PDA

View Full Version : My pics from Pacific Life Open (Fed,Haas,Santoro,Andreev,etc)

Shaolin
03-17-2006, 12:24 AM
I was there for mainly the 2nd and 3rd rounds and got to see some great matches. You can check out some of my pics here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/e296/shaolin72/Pacific%20Life%20Open%20pics/?start=0

Some of the highlights/lowlights...

Highlights:
Got to see Igor Andreev's matches vs Tursunov and Soderling. He hits with tons of pace and massive amounts of spin on his FH. Pretty big serve too. Not a big surprise at all how he took out Roddick.

Rochus vs Wawrinka. This match was played in the freezing cold but was very high quality. Rochus makes so many insane gets, it has to be a nightmare to play him. Wawrinka would hit what looked like four would-be winners in a row and Rochus wouuld get them back.

Richard Gasquet (vs Kevin Kim). I never got to see any huge backhand winners (didnt see the whole match) but his footwork was really amazing. Ive never seen a player with such active feet, taking little adjustment steps every millisecond.

Federer/Allegro vs Grosjean/Gasquet in dubs. Although Fed didnt look particularly motivated I had almost courtside seats so it was cool to see Fed from about 10 feet away (somehow I got good seats, I think it was karma for my tickets being messed up royally and ending up with nosebleeds in the stadium 1).

Lowlights:
Traffic. Dont try to get there on time for a match. Leave either early or late. People were so stressed out that a fight broke out between the two people next to me in the parking area.

Food. The food sucks and its expensive, plus theres long lines.

The guy behind me at the Berdych vs Henman match. Note to this guy and others like him: Youre doing too much. No one is paying you to provide point by point commmentary on the match. We know that its break point, especially when the score is right there 20 feet away on the scoreboard.

Anyway it was well worth going to and Ill be there again next year....

dscw
03-17-2006, 03:13 AM
cool, thanks for the pics

gully
03-17-2006, 03:49 AM
Hey, Saholin, nice photos. I was at some of the same matches: Tursonov-Andreev, Fed's doubles, Clement-Haas, Baghdatis-Bjorkman. (I've got photos in another thread.)

Even though we weren't sitting in the same section, I had a guy solemnly intoning the score behind me on every point of the doubles, too -- and two other matches while we were there. Yeesh!

The traffic was horrible Sunday, but not bad at all the other days.

oscar_2424
03-17-2006, 06:43 AM
nice pictures!

GRANITECHIEF
03-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Shaolin, those are cool pics. Thanks for posting them. I was also at almost all the same matches as you. We stayed at the Hyatt and there were shuttles running continuously, which helped a bunch for the traffic and parking.

Still looking to get some match play in with you.

GC

nn
03-17-2006, 08:32 AM
thanks of pic

Shyyre
03-17-2006, 08:59 AM
those are great! i'm impressed.

rilokiley
03-17-2006, 09:09 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/shaolin72/Pacific%20Life%20Open%20pics/IMG_2568.jpg
Are they the ballboys/girls near the net? Just asking 'cause Frodo Baggins wants to know how tall they are compared to tennis pros.

Shaolin
03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Glad you guys like the pics. Ive got a bunch of video clips that Ill post when I get a chance.

GraniteChief--I was going to contact you when I came through Santa Barbara but it was raining really hard. Ill email you so we can hit soon. Cool that some of us were at the same matches...

Davai
03-18-2006, 08:55 PM
I was there for mainly the 2nd and 3rd rounds and got to see some great matches. You can check out some of my pics here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/e296/shaolin72/Pacific%20Life%20Open%20pics/?start=0

Some of the highlights/lowlights...

Highlights:
Got to see Igor Andreev's matches vs Tursunov and Soderling. He hits with tons of pace and massive amounts of spin on his FH. Pretty big serve too. Not a big surprise at all how he took out Roddick.

Rochus vs Wawrinka. This match was played in the freezing cold but was very high quality. Rochus makes so many insane gets, it has to be a nightmare to play him. Wawrinka would hit what looked like four would-be winners in a row and Rochus wouuld get them back.

Richard Gasquet (vs Kevin Kim). I never got to see any huge backhand winners (didnt see the whole match) but his footwork was really amazing. Ive never seen a player with such active feet, taking little adjustment steps every millisecond.

Federer/Allegro vs Grosjean/Gasquet in dubs. Although Fed didnt look particularly motivated I had almost courtside seats so it was cool to see Fed from about 10 feet away (somehow I got good seats, I think it was karma for my tickets being messed up royally and ending up with nosebleeds in the stadium 1).

Lowlights:
Traffic. Dont try to get there on time for a match. Leave either early or late. People were so stressed out that a fight broke out between the two people next to me in the parking area.

Food. The food sucks and its expensive, plus theres long lines.

The guy behind me at the Berdych vs Henman match. Note to this guy and others like him: Youre doing too much. No one is paying you to provide point by point commmentary on the match. We know that its break point, especially when the score is right there 20 feet away on the scoreboard.

Anyway it was well worth going to and Ill be there again next year....

Great Photos. Can you tell us what camera you were using?

FedererUberAlles
03-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Davai=Come on in Russian?

simi
03-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Nice pictures. You got me in the crowd of one of your Santoro shots. He is one, of many, that I specifically wanted to watch that day.

Funny story about the traffic. When we got there, paid, and followed the other cars into the lot. Suddenly, they pulled us aside and told us to "go over there". Turns out that they were routing all of the Mercedes to the front because they are one of the major sponsors. We stayed till after the last match, so there wasn't any traffic when we left. It was getting pretty cold and most people bugged out when the sun went down. Glad I stayed because I was able to see Nestor and Knowles, who beat the Bryan twins for the championship earlier today.

simi
03-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Great Photos. Can you tell us what camera you were using?

EXIF data shows he used a Canon Powershot S500, at least for the Santoro shot I am in..

gregraven
03-19-2006, 02:33 AM
[...] Turns out that they were routing all of the Mercedes to the front because they are one of the major sponsors. We stayed till after the last match, so there wasn't any traffic when we left.[...]

They are charging for M-B parking now? Yikes. I used to take the wife's car just to get the free parking. Glad I got a parking pass with my credential this year.

Davai
03-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Davai=Come on in Russian?

Yeah that's what I translated it to.

EXIF data shows he used a Canon Powershot S500, at least for the Santoro shot I am in..

Thanks, I didn't see it at first.

egitserp
03-19-2006, 01:06 PM
nice pictures...

Shaolin
03-19-2006, 02:02 PM
simi--
Thats cool that youre in one of the pics...I was really excited to see Santoro play. He plays so unique. Too bad he lost the break he had in the 3rd set. He had that horrible game when he tried to S&V every point for some reason, got broke at love and then went straight down the tubes. I did get to see some vintage slices from him which were staying about 4 inches off the ground. I remember a slice acute angle drop-shot passing shot (thats the only way to descrile it) that he almost made that had Malisse laughing because it was so insane.

The camera I used was indeed a Powershot S500. I dont recommend it though, it has barely any zoom.

Ill have to buy a Benzo so I can get better parking next year.