive strings that are more than adequate for a 9-10 yr old:

Prince Synthetic Original
Gosen OG Micro
Babolat Super Fine Play
Head Synthetic
Gamma Synthetic
Wilson Synthetic
Toa Gold
Velocity Synthetic (comes in a rainbow color)
Technifibre Synthetic

If you want to spend a little more and make it look a little fancier for a kid, try Prince Lightening XX. It has a very unique look to it.