PDA

View Full Version : What's the best tennis ball

Tom Rohrbacher
06-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Ok, let's get the ball rolling.......
I tend to prefer the USPTA Pro Penn ball but some fellow pros are saying that the Dunlop Grand Prix are better. The Wilson US Open balls seem to be livelier. What's your take?

TennsDog
06-19-2004, 03:25 PM
My personal favorite is Dunlop brand, any kind. I try to stay away from Wilson US Open, as I have a couple of experiences with them having something loose inside and rattling around. I like the feel of Dunlop.

gmlasam
06-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Ok, let's get the ball rolling.......
I tend to prefer the USPTA Pro Penn ball but some fellow pros are saying that the Dunlop Grand Prix are better. The Wilson US Open balls seem to be livelier. What's your take?Based on my experience with Dunlop, Penn, and Wilson, I would say Dunlop is the most durable and long lasting overall. Dunlop does not lose pressure as quickly, and the felt also last much longer. Wilson would last second for pressure lost, but the felt does not last longer than dunlop and Penn. Penn would rank second for felt durability but air pressure does not last very long compared to dunlop and wilson.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Match-Point
06-19-2004, 04:26 PM
gmlasam, your experiences are identical to mine. Dunlop Grand Prix, IMO, is the best hard court ball, by far. They are not widely sold, so I have to order from the net.

PHSTennis
06-19-2004, 07:33 PM
I dont really like US Open Balls... We used them for a hs tennis match.. I sucked with it... I get more bite playing with the penns...

kninetik
06-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Dunlop maintains pressure the longest and unlike Penn, the ball didnt get all fuzzy after an hour of hitting.

RickN
06-19-2004, 09:20 PM
The Wilson doublecore balls are quite durable.

kninetik
06-19-2004, 09:56 PM
I've seen a description of those. I went out looking for them in large sport retailers but none carry them.... How is the double-core compared to normal tennis balls?

kreative
06-19-2004, 11:28 PM
dunlop grand prix are by far my fave. durable, and felt lasts. pro penns are also nice, but only last one outing before feeling flat. wilsons are rock hard, and fuzz doens't last.

PHSTennis
06-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Double-cores are for practice... they are much heavier than normal balls, and you wouldnt want to use them for a set, it lasts pretty long but the fuzz doesnt last like kreative mentioned.

Kirko
06-20-2004, 08:29 PM
The best are Slaz. with Dunlop Grand Prix an extremely cloes 2nd. The rest are not worth any mention at all.

Eug
06-21-2004, 07:30 PM
I'd have to agree with Kirko for the most part. Slazenger balls are highly visible due to there optic yellow felt and simply perform the best. Dunlops are my everyday tennis ball. Penn tennis balls come next and the rock hard wilsons are last.

Edit: The wilson US Open balls have some felt problems. After I play with them, the felt turns all nappy and super hairy. Dunlop rules.

finchy
06-21-2004, 08:09 PM
dunlops are great. they hold air quite nicely. currently, i use wilson titanium core balls. they are playing very well. they are holding air very very good. and the fuzz isnt wearing off one bit.

waterpro
06-22-2004, 07:49 AM
I haven't used the Dunlop Grand Prix, but I have used the Dunlop Championship or whatever their other line is and I like them better than Penn and Wilsons.

Will
06-23-2004, 03:41 AM
Slazenger- Grass Court Balls for Grass: Hard Court for Hard:All Court for Clay etc.. Easy to get in Australia

K!ck5w3rvE
06-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Wilson US Open's are the most lively by a long way, i dont like the double core but slazenger are great. The US Open's wear out too quickly, and don't try and play with Penn if the weather is cold. There you go.

shissncg
06-26-2004, 04:53 AM
The dunlops last the longest, by far. The Penns are good for 1 set then they fuzz up. The wilson US Opens are ok for a while but they get pretty fuzzy and sound a little dead. The regular wilson balls aren't too good.

A. Tacker
07-06-2004, 11:00 PM
I've been around the game for over 30 years and can tell you that the Dunlop Absorber is the best ball out there currently. They wear quite well and don't lose their shape, while Wilson, Penn and others wear like crap and their covers become smaller, while their seems become wider. What's more, they're also better for your arm and and have 15% less shock, multiply that 15% by the amount of times you stroke a tennis ball in one match....one week....one year...

rooski
07-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Suprising comments....especially about Dunlop balls. FWIW here's my take on the balls that I play:

Wilson US Open - Great feel, good pressure maintenance, poor wear, great sound on impact, (my favorite ball)

Wilson Championship - gone way down in quality , feel, and durability over the years...but not as bad IMO as Pro Penns (below).

Wilson Ti ball - Awful. Terrible feel, too big, too heavy...but they last a long time....too long. I hate them so much that I try to give them away anytime I am forced to play with them

Dunlop All Court & "Championship" - horrible feel, spongy. They also feel and look OS to me. I must say, I have never ever really liked Dunlop balls (30 yrs experience) but after reading some of the above comments I may have to try the Grand Prix XD's

Pro Penn - Used to be my fav's but QC on these balls leaves a lot to be desired. The feel on the newer versions of Pro Penn feel like they have to much felt on them to me. They feel hard on contact, and make a muted sound when they hit the ground and when they hit the strings. They also seem to be too heavy. My least favorite ball at the moment.

I haven't seen the Wilson Double Core and Pro Staffs in stores yet so I haven't played them. The Pro Staffs sound interesting so I'll give them a try if I ever see them.

louisc
07-22-2004, 12:59 AM
The new Prince NX Tour balls followed by Slazenger Ultra Vis Hydroguard, IMO.

PrestigeClassic
07-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Just bought a couple cases of Dunlop Grand Prix for clay/indoor courts, I think the ones that are 15 percent brighter than other balls or something. We'll see how they do on some red clay. Can Slazenger balls be had for American prices anywhere?

sorkang724
07-24-2004, 02:01 AM
DUNLOP all the way !!!

kicker
02-14-2006, 03:36 PM
I cant for the life of me figure out why they were discontinued!

devilish_duke
02-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Dunlop Grand Prix and CHampionships

tennisphotog
02-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Slazenger are the best, hands down. Dunlop Grand Prix in second.

Michael82
02-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Just bought a couple cases of Dunlop Grand Prix for clay/indoor courts, I think the ones that are 15 percent brighter than other balls or something. We'll see how they do on some red clay. Can Slazenger balls be had for American prices anywhere?

Yes! I found one site. search the tennis+b o o m (no space). If the slazenger balls are in stock, the price is ridiculous. They were sold 9 pounds (16 bucks) per can two years ago in UK. But I would not recommend Slazenger UltraVis for clay court though.

serveitup911
02-15-2006, 09:15 AM
1) Dunlop Grand Prix
2) Wilson U.S. Open
3) Pro Penn

quest01
02-15-2006, 12:37 PM
The best tennis balls are the Penn ATP Extra Duty. Why i feel this is the best ball because its the most popular brand. Penn is a brand that you will find in pretty much any store. It is also the most widely used brand on the court. Its also the official brand tennis ball of the ATP tour. Penn is used in more tournaments than any other brand. The reason why its used the most is simply because its the best.

Michael82
02-15-2006, 12:40 PM
The best tennis balls are the Penn ATP Extra Duty. Why i feel this is the best ball because its the most popular brand. Penn is a brand that you will find in pretty much any store. It is also the most widely used brand on the court. Its also the official brand tennis ball of the ATP tour. Penn is used in more tournaments than any other brand. The reason why its used the most is simply because its the best.

A=B, B=C, Hence, A=A! Great!

texcoug
02-16-2006, 09:36 AM
dunlops are great. they hold air quite nicely. currently, i use wilson titanium core balls. they are playing very well. they are holding air very very good. and the fuzz isnt wearing off one bit.

I have played with some of these Ti balls -- they never die, but they are bit heavy.

texcoug
02-16-2006, 09:41 AM
gmlasam, your experiences are identical to mine. Dunlop Grand Prix, IMO, is the best hard court ball, by far. They are not widely sold, so I have to order from the net.

I would be interested in buying some for reasonable prices. I play with Penn ATPs -- a guy I play with bought 20 cases from a place like Sam's Club and sells them to me for $15/case (of 12). Hard to beat those prices. I would like to try Prince or Dunlop for reasonable prices (or Slaz).

denver82
02-16-2006, 09:43 AM
I like the Double Cores for training as they are decent and last ages! However, I would have to say Slazenger is my favourite overall, especially for playability.

Ljubicic for number1
02-16-2006, 01:17 PM
My take:
Dunlop Grand Prix last long but feel very heavy.
Wilson double core just plain bad
Wilson US Open great on carpet dont last on a hard court
Slazenger hardcourt balls in a class of their own on all surfaces!!!! love em.

nwidiyantoro
02-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Definetelly "Dunlop Fort" it's the most playable tennis ball. Not too heavy and not to light, it's a stable tennis ball.

ttwarrior1
02-18-2006, 12:16 PM
i just dont understand how we cant agree. ONe has to be better. It cant be a preference thing with balls

DADYO
02-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Babolat all the way, there's nothing that feels as nice as hitting a babolat ball that just came out of the tube :D

louis netman
02-20-2006, 05:29 PM
A bit pricier, the Dunlop ABZORBER ball is THE BEST ball made. 15% less shock (multiply that times the # of times you strike the ball).... AND it wears nicely and uniformly...Penn, & Wilson can not compare..

Proud Pusher
02-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Where can I get the Dunlop Absorbers? I was under the impression they
were discontinued awhile back?

Thanks, Ken

cruzersi99
02-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Dunlop????

They may last a long time, they are great if you are a teaching pro and feeding balls, but these things are hard as rocks, and terrible for your arm. I can't stand doing any continous hitting with the Dunlop (i've never hit the "absorber" model).

I'm partial to any classic (non-practice) Wilson, or Penn ball for extending hitting or match play. One hour and done.

ttwarrior1
02-21-2006, 12:20 PM
people keep saying grand prix balls are heavy, if thats the case im not interested

Aussie Baseliner
02-22-2006, 02:24 AM
I would have to agree with other users slazenger balls seem the most consistent in regards to palyability , wear and performance but I play on syn grass so judgement call should be made , meaning different brands for different surfaces. I also believe that my club gets a discount on Slazenger for the use of their tennis balls . I have played with Wilson , Penn etc but none seems to last (imo)

peter
02-22-2006, 02:39 AM

Oh. They _are_ pretty good. If you throw them away every 9'th game or so and replace them with new fresh ones...

Ash_Smith
02-22-2006, 02:50 AM
The Slazenger Wimbledon Ultra Vis ball is easily the best ball out there, if I couldn't have those I'd probably go for Pro Penn ATP.

Aeropro joe
02-22-2006, 06:09 AM
i use the grand prix's exclusively and nothing compares as of yet but i want to try the slazenger balls where can i get them?

Aeropro joe
02-22-2006, 06:14 AM
this is all well and good if you want to bring 5 cans of balls with you for each match, in the pros they open up new cans during the match so the durability is not an issue but for the rest of us, we need a ball that lasts, so you can still afford to string your racket up.

Michael82
02-22-2006, 08:02 AM
i use the grand prix's exclusively and nothing compares as of yet but i want to try the slazenger balls where can i get them?

If you look carefully on page 2, you'll get the answer.

Fatmike
02-22-2006, 08:27 AM
I tried many and wilson championship (that are amongst the least expensives) are the one who last longer....

tennisnj
02-22-2006, 10:09 AM
What about the Slazenger Ultra High Vis ball on dirty hard courts? Aside from seeing the ball better, they definately didn't last as long as any other ball we normally use. Did I just get a bum can? Are they not known for their play on 'dirty' hard courts?

Aeropro joe
02-22-2006, 05:28 PM
If you look carefully on page 2, you'll get the answer.
ah yes i see how clumsy of me sorry :P

Calboymatt
02-22-2006, 06:07 PM
i like Penn ATP they are a good all around ball.

Rule26
03-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Just to update - I googled weight of tennis balls and two results caught my eye - 1) the ITF has published range of size / weight and rebound? - tolerance for tennis balls

2) - there was an article about how pros were complaining that slazenger wimbledon balls were too heavy (perhaps only the grass court versions)

Has anyone ever taken the task to verify which ball is heavier? or measure their bounces - sort of like how TW provides their own measurements of racket swingweights independently from the manufacturers

blue12
03-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Any wilson.

Rule26
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
any wilson will be heavier?

mutantducky
03-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Penn ATP Extra Duty are fine. Haven't used them as much.
I personally like Wilson Titanium much more than Wilson Open and regular Penn. I like the Titanium because they can easily last a match but sometimes with Penn the durability is an issue.
If I were to get a box though I would go with Dunlop. Regular or grand prix.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
03-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Wilson US Open, Slazengar Wimby, Dunlop grand prince..

ESP#1
03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Penn Championship seem smaller than most and lose pressure quick

Wilson Champ have the least bite but last a bit longer

Slaz seem really hard, i notice this when i bought a can and if you watch any of last years matches it sounds as if the players were hitting rocks

Penn ATP have the best feel but they are not the most durable

Dunlop grand prix seems to be the best overall, great feel, very durable, some may complain about them being heavy but i dont mind the weight.

mdjenders
03-10-2009, 06:49 PM
i like dunlop grand prix and prince tour. yes, they both fluff up. yes, they are a bit firm. however, the bounce is consistent far longer than any other ball, IMO, and the firmness suits topspinners like me. i hate these lame balls that pancake on the strings after 3 games.

william7gr
03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I like Wilson US opens

dennistennis
03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Dunlop is very good, hard courts and clay, a litlle heavier but adds to the durability. The worst I have ever used were Gamma balls,=== aweful!

Gorecki
03-11-2009, 02:43 AM
Dunlop Fort and Slazenger Ultra Vis...

armsty
03-11-2009, 03:30 AM
Slazenger + Head

origmarm
03-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Dunlop Fort are really great balls I find

mikeler
03-11-2009, 04:08 AM
i like dunlop grand prix and prince tour. yes, they both fluff up. yes, they are a bit firm. however, the bounce is consistent far longer than any other ball, IMO, and the firmness suits topspinners like me. i hate these lame balls that pancake on the strings after 3 games.

On clay, there is no better ball for a player who hits with heavy topspin than the Prince Tour. On hard courts I like Penn ATP Tour and plain old Wilson balls. I can't stand the Wilson US Open balls, they look like a ball that has been sitting at the bottom of a teaching pros basket after the first few games.

jrod
03-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Slazenger Ultra Vis. Brightest and longest lasting.

Rob Johnson
03-11-2009, 05:44 AM
I love the Wilson US Opens, but I've also found the felt doesn't last very long. But they're durable, though.

Ditto the point about Penns not lasting very long. Every tennis ball my dog has as a play toy is a Penn. That's actually the only reason I buy them anymore.

I've also found the Prince balls hold up well. The club where my USTA team practices supplies Princes, and they hold up well for repeated use.

I've never used Slazenger or Dunlops, but now I'm wanting to give them a shot. I'm not sure if Dunlops are available in my local sporting goods store, but I know Slazenger is.

scraps234
03-11-2009, 05:50 AM
wilson dunlop penn prince are all gr8

Rule26
03-11-2009, 06:12 AM
What if we could have some more posters who play a ton also contribute to the rating based on more specific criteria instead of overall brand favorite?

For example by court type - Rate balls by their average:

Relative weight within spec (lowest to highest)
Relative diameter – fresh
Relative diameter – (after 3 sets to 2 weeks?)
Initial pressure [durometer (sp?) like roller wheels 68a vs 82a] – hardness
Pressure retention – (after 3 sets to 2 weeks?)
Bounce – fresh (lowest to highest)
Bounce – retention (after 3 sets to 2 weeks?)
Felt fuzziness – fresh (lowest to highest)
Felt fuzziness – retention (after 3 sets to 2 weeks?)
Ave number of rejects (balls that do not meet spec.)

Then maybe we could have as close to a consensus within our obvious limits

So for people who open new cans “almost every time” on _______ surface, we may conject that a particular brand / series ball favors … pushers or sluggers or may benefit reducing arm injury .. Or for people want to make their balls last a long time these may serve you etc.

Just a thought.

How to do this scientifically/objectively - I honestly haven't a clue, but maybe the people who play alot more than me could contribute?

Thanks

Ilove10nis
03-11-2009, 06:40 AM
I like Wilson US open ball. it's great for playing matches or game for 2-3 hours. I like to open a fresh can for a match or game anyway!!!If you want to used for practice or put in the ball hopper dunlop are the great one.

ESP#1
03-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Wilson US open balls are very fast and lack feel, durability is ok, they arent to bad once you get used to them but penn atp and d grand prix are much slower

Bolivian Ace
03-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Wilson or Penn Dunlop suck!!!!

Racer41c
03-11-2009, 07:59 AM
#1 Prince Tour
#2 Dunlop GP
#3 ??? I have no #3

Sleepstream
03-11-2009, 08:04 AM
I still prefer the Slazenger Wimbledon balls.

I've received some Wilson US Open balls that have had exceptional durability. They still have much of their bounce left after 2 weeks of being open and used several times.

It's odd because my previous experience with the US Open balls was nearly the opposite.

mfischer
03-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Dunlop Roland Garros all the way!

lgbalfa
02-03-2012, 01:41 PM
anyone use the volkl tennis balls?

i bought 2 cans at a tennis shop the other day.

have not played with them yet.

ArliHawk
02-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Wilson us open extra duty for me

tyu1314
02-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I prefer penn extraduty over wilson usopen extraduty, i think the fuzz on wilson usopen does no last as long as the penn ball.

slagvaerk
02-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Slazenger (but not on clay)

Cnote
02-04-2012, 11:41 AM
I like the Wilson US Open heavy duty, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Slazenger balls recently.

PrinceMoron
02-04-2012, 02:28 PM
The quality of nearly all balls has plummeted since Head got the contract for the pro tour. All the other makers have just given up. Slazengers are just rubbish now, such a shame.

Try the new Tretorn softs, not exactly soft, but a better quality rubber than most balls.
Thank G*d those titanium balls seemed to have disappeared but all the cheapskates still buy 3 packs of Wilsons in the red tube - they are the worst ball ever made. What do people expect for that money.

The best balls are still made in a little factory in the UK, but 99% of their output is now promotional stuff in company colours.

Davis Cup Fan
02-04-2012, 04:32 PM
I like prince tour the best they last much longer. Us Open are great at first but don't last long.

lgbalfa
02-04-2012, 04:48 PM
any thoughts on the volkl balls?

tlm
02-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I have used them all and nothing compares to penn pro penn plus extra duty. I can't believe more people have not tried these balls.

heat010
02-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I have used them all and nothing compares to penn pro penn plus extra duty. I can't believe more people have not tried these balls.

My pro shop mentioned that the + balls are being replaced by the marathons. I bought 1 of their last 2 cases of the + balls since they will vanish forever. Love these balls and the Prince Tour plus ones too.

TaihtDuhShaat
02-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Dunlop A-Player regular duty. Medium fast, lively, bright, holds pressure, never fluff up, thin felt with thicker core, bounce very true to the input shot.

TennisLovaLova
02-06-2012, 10:39 AM
For clay I think dunlop fort are the best

PrinceMoron
02-07-2012, 10:35 AM
For clay I think dunlop fort are the best

Strangely I like them but not on clay. Come off the court too fast.

Sam1483
04-19-2012, 08:44 AM
I've always liked the feel of Head ATP balls, but always felt the flight and bounce change significantly during a long session.

I've created my own ball brand in the UK (Orb), which I think matches the feel of Head ATP, but remains more consistent throughout the lifecycle of the ball.

Definitely would recommend to try them out!

www.orbtennis.com

ArliHawk
04-19-2012, 10:45 AM
The Babolat Roland Garros All Court would be nominee. But they are pricey, so I'm hoping Penn ATP will be a good substitute at a much lower price point.

DrpShot!
04-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Dunlop.

10 char

ArliHawk
04-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Dunlop.

10 char

Tried the Grand Prix and IMO they are hard as rocks. Not a big fan.

corbind
04-20-2012, 09:41 AM
The best tennis balls are the Penn ATP Extra Duty. Why i feel this is the best ball because its the most popular brand...

It seems your logic in this particular sentence is flawed. Using that logic i can say

McDonalds is the most popular restaurant in the U.S. therefore the best. Most of us do not think of them as the best fast foot joint let alone general eatery.

Penn ATP Extra Duty may actually be the best ball and I respect everyone's opinion -- even the guys who for them Kmart Special balls best.

ZeroSkid
04-20-2012, 09:13 PM
It seems your logic in this particular sentence is flawed. Using that logic i can say

McDonalds is the most popular restaurant in the U.S. therefore the best. Most of us do not think of them as the best fast foot joint let alone general eatery.

Penn ATP Extra Duty may actually be the best ball and I respect everyone's opinion -- even the guys who for them Kmart Special balls best.

Coming from Wilson and dunlop tennis balls the Penn ATP balls feel hard and small. Durability wise all were pretty close but the Wilson was a bit less than the other two and price wise I could get a 4 can of dunlop balls for less than the price of the ATP balls. I also found this: http://www.galttech.com/research/sports/tennis-balls.php

ramos77
04-22-2012, 10:51 PM
I've always liked Slazenger hardcourt

parasailing
04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Penn ATP are just to hard on the arm and shoulder. They feel like pressure less balls but if you can handle them, they are decent tennis balls.

My favorite is the Pro Penn USPTA ones that are softer but have good durability and keep their felt pretty well.

max pl
04-23-2012, 03:59 AM
you must be a small child if you find Penn ATPs hard on the arm.

theyre a bit stiffer than US Opens the first couple hours but then break in to perfection.

mikeler
04-23-2012, 04:45 AM
The Babolat Roland Garros All Court would be nominee. But they are pricey, so I'm hoping Penn ATP will be a good substitute at a much lower price point.

Just picked up a can of the Babolat Roland Garros All Court balls. Looking forward to trying them out.

sportsfan1
04-23-2012, 04:45 AM
Poll would have been great with this thread, to quickly check which ones are most recommended.

ramos77
04-23-2012, 04:53 AM
dont you guys get slazenger balls in the states?

best ball ever

ArliHawk
04-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Just picked up a can of the Babolat Roland Garros All Court balls. Looking forward to trying them out.

Can't wait to hear what you think. Love all the info you gave on the multi thread. Of course, I could be wrong about these balls.

Still haven't tried my Penn ATP's yet, so I hope I like them.

parasailing
04-23-2012, 08:00 PM
you must be a small child if you find Penn ATPs hard on the arm.

theyre a bit stiffer than US Opens the first couple hours but then break in to perfection.

That's the problem, they are stiffer in the first few hours. No other tennis ball I know feels like this unless you talking about hitting with pressureless ones. But if they work for you, that's great but no need to get defensive about it.

The US Open ones are also pretty good. I find the Penn USPTA ones offer the best in terms of durability, bounce, and feel.

mikeler
04-24-2012, 04:38 AM
dont you guys get slazenger balls in the states?

best ball ever

I tried these once. Thought they were just average.

Can't wait to hear what you think. Love all the info you gave on the multi thread. Of course, I could be wrong about these balls.

Still haven't tried my Penn ATP's yet, so I hope I like them.

Are they a faster ball? I'm playing a defensive player tonight, so I'd like something I can put a little more juice on.

That's the problem, they are stiffer in the first few hours. No other tennis ball I know feels like this unless you talking about hitting with pressureless ones. But if they work for you, that's great but no need to get defensive about it.

The US Open ones are also pretty good. I find the Penn USPTA ones offer the best in terms of durability, bounce, and feel.

The USPTA balls are pretty good.

ArliHawk
04-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Are they a faster ball? I'm playing a defensive player tonight, so I'd like something I can put a little more juice on.

They seem fast to me.

tennisrookie57101
04-24-2012, 06:21 PM
pro penn marathon... those balls last forever and are great

NJ1
04-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Penn ATP extra duty for me. Good balls at a good price. I like Wilson US Open XDs too, but I prefer not to pay the price premium they have recently gained.

ArliHawk
04-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Penn ATP extra duty for me. Good balls at a good price. I like Wilson US Open XDs too, but I prefer not to pay the price premium they have recently gained.

Broke out my first can of Penn ATP extra duty last night and enjoyed them. Still slightly prefer the Babolat All Court, but for the $20 price differential, I'll stick with the Penns. Guess I have to, after all I have 23 unopened cans.

mikeler
04-26-2012, 04:51 AM
They seem fast to me.

Finally tried the Babolats last night. They are indeed a very fast ball. I can't think of any ball with such little fuzz. I ended up buying 6 more cans last night. We had some kind of cheaper clay put down last year and the balls tend to just get heavier and heavier as the match wears on. This ball does not seem to suffer from that problem.

ArliHawk
04-26-2012, 05:33 AM
Finally tried the Babolats last night. They are indeed a very fast ball. I can't think of any ball with such little fuzz. I ended up buying 6 more cans last night. We had some kind of cheaper clay put down last year and the balls tend to just get heavier and heavier as the match wears on. This ball does not seem to suffer from that problem.

That's what I noticed, even on a hard court. My next case, I'll probably splurge with the extra $20 and buy these. But the Penn ATP are pretty good, too.

Uvijek Argen
04-28-2012, 08:54 AM

Uff, I didnt like those babolat balls a bit. Goran and I played at OTC a few month backs with those balls and felt so light, almost like racketballs(squash).
Im done from a box of dunlop grand prix and never again neither, I dont know where all the "last long" come from, we are done from those balls half of our hitting time.
So far Penn ATP and Wilson US open are ahead of the game for me.

mikeler
04-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Uff, I didnt like those babolat balls a bit. Goran and I played at OTC a few month backs with those balls and felt so light, almost like racketballs(squash).
Im done from a box of dunlop grand prix and never again neither, I dont know where all the "last long" come from, we are done from those balls half of our hitting time.
So far Penn ATP and Wilson US open are ahead of the game for me.

The US Open balls on clay are pretty good. I don't think the hard court version is quite as good though.

li0scc0
04-28-2012, 01:45 PM
All comparisons are for the top balls, not the junk you get at Target or Walmart.
Best balls, not even close, are the Prince tennis balls. They are usable for quite some time.
Worst for me, by far, are the Wilson balls. They barely have bounce for an entire match.
2nd best are Dunlop.
3rd are Penn.

TheDLink
04-28-2012, 09:56 PM
does. not. matter.

if you believe your game comes down to what kind of tennis balls you use, theres something else going on

louis netman
04-28-2012, 10:02 PM
I love the Dunlop ABZORBER ball!!!

yourmailman
04-29-2012, 01:01 AM
I have found that Dunlop balls are more consistent and seem to last longer.

The Wilson balls I have used drop in playability at an astounding rate.

Slazenger are pretty sturdy as well, but they seem to be priced higher than the Dunlops.

Penn balls are OK. Thats mostly what gets played with in our leagues and tourneys here in AZ. I have found several cans of Penn that contained one ball with much less pressure and basically unplayable.

Never had that with a can on Dunlops. Plus, at some sporting goos stores, you can get the 4 ball cans of Dunlops for the same price as the 3 ball cans of most other brands.

li0scc0
04-29-2012, 06:22 AM
does. not. matter.

if you believe your game comes down to what kind of tennis balls you use, theres something else going on

You must get your tennis balls for free. For those of us who pay money for products, quality matters.

yourmailman
04-29-2012, 08:51 AM

Then why do the pros complain about the different balls used at different events?

max pl
04-29-2012, 09:50 AM
yeh dlink has no idea what he's talking about.

corbind
04-29-2012, 11:35 PM
yeh dlink has no idea what he's talking about.

Maybe he's just too good at tennis to care much which balls are being used. :shock:

ColdSteve
05-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I'd go with the one made by a rubber manufacturing company that's been in business since the 1800's

ArliHawk
05-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd go with the one made by a rubber manufacturing company that's been in business since the 1800's

But they feel like rocks. Like Penn ATP XD okay, but my favorites are still the Babolats. With the price difference, I can happily live with Penn ATP.

levy1
05-20-2012, 02:45 AM
How long will balls last? If I buy a case how fast do I need to use them up?

tjwalker097
05-21-2012, 06:36 PM
US Open series by Wilson are the most common used balls in a tournaments.

Stevo Karlovic
05-21-2012, 09:19 PM
PRO PENN MARATHON!!! People, I've tried them all, over and over again. The latest offerings from Pro Penn are hands the greatest tennis ball ever developed. Regular or Extra Duty. Both are unmatched by anything else. Word.

killer89
06-01-2012, 09:14 PM
PRO PENN MARATHON!!! People, I've tried them all, over and over again. The latest offerings from Pro Penn are hands the greatest tennis ball ever developed. Regular or Extra Duty. Both are unmatched by anything else. Word.

I have to disagree. I don't like the new Pro Penn balls at all.

My college team uses Pro Penn pretty much exclusively for the last 5 years. The balls were fine up until about 2 years ago. Then they started popping. During a typical singles match, I was breaking about 2-3 per match. Not that I cared since I wasn't paying for them, but my coach wasn't happy. We switched over to Wilson US Open for the last year and were happy but the felt didn't last as long.

Now Penn releases this new "Marathon" Pro Penn ball and I don't like them at all. Way too heavy and hard rubber. Very tough to get a consistent hit/bounce and they are hard on the arm. Basically I feel like I'm playing with Dunlop Championships with these new balls.

For now I'll be sticking to Wilson US Opens and just fork out the extra cash for a new can per day.

That being said, if someone doesn't play at a very high level or doesn't have issues with rock hard balls, these new Pro Penn balls could be perfect. They definitely will last longer and have plenty of felt on them.

Kirko
06-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Prince is the very BEST by far ... consistent bounce all the time.

ramos77
06-02-2012, 01:14 AM
A little birdy told me that the majority of balls are all made in the same factory?

Is this true?

ArliHawk
06-02-2012, 02:57 AM
Prince is the very BEST by far ... consistent bounce all the time.

Hopefully they aren't a victim of the Prince bankruptcy.

hrstrat57
06-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Penn ATP Tour are excellent....well worth the extra pennies.....Prince Tour were very good too but for me harder to find. Dunlop Grand Prix used to be amazing....tho haven't hit them in years.

princetohead
06-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Babolat Roland Garros "Clay Court," which is not available in the US, is great on clay court. The sound it makes is really different from other brands. They are very durable to. TW Europe has one, but the shipping charge is killing.

ramos77
06-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Tried a bunch of balls today

Dunlop Fort balls suck, way too hard and colour is faded.

Wilson Australian Open and Slazenger Hardcourt for me still are the best I've tried. Nice and soft and last pretty well. Bright colours etc.

parasailing
06-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Pro Penn USPTA ones are really nice and after playing with them, you can toss them in your ball hopper and they are great for that.

Prince isn't too bad but find the felt goes bald pretty quickly if you play on hard courts.

Penn ATP are just plain hard.

Wilson US Open ones are pretty good but the price has gone up considerably that it isn't worth. The felt are wears out pretty quickly.

netguy
06-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Pro Penn Marathon USPTA are my new favorites tennis balls!

DropTheBaseline
06-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Babolat Roland Garros "Clay Court," which is not available in the US, is great on clay court. The sound it makes is really different from other brands. They are very durable to. TW Europe has one, but the shipping charge is killing.

I live in the US and my pro shop has them in stock for $3.95

princetohead
06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
I live in the US and my pro shop has them in stock for $3.95

Is it really "Roland Garros - Clay Court," OR "Roland Garros - All Court"? I am surprised. (Maybe it is paralell imported...)

Where is that shop? I would be happy buy a case!

mikeler
06-06-2012, 12:42 PM
My current ball of choice is Babolat Roland Garros All Court.

Shangri La
06-06-2012, 01:08 PM
My current ball of choice is Babolat Roland Garros All Court.

How would you compare them to the Prince Tour?

ArliHawk
06-06-2012, 01:33 PM

I really like the Babolat all court, too. And I use them primarily on Hard Courts, while mikeler uses them primarily for clay (I think?).

mikeler
06-06-2012, 04:15 PM

Little bit harder and not quite as lively. They don't fuzz up very much so it is easy to hit through the court with them. The Prince balls from 2 years ago are still my favorite but their QC went down, not much of a surprise they are filing for bankruptcy.

I really like the Babolat all court, too. And I use them primarily on Hard Courts, while mikeler uses them primarily for clay (I think?).

Yep, I've only used them on Har-Tru so far.

Shangri La
06-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Little bit harder and not quite as lively. They don't fuzz up very much so it is easy to hit through the court with them. The Prince balls from 2 years ago are still my favorite but their QC went down, not much of a surprise they are filing for bankruptcy.

Yep, I've only used them on Har-Tru so far.

Okay. Thanks for that.